Really informal but paid interview... need advice

kar9291

So I have an interview weekend coming up really soon but it seems really informal. Not at all like what I've been reading about a recruitment weekend. My POI is even picking me up from the airport and taking me to dinner. He said that the weekend will be full of chatting, etc, but didn't provide too many details. Luckily my POI and a professor I've worked with extensively know each other very well, so I think that may be working in my favor, but I'm just really unsure about how to approach this whole thing since it is so informal... but at the same time the school is paying for everything. I've talked with some of his grad students and after hearing all their positive reviews and doing some investigating myself, this is definitely my top choice. Any general and/or specific interview advice would be SO helpful!

Before you go, find out if you can arrange meetings with other professors whose work interests you (people you might take classes with or that might be on your committee). See if you can sit in on a graduate class, just to get a feel for it. Then, try to make sure you can have lunch or dinner with just the grad students so they can be honest with you. Not just your POI's grad students but other grad students in the department too. You want to get to know as many of the people that will be your future colleagues as you can, you know? Oh, and see if someone will take you around the city, ideally a grad student. Maybe someone that can also give you ideas about where grad students live, where they go for fun, etc.

Thanks for the great advice. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed because of the lack of schedule. I'll be there for two days, one a week day and one a weekend, and I don't want to plan anything because I don't want to be rude if he already is, but then again, I have no idea! I'm not sure what to expect at all. :wacko:

I've been on an informal interview before. Try not to be too stiff but keep in mind that it is an INTERVIEW. The professor wants to know if they can work with you.

DO:

Talk about your interests.

Come up with good answers to their potential questions ahead of time.

Ask your POI relevant questions.

DON'T:

Dwell on your personal problems.

Be a conversation hog.

Bring up hot button issues (religion, politics etc.)

Drink more than one alcoholic beverage (and only if they are).

Remember to act professionally while still being friendly and relaxed. Treat it like an office Christmas party (if you've ever been to one).