Post-Acceptance Stress & Misc. Banter

I just got a second rejection e-mail from BU, and they're sending a letter in the mail. What... why... what is the rationale behind that? To demoralize you by rubbing it in your face and to fill you with false hope by sending you emails with non-descript subject lines? God, if I were 0-fer and clinging for hope, an unopened email like that would tell me: "WE MADE A MISTAKE! WE MEANT TO ACCEPT YOU!" :P

Jerks.

Argh, yes, me too. This was the rejection I cared least about, but going through it three times is sort of magnifying the emotional impact.

Y'all how long have your conversations with POIs been? I just struggled to remember any of my prepared questions, spat out gratuitous professions of my admiration, and somehow made eleven contentless minutes disappear.

What questions have you been asking about the program?

I haven't had any conversations with POIs! It seems strange to me that schools want you to wait until the recruitment weekend to ask your questions--I have so many of them! I sort of want to email the professor I mentioned in my SoP, but she's in the American Studies dept, not English, so I'm pretty sure it would be random and confusing...

On another note, how many of you all have MAs? I keep seeing people referencing their masters degrees. Now I'm wondering if I would have been more successful with phd apps if I were applying with a MA first. Not that I'm complaining--just curious.

Y'all how long have your conversations with POIs been? I just struggled to remember any of my prepared questions, spat out gratuitous professions of my admiration, and somehow made eleven contentless minutes disappear.

What questions have you been asking about the program?

I'm curious about this too...I had one 10-ish conversation with a POI in which I just ended up babbling. I'm visiting the same school soon -- they've scheduled 5 or 6 back to back 25 min meetings with faculty. I'm terrified.

They're just people like us, right? RIGHT?!

I'm curious about this too...I had one 10-ish conversation with a POI in which I just ended up babbling. I'm visiting the same school soon -- they've scheduled 5 or 6 back to back 25 min meetings with faculty. I'm terrified.

RIGHT! Just with more... training.

i am feeling some major post-acceptance stress, or depression. i'm kind of worried about myself. it's an extreme case of impostor syndrome that i can't seem to shake - i just feel like i'm unworthy of the schools i got into, and with every school i get rejected from, that feeling intensifies. i dunno, i can't help but to think that i misrepresented myself in some way, and now i'm just feeling very depressed.

am i alone?

Edited by vordhosbntwin

Ack, I did that pre-application when I was trying to decide where to apply. Strangely enough, I had that same back-to-back times a zillion (or so it felt) schedule at the school I will be attending. What was particularly tough is that, though I had some research-specific questions, a lot of my general questions about the program were answered by the first person I met with. I managed to fill up the time by slightly rephrasing some of my questions in the hope of getting a different answer, and by also asking them if there was anything I should know about the program that maybe wasn't widely known. Mostly, though, I've found that academics love to talk about their interests, so if you inquire about that, you should be good to go.

i am feeling some major post-acceptance stress, or depression. i'm kind of worried about myself. it's an extreme case of impostor syndrome that i can't seem to shake - i just feel like i'm unworthy of the schools i got into, and with every school i get rejected from, that feeling intensifies. i dunno, i can't help but to think that i misrepresented myself in some way, and now i'm just feeling very depressed.

am i alone?

Nope. I've also been, ahem, losing my fucking marbles in a similar way :P

To answer multiple threads of conversation at once:

I don't have an MA, just the BS/BA. But I don't feel that it particularly hindered my applications; just made for a slightly different one. If it's what you want, there's no reason not to shoot directly for the Ph. D. What's the worst that happens? You don't get in, and go to one of the MA programs you applied to as a backup.

I talked to my POI after I got accepted at the school I want to go to; we talked on the phone for about 45 minutes - he was awesome! Very kind, very generous with his time, willing to listen to me babble like a giddy schoolgirl for a while. He answered all my questions, offered some advice, we talked about John Milton (sooo cool).

As to the post acceptance depression - don't worry about it, guys! You got in, thats all that matters. You'll conquer with hard work, not just talent - really, talent only gets you so far anyway. It's the application of talent that makes the difference. I'm sure you will all do fine. And if we want to talk impostor syndrome, my BS is in Biology, my BA in history. And I'm doing English. I'm literally an impostor and I told that to the programs, and at least one didn't mind. If they LIKE you, thats all that counts.

Ack, I did that pre-application when I was trying to decide where to apply. Strangely enough, I had that same back-to-back times a zillion (or so it felt) schedule at the school I will be attending. What was particularly tough is that, though I had some research-specific questions, a lot of my general questions about the program were answered by the first person I met with. I managed to fill up the time by slightly rephrasing some of my questions in the hope of getting a different answer, and by also asking them if there was anything I should know about the program that maybe wasn't widely known. Mostly, though, I've found that academics love to talk about their interests, so if you inquire about that, you should be good to go.

i see that you are a fulbright applicant and will be attending yale... i am in the same boat, having decided to attend yale and waiting to hear back about a fulbright research grant to germany. are you going to defer yale for a year?

95% tuition waver, you don't pay much, but if only I could get a bigger stipend...then I'd be living cushy...

I mean, I presume that I received the same offer that you did, so I was a bit confused. It is probably their standard package - do you really think that you could negotiate for the other 5%? Or for a bigger stipend?

For my school, and some others, if you passed a language requirement in your MA program you're exempt. I didn't, so I'll have to take something to satisfy the grad school. We have grad level reading/writing classes that are specifically designed for people looking to pass their requirements, although I may take something more rigorous. As I understand it, at many schools the language requirements are easily met, usually with something like a timed translation test where you can use a dictionary. I'm sure you can find out about particular departments on their websites.

I'm really not too worried about the language thing, but I know German, and grew up with a mother and uncle who yelled (or spoke) in French. So, it mainly a matter of refreshing vocab for both and grammar rules for German.

I'm actually looking forward to talking with true experts about ideas, so I'm lacking the impostor syndrome. But it may be because I took a couple years off in the middle of undergrad, had a real job, became an office manager, and basically grew some amazing confidence (or the amazing ability to delude myself).

I'm also coming straight from a BA, but I'm not too worried. It'll be hard, but I spent most of my undergraduate career working a full-time night job, participating in one or two plays a semester, going to school, occasionally interning, and maintaining a high GPA for my scholarship. If I get any sleep at all, it will be manageable. And I will love what I'm doing. Life is going to be awesome.

i see that you are a fulbright applicant and will be attending yale... i am in the same boat, having decided to attend yale and waiting to hear back about a fulbright research grant to germany. are you going to defer yale for a year?

Hi vordhosbntwin - I am thinking that, if I do get the Fulbright, I will defer Yale for the year. I've already talked to my department and they cleared it (pending an actual acceptance and permission from GSAS, of course). Somehow, though, the Fulbright just doesn't seem worth it anymore...I think it says so in my profile, but I'm an ETA applicant. I mainly applied because (apart from the desperate desire to return to Russia as soon as possible) I wanted to have a year to improve my language skills for grad school. I was under the impression that my application was too weak to garner any acceptances the first round, and was at peace with having to apply in a future cycle. Obviously, that isn't how it turned out. What is your proposed research, if you don't mind my asking?

I mean, I presume that I received the same offer that you did, so I was a bit confused. It is probably their standard package - do you really think that you could negotiate for the other 5%? Or for a bigger stipend?

Hi Marlowe! Firstly, I LOVE your username. Secondly, this this slightly off topic, but if you had time would you mind PMing some of UTA's funding details to me? I've been waitlisted there, and I feel presumptuous emailing the department about it. Like I'm some sort of dog begging at the back door, which is kind of true, but they don't need to know that yet!

Edited by Fiona Thunderpaws

Hi Marlowe! Firstly, I LOVE your username. Secondly, this this slightly off topic, but if you had time would you mind PMing some of UTA's funding details to me? I've been waitlisted there, and I feel presumptuous emailing the department about it. Like I'm some sort of dog begging at the back door, which is kind of true, but they don't need to know that yet!

Done! Good luck!

Hi vordhosbntwin - I am thinking that, if I do get the Fulbright, I will defer Yale for the year. I've already talked to my department and they cleared it (pending an actual acceptance and permission from GSAS, of course). Somehow, though, the Fulbright just doesn't seem worth it anymore...I think it says so in my profile, but I'm an ETA applicant. I mainly applied because (apart from the desperate desire to return to Russia as soon as possible) I wanted to have a year to improve my language skills for grad school. I was under the impression that my application was too weak to garner any acceptances the first round, and was at peace with having to apply in a future cycle. Obviously, that isn't how it turned out. What is your proposed research, if you don't mind my asking?

wow yeah, when i found out i was accepted to yale, my desire to do a fulbright drastically decreased... research at the adorno archive in frankfurt, and my host institution would be goethe universität, under christoph menke. i basically had some ideas about some things that may be in adorno's philosophical notebooks, so i was going to mess around with that for a year and try to expand on menke's aesthetic work on derrida and adorno.

also, are you coming out of undergrad? and what will you be doing at yale?

Edited by vordhosbntwin

wow yeah, when i found out i was accepted to yale, my desire to do a fulbright drastically decreased... research at the adorno archive in frankfurt, and my host institution would be goethe universität, under christoph menke. i basically had some ideas about some things that may be in adorno's philosophical notebooks, so i was going to mess around with that for a year and try to expand on menke's aesthetic work on derrida and adorno.

also, are you coming out of undergrad? and what will you be doing at yale?

Yep, coming straight out of undergrad. I'll be studying Russian literature and culture at Yale - I currently work with Soviet and Post-Soviet science fiction and fantasy, but I'm hoping to expand into Soviet Jewish literature. I'll also be doing more with Yugoslav literature than I am now (which is basically nothing). How about you?

I don't know much about Frankfurt apart from its airport, but it sounds like if you do get the grant, you have a pretty cool project awaiting you for the next year!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the same offer to all of the admits.

The idea would be a bigger stipend (probably through other fellowships that they have). Austin just had the lowest Stipend from all of the schools I applied to (granted it has the lowest cost of living, I think...maybe Buffalo could compete), and it's such a far cry from my top choice, Penn, which was almost $27,000 a year with no teaching load.

But if I don't get in anywhere else I have ZERO ground to attempt to negotiate on. I mean, it's not like trying could hurt me, right?