Post-Acceptance Stress & Misc. Banter

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the same offer to all of the admits.

The idea would be a bigger stipend (probably through other fellowships that they have). Austin just had the lowest Stipend from all of the schools I applied to (granted it has the lowest cost of living, I think...maybe Buffalo could compete), and it's such a far cry from my top choice, Penn, which was almost $27,000 a year with no teaching load.

But if I don't get in anywhere else I have ZERO ground to attempt to negotiate on. I mean, it's not like trying could hurt me, right?

I don't think it could hurt you, but what do I know?

If the stipend is directly tied to teaching (a standardized pay grade, I think), do they have the power to extend additional monies?

I also might have read somewhere that these extra resources go to pay for the semester-long dissertation fellowships and funded summers.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the same offer to all of the admits.

The idea would be a bigger stipend (probably through other fellowships that they have). Austin just had the lowest Stipend from all of the schools I applied to (granted it has the lowest cost of living, I think...maybe Buffalo could compete), and it's such a far cry from my top choice, Penn, which was almost $27,000 a year with no teaching load.

But if I don't get in anywhere else I have ZERO ground to attempt to negotiate on. I mean, it's not like trying could hurt me, right?

Oh, believe me, Buffalo is way cheaper to live in than Austin... But with the cravat that you need a car to do pretty much anything, and gas in NY is pushing four bucks a gallon these days.

I don't think it could hurt you, but what do I know?

If the stipend is directly tied to teaching (a standardized pay grade, I think), do they have the power to extend additional monies?

I also might have read somewhere that these extra resources go to pay for the semester-long dissertation fellowships and funded summers.

I spoke to a grad program coordinator about this--apparently there's a recruitment fund specifically for these situations. They may be able to give small fellowships (sometimes just for the first year) on top of the standard stipend. That's just one school, but I would guess there are others with similar funds.

Hi Timshel, I've been there and know exactly what it is to feel as if your POI has forgotten about you or is simply just not interested in your work. Nothing could be farther from the truth, I've learned. Just keep in mind that professors lead extremely busy lives, meeting publishing deadlines, advising students, attending conferences, etc. Anyway, one of my POIs (a very high-profile theorist) took about 3 weeks to contact me after the program sent me that initial heads-up, but the wait was totally worth it. I still get butterflies in my stomach thinking about it. Anyway, the point is, you'll get the call, and it'll be wonderful!

Edited by takethiswaltz

Anyone else having doubts about this business even after getting in? I worry about being dirt poor for six years while my friends take fancy vacations and buy apartments. I turn 26 in two days. I feel like I might be too old. Anyone?

You're not too old. At many programs, at 26 you would be one of the younger students in the doctoral program. I think the median age for a doctoral student in English is in the 30s. And, you know, I'm sure you're not planning on dying anytime soon.... I know of a prof at a prominent program, a very successful one, who didn't start her PhD until she was 45. There are many reasons not to do this, but feeling like you're too old at 26 is not among them.

The money is a big deal. There's a lot of ways that money troubles are mitigated for funded grad students; so many things are subsidized, for me, by the university. Those things really improve the quality of life. And if you don't need much, you can live quite comfortably. But itis hard. I get paid tomorrow, after weeks of worrying and scraping. I'll get paid tomorrow, pay the rent, pay the bills, buy a couple books I absolutely need, and be wiped out again. It's really tough. Worth it, for me, a thousand times over. But hard.

And, you know, we've got to be realistic about the numbers. Despite people constantly predicting that the job market will turn around, the English job market has been in crisis mode since at least the early 90s. The likelihood is that some majority of the people who post here are not going to get tenure track jobs, ever. (I could certainly be among them.) That's just the raw numbers. Think things through very carefully.

Anyone else having doubts about this business even after getting in? I worry about being dirt poor for six years while my friends take fancy vacations and buy apartments. I turn 26 in two days. I feel like I might be too old. Anyone?

Yes, there are days when I feel the same way. I constantly hear about the abysmal job market and how I will never get a TT job let along any job. Then there's the prospect of living on a humble stipend. But it's what I love. I've worked a corporate job for a little over two years, that pays really well, and I get pretty sweet bonuses and free lunch (which is always a winner), but I'm miserable. I live a comfortable life, and I thought I would be happy, but nope. However, I KNOW I'll be happy when I back in school and doing what I love. Also, the sad part is I haven't even been out of my MA for a year.

And, you know, we've got to be realistic about the numbers. Despite people constantly predicting that the job market will turn around, the English job market has been in crisis mode since at least the early 90s. The likelihood is that some majority of the people who post here are not going to get tenure track jobs, ever. (I could certainly be among them.) That's just the raw numbers. Think things through very carefully.

This. I was torn about applying to programs for two years before I actually committed to it. I have other interests I could've pursued, but in the end I knew if I never applied and done something else with myself I would always wonder "what if..."

This. I was torn about applying to programs for two years before I actually committed to it. I have other interests I could've pursued, but in the end I knew if I never applied and done something else with myself I would always wonder "what if..."

That's pretty much me. I know I can be good at this, too. I suppose in part it's daunting simply because I've never, to this point in my life, committed to doing anything for six or seven years. High school: four years. College: four. Job: three years. Grad school: relative eternity.

I feel this so hard. Half the people I know went into I-Banking in New York City, and they've been pulling six figures for a couple of years now.

I've never, to this point in my life, committed to doing anything for six or seven years. High school: four years. College: four. Job: three years. Grad school: relative eternity.

Also, I realize I'm sending mixed messages here. This is spoken like a twelve-year-old with no attention span, as opposed to someone who's worried about getting old. Both: too true.

I'll be 28 in three months. With any luck, I'll be 34-35 by the time I get a TT job (hopefully). The biggest thing I'm concerned about is when to squeeze an adoption in there. The timing on that seems horrendous. I do want to help raise one child so the next generation of children isn't a total army of bigoted Rick Santorum Jrs. That'll be tough.

The biggest thing I'm concerned about is when to squeeze an adoption in there. The timing on that seems horrendous. I do want to help raise one child so the next generation of children isn't a total army of bigoted Rick Santorum Jrs. That'll be tough.

Most people (non-academic careers), when I talk about getting a PhD, initially say, "How nice!" Then they ask how long it takes, and they look at me a bit strangely - total attitude change. This whole life-timeline norm is not conducive to these kinds of plans. I've had some semi-serious stuff (tenure-track relationship?) end because I'm not willing to "start a family," if I ever want one, until I've reached my goals. Factor in that I might need another application cycle (or more), and I'm looking at my 30s, too. The sad part is when others turn that into a guilt trip - as if being educated and having the career you REALLY want is selfish. Really, I think I'd be a better parent in that case.

Not to mention that some guys call it quits when I say I'm not willing to physically bear their children. If that's not an experience to push me in the gender studies direction, I don't know what is.

I could rant about preconceptions about family and age/gender all day. Apologies. But these "plans" do set us apart from the norm a bit.

Kids, marriage. I would like to have at least one of each someday. But I have far too much shame to ask someone to marry me while I'm making $21,000 and spending every day in the library. So assuming that's put off for another eight years . . .

Can't remember where I read this, but someone made the point that lower-to-middle class people used to get married BEFORE they had anything, that that was part of the point -- building something together. That said, I understand what you mean. I'd like to get married to my current partner, but I have no idea what our timetable is like on something like that. During grad school is either the perfect time or the worst time. No idea. We're also both LGBT and are a little unsentimental and non-traditional when it comes to the concept of marriage (oh brother -- that's what happens when you stick a literary scholar and a social worker together; no one is allowed to think anything is romantic or fun anymore). I want it to happen, but for all the right reasons and in the right conditions.

I'll be 28 in three months. With any luck, I'll be 34-35 by the time I get a TT job (hopefully). The biggest thing I'm concerned about is when to squeeze an adoption in there. The timing on that seems horrendous. I do want to help raise one child so the next generation of children isn't a total army of bigoted Rick Santorum Jrs. That'll be tough.

I can only speak in a limited anecdotal sense, but in both my MA program and my PhD program, students have become pregnant and had babies. In each case, the department was super supportive, and they were both able to continue on schedule with the help of a sympathetic administration. I think the chances are good you would find your own program similarly accommodating.

I am lucky enough to have married young, but my husband and I do want children. I have no interest in actually bearing children, though, so it does take some pressure off of worrying about my age when we decide to start a family, but adopting also takes a long time, so there still seems to be a stressful time crunch.

I'm so pleased to see so many people, regardless of orientation, considering adoption on here! There are too many unwanted children in the world! I've heard agencies are less likely to allow couples to adopt after age 35, which I suppose I understand a little, as my Dad was quite old when I was born and dealing with his declining health at such a young age has been an incredible burden on me, both emotionally and in terms of resources. Ideally, I guess you wouldn't want early 20-year-olds to have to take care of their parents. Then again, isn't early 30s like that perfect time to adopt/conceive? It's like, you're no longer a stupid 20-something, but you're still young enough to be stable for your child.

Can't remember where I read this, but someone made the point that lower-to-middle class people used to get married BEFORE they had anything, that that was part of the point -- building something together.

I don't disagree with the sentiment. But maybe this is how I know I don't belong to that class, however little money I'm making: marriage among the people I know (which necessarily includes the people I might marry) doesn't seem to work that way. I guess it's a question of culture and geography as much as money. (Not that those categories are separate.)

I was mostly kidding -- especially about wanting "at least one" marriage. And you're right: my anxiety is wildly heteronormative and gender-specific. I want to be introduced to my partner's family as someone who can support her (even though she's incredibly smart and independent and capable of supporting herself far better than I could), and I feel like if my occupation is "student" for most of my twenties and early thirties I'll have a hard time making the case that I'm the kind of dude who can do that.

Whoa this got personal! Sorry, all. Overshare, I'm sure.

I've been a little intimidated from the opposite side of the spectrum. I guess coming into the process I just assumed lots of people would be applying straight from undergrad, but I now am realizing that's definitely not the case. Imposter syndrome will really sink in when I realize I'm one of the youngest in my program, I'm sure. I'm at the point in my life when I still, well, to put it nicely, indulge in undergrad culture. I'm ready to "grow up" in the sense that I'm going to be throwing myself into graduate studies, but in terms of things like marriage and family...not at all on my radar at this point.

Whoa this got personal! Sorry, all. Overshare, I'm sure.

On the contrary, I think it's kind of refreshing. We have the virtue of comfort through anonymity, and though most of the time we're all "ohmigodithinkmySOPsucks" or "ohmigodsomeonepostedanacceptanceimusthavebeenrejected" (too much, I know), there are social issues to either face (if we haven't) or discuss with others who might have similar conflicts.

Also, being someone who's kind of terrified of sharing personal info with, well, anyone, I'm probably more fascinated than most by other people's lives.

I've been a little intimidated from the opposite side of the spectrum. I guess coming into the process I just assumed lots of people would be applying straight from undergrad, but I now am realizing that's definitely not the case. Imposter syndrome will really sink in when I realize I'm one of the youngest in my program, I'm sure. I'm at the point in my life when I still, well, to put it nicely, indulge in undergrad culture. I'm ready to "grow up" in the sense that I'm going to be throwing myself into graduate studies, but in terms of things like marriage and family...not at all on my radar at this point.

I am happy to have moved from 0% to this thread, but I feel the same way. My first reaction upon opening my letter was "oh no, they've mixed me up with someone more qualified." But yeah, I feel a bit young and unprepared at this point. I've also never moved away from my home town, so that is worrisome as well.

I feel like a massive imposter. Cornell being the last of the schools to which I applied, it now looks like I went 1/12. Perhaps in some ways it's better this way though; I'm awful with choices :unsure:

Holy smokes! 1/12 with an acceptance at Columbia is a pretty awesome story! :)

Cliche alert! Fit and focus strikes again. B)