University of Washington Sociology

AJS

I e-mailed the DGS saying I've been accepted to two other top 20 schools and can't seriously consider the UW unless they can offer some kind of funding. I haven't heard anything back yet - I'll probably call to follow up later this week if she doesn't respond. Did you contact anyone grad2B?

If it helps, there's a possibility I might decline UW's offer, but I won't know for sure for at least a few weeks. Oh, and to waitinginohio, have you heard anything more from Wisconsin on funding opportunities? Do we really have no other option but to wait until after April 15 to line things up? (Sorry to change the topic of the thread. You can PM me if you'd like, or post a reply to the Wisc. thread instead).

The DGS just got back to me.

I am delighted to hear that you remain interested in the University of Washington, and understand your concerns about funding opportunities. Unfortunately, as a result of recent budget cuts, we were able to offer fewer TAships than has been the case in the past. It is possible that more TAships will become available in the next few months; if so, it is possible that you would receive a funding offer. TAships do include tuition waivers and medical insurance. Without a TAship, however, it is not possible for us to cover tuition or health insurance.

In the future, TAships will be allocated on a competitive basis. In the past we have been able to fund virtually all qualified graduate students seeking funding. In the context of this budget cycle, however, we anticipate that this may no longer be the case. However, our graduate students are very well trained, particularly in research methods, and many have therefore been able to secure positions as research assistants in our Department and elsewhere on campus. We remain confident that this will continue.

You may wish to consult with the Student Office of Financial Assistance to see if there are other options available to you. You will find their website here:

http://www.washington.edu/students/osfa/

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

This is not particularly reassuring. :(

Not reassuring at all. COmpeting with your cohort for funding does not make for a happy and cohesive group in my opinion. It is hard to believe that schools that don't give out at least a 4 year guarantee of funding even have students. So much extra stress would make me miserable!

The DGS just got back to me.

This is not particularly reassuring. :(

I got the same email. Doesn't sound good at all. Do they really expect people to come there with no funding and pay tuition and fees and insurance. It would be really hard to choose fighting for funding every year over guaranteed funding. Oh well. Guess UW's off the list. Seattle's too cloudy for me anyway. ;)

Congrats to those who did secure funding at UW, because it sounds like there were very few this year. Quite an achievement. :)