Boston University

Looks like they sent out acceptances for the Master's program. Congrats to all those people! I wonder when we can expect PhD notifications? It seems like, historically, they are one of the latest schools, often coming out in late Feb/early March.

Don't have my heart set on here (not the best fit), but the funding is good and the cohort is pretty small. Those are perks. And it's in Boston. :)

I emailed the DGS (it was about the Fulbright thing? I've mentioned it before with regards to Maryland...) and he said it would probably be early March before they knew anything.

So I've consigned myself to hearing nothing before then, if it makes you feel any better :)

Someone posted this on the results board and I had been worried about the same thing: "I found out too late that BU typically looks unfavorably on those with a master's degree. Had I known that, I probably wouldn't have applied."

Tough to think I'll get in considering that weirdness, but still no e-mail. It appears I might survive through at least day one of rejections.

Someone posted this on the results board and I had been worried about the same thing: "I found out too late that BU typically looks unfavorably on those with a master's degree. Had I known that, I probably wouldn't have applied."

Tough to think I'll get in considering that weirdness, but still no e-mail. It appears I might survive through at least day one of rejections.

Yeah, that's pretty true. I almost applied to BU, but then a friend warned me of this. They usually like to take people straight out of undergrad. Sometimes they'll admit one MA, but I think that's rare. Very strange. Good luck BU people!

I also didn't know this. Having an MA AND pegging myself as an Americanist did me no favors here, I'm afraid. Still haven't got my rejection email, but my last name is late in the alphabet.

I also didn't know this. Having an MA AND pegging myself as an Americanist did me no favors here, I'm afraid. Still haven't got my rejection email, but my last name is late in the alphabet.

Just got my rejection email, as both an MA and an Americanist.

Why don't they just advertise that they're anti-MA? I've seen a few places while researching that advertise that, and I didn't spend the hundred-plus dollars to apply/order transcripts/GRE. Oh well, can't be bitter, looks like I'll be down the road.

Good luck those still waiting!

REJECTED! And I don't have an MA. Kind of sad about this one... my SOP was horrible for this app though. Whatever.

It's weird how nonchalant most of us are about not getting this one. Granted, we both have acceptances in hand. But to be honest, this was never one of my top choices. I'm trying to remember why I applied in the first place. Should've sent an app to UNC Chapel Hill or Columbia instead.

Realistically, I shouldn't be upset. They do have three medievalists, but two of them look like corpses and haven't done any recent scholarship to speak of (too harsh?). Why did I even apply? Oh yeah, because I'm geographically bound (my SO just started his dream job up here), and I live on the same freakin' T line as BU. I WISH I could have applied to NY schools (and Rutgers!) instead of schools that are close by and just an ok "fit." So yeah, I'm not REALLY upset, just have to adjust to the idea of a complicated move/commute/compromise. There could be worse things. I'm still SO thrilled with my one acceptance! There, I vented. Over it!

Perhaps this has been discussed elsewhere, and I believe I've read rumours of it on these boards before, but why would any program look unfavourably on an MA and prefer someone straight from undergrad? It makes no sense to me; sure an MA isn't necessary, and in most cases people who get in probably don't have them, but why would it be a deterrent?

Just got my rejection email, as both an MA and an Americanist.

Why don't they just advertise that they're anti-MA? I've seen a few places while researching that advertise that, and I didn't spend the hundred-plus dollars to apply/order transcripts/GRE. Oh well, can't be bitter, looks like I'll be down the road.

Good luck those still waiting!

Indeed. I won't apply again. Just got my rejection and I'm out for the year, folks. Retooling my strategy for Fall 2013.

Perhaps this has been discussed elsewhere, and I believe I've read rumours of it on these boards before, but why would any program look unfavourably on an MA and prefer someone straight from undergrad? It makes no sense to me; sure an MA isn't necessary, and in most cases people who get in probably don't have them, but why would it be a deterrent?

My only suspicion is that BU really wants to mold and personalize their candidates. That's how I've had this kind of thing explained to me before. I hear that Univ. of Michigan also works this way. To be honest, I think it's pretty dumb. Pick the best candidate period.

Indeed. I won't apply again. Just got my rejection and I'm out for the year, folks. Retooling my strategy for Fall 2013.

UGH Grunty! No! No! :( This sucks. Well, take a little time to mourn. If/when you need a peer reader for your SoP or writing sample, you know all your friends on GC will be more than happy to help. 2013 will be your year. I'm sure of it! :)

BTW, go seafoam go!

Edited by TripWillis

For what it's worth, I'll be sending you good vibes for the next 12 (or 13) months. I have a few close friends who adopted the strategy of "just gonna keep applying until they get sick of me and let me in" - and it worked (well, I'm not quite sure if it worked, but they ended up getting in. One of them ended up going to Harvard.) This whole thing is a crap shoot - don't let it get you down.

I think I had seen this before, from a past rejection on the results board:

Expected. Email said they had over 300 apps and I knew they were accepting 6 and usually 1 who already has an M.A. I had an M.A. They said official letters would follow in the mail but they wanted people to know quickly.

And from 2010:

• only 1 spot for incoming MAs, ouch

Lamesauce.

Realistically, I shouldn't be upset. They do have three medievalists, but two of them look like corpses and haven't done any recent scholarship to speak of (too harsh?).

Another reason I didn't apply. I wavered for awhile, mainly because I'd like to live in Boston. Overall, however, I made a good life decision.

I think I had seen this before, from a past rejection on the results board:

Expected. Email said they had over 300 apps and I knew they were accepting 6 and usually 1 who already has an M.A. I had an M.A. They said official letters would follow in the mail but they wanted people to know quickly.

And from 2010:

• only 1 spot for incoming MAs, ouch

Lamesauce.

Congrats on Fordham! Who needs shitty BU, anyway? (No offense eventual acceptees)

Another reason I didn't apply. I wavered for awhile, mainly because I'd like to live in Boston. Overall, however, I made a good life decision.

I take it you're an aspiring medievalist as well - if so, GO UCONN! That would be THE best fit for me, although I probably wouldn't be thrilled about living in Storrs.