UC Berkeley - Fall 2012 MSW Admissions

mswhopeful2012

I wanted to add my condolences as well; very sorry to hear about the rejections. It all happens for a reason, and I'm sure that the additional job and volunteer opportunities will give y'all whose hearts are set on Berkeley some great experience that will greatly enhance and inform your applications and your MSW journey. While the next chapter might not look as you envisioned, it will be nonetheless impactful :)

@mswhopeful2012: I am by no means claiming any authority, but I know how useful it can be to have a second set of eyes in this process. I was an admitted MAP applicant, and I would be happy to chat or take a look at your application as you prepare for next year. Feel free to PM me :)

I haven't heard either! I wish they would tell me something...anything! I'm also getting discouraged but it seems like we aren't alone at least!

I just checked the application status page - mine still says submitted. I am trying not to get discouraged, but it's getting harder with each day that goes by.....

I just checked the application status page - mine still says submitted. I am trying not to get discouraged, but it's getting harder with each day that goes by.....

In the same boat here. While I would love to get into Berkeley, I will be perfectly happy at SFSU or CSU-East Bay. I know people in all three programs and one major difference is diversity. Both SFSU and CSU-EB have more racially and socio-economic diverse faculty and student body than Cal. I can't say much about the difference in academics and field placements (I can imagine the academics and great access to current research at Cal being stronger), but cultural competency is arguable one of the most important skills a social worker can develop. My two cents!

I wasn't accepted. Words really can't describe how much I needed this in life.

So sorry to hear this :( :(. Could really tell how much you wanted it.

Edited to ask: How much experience did you have? I know MAP, more so than any of the other concentrations, REALLY take into consideration experience. From the website: "Personal Qualifications. Typically, knowledge and commitment to this field are demonstrated by significant (the equivalent of one full year) paid or volunteer employment related to social welfare or human services. This is particularly true for those applying to the Management and Planning concentration. A comprehensive resume will be required of applicants."

Edited by mapletree

I am in the same boat you are! I got my rejection letter yesterday, and even though I have back-ups I really don't want to settle for less than Berkeley. I am turning this around into a positive, and still moving up to the Bay Area to gain some work experience and reapply for next year! I knew I was taking a gamble applying because I graduate from a BA in May, but I am determined to try my best at any given point in time. I hear they like when people show determination and reapply, and that's exactly what they will get from me! One year is worth it to go to my dream school :D

Good luck to you all, and congrats to those who got in! I will definitely be seeing some of you next year on the boards!

Sorry to hear about your rejection. If it makes you feel any better, when I went to their info session in 2010, I noticed that all the MSW students who were there to answer questions had a few years of experience. I asked one of the admissions people if they let people in straight from undergrad, and she said it's very rare. Good luck next year :) The Bay Area is a great place to live.

AH, I was waitlisted this morning for CMH. I'm not too upset about it considering I'm pleased to have gotten into the other schools I applied to. I'm just upset that now I have to anticipate and start planning where I'm going to live for two completely different cities.

I'm just glad, for the most part, that the wait is KIND OF over. haha. i can rest a little easier now.

good luck to everyone else waiting :D

AH, I was waitlisted this morning for CMH. I'm not too upset about it considering I'm pleased to have gotten into the other schools I applied to. I'm just upset that now I have to anticipate and start planning where I'm going to live for two completely different cities.

I'm just glad, for the most part, that the wait is KIND OF over. haha. i can rest a little easier now.

Missdanielle, waitlisted is better than rejected! Congrats on your other acceptances. I'm sure you're going to make a great choice! I'm still waiting to hear back from UCLA and Berkeley! I feel like the last person on earth to hear back! lol

Yes, I got an official offer from the Graduate Division on Monday, and my status on the website was updated as well.

Good luck everyone!

Ditto.

Congrats missdanielle! It's so unpredictable how Berkeley releases decisions. We had acceptances, waitlisters, rejections, more waitlisters.. It doesn't make much sense! But that's also good news for people who haven't heard back yet! Good luck to everyone still waiting. :)

I emailed Berkeley today regarding my application to CMH, and heard this back:

"We are trying to get all the admissions decisions out within the next few days. Please feel free to contact us again if you haven’t heard!"

Pins and needles!

Thanks for sharing! ... I was going to email them today as well. I guess I should just make myself comfortable on these pins and needles because time is moving as slow as molasses waiting for these admission decisions!

Hmmm...I was sent an acceptance email on 3/9/12, but I still haven't received the official email confirmation from the Graduate Division. Now I'm now starting to worry that I was sent the acceptance email on accident...

Have you checked your online status yet?

Also, has anyone completed their statement of intent? I took a gander at it, but couldn't tell if they ask for a deposit--how much is it?

I emailed Berkeley today regarding my application to CMH, and heard this back:

"We are trying to get all the admissions decisions out within the next few days. Please feel free to contact us again if you haven’t heard!"

Pins and needles!

Also on pins and needles! Thanks for emailing them and posting this. I also applied for CMH and every day I am more nervous and more discouraged. If I don't hear soon I don't know what I'm going to do!

I'm feeling exactly the same way, angela marie. Has anybody figured out any sort of order they're going in? My dad was trying to make me feel better and told me that the reason I havent heard was because they haven't reached the "W's" yet. Maybe? :)

I just got an email from the admissions office - I didn't get in. At least the waiting on pins and needles is over. :(

Not sure where to go from here. My GRE, grades and letters of rec were solid, my essays good (I think?), but I have at this point a year of volunteer experience, which is what I suspect got me. At the time of my application I had 10 months total experience. Reading through these forums, I am unclear how Berkeley qualifies a year of volunteer or work experience. I had 7 months of interning 15 hours a week, and as of this moment 5 months of volunteering 2 hours a week. How do they define a year? Is that a year of 40 hours a week? Can anyone clarify?

SIGH.............. :(

I'm feeling exactly the same way, angela marie. Has anybody figured out any sort of order they're going in? My dad was trying to make me feel better and told me that the reason I havent heard was because they haven't reached the "W's" yet. Maybe? :)

Haha, I like that hypothesis. My last name is near the end of the alphabet too! Maybe...

I just got an email from the admissions office - I didn't get in. At least the waiting on pins and needles is over. :(

Not sure where to go from here. My GRE, grades and letters of rec were solid, my essays good (I think?), but I have at this point a year of volunteer experience, which is what I suspect got me. At the time of my application I had 10 months total experience. Reading through these forums, I am unclear how Berkeley qualifies a year of volunteer or work experience. I had 7 months of interning 15 hours a week, and as of this moment 5 months of volunteering 2 hours a week. How do they define a year? Is that a year of 40 hours a week? Can anyone clarify?

SIGH.............. :(

Sorry to hear that lccsf. I may be wrong, but I would agree it would probably be your resume that might have gotten you. I think that despite a year of experience being the requirement (regardless of hourage defining that year) there are probably applicants with over a year and paid-work experience in the field.

Were you straight out of undergrad? I hear that they take very very few people straight out of undergrad unless their experience was exceptional and they went to Berkeley. I work with two MSWs who went to berkeley and they were somewhat "older students" and had paid experience at social work-realated jobs before their application to the MSW, as well as a wealth of life experience.

All that said, I'm only a year out of my undergrad and still waiting to hear. My heart goes out to you!

Haha, I like that hypothesis. My last name is near the end of the alphabet too! Maybe...

Sorry to hear that lccsf. I may be wrong, but I would agree it would probably be your resume that might have gotten you. I think that despite a year of experience being the requirement (regardless of hourage defining that year) there are probably applicants with over a year and paid-work experience in the field.

Were you straight out of undergrad? I hear that they take very very few people straight out of undergrad unless their experience was exceptional and they went to Berkeley. I work with two MSWs who went to berkeley and they were somewhat "older students" and had paid experience at social work-realated jobs before their application to the MSW, as well as a wealth of life experience.

All that said, I'm only a year out of my undergrad and still waiting to hear. My heart goes out to you!

Thanks for your kind words angelamarie, I appreciate it.

I am not right of of undergrad - I graduated in 2006, and have been working in the legal world since then. I have a lot of life expereince that I feel like helped my app, but seeing the spreadsheet that mapletree made makes me see just how much experience the people who got in had (and also how many people with psych background they admit). I think at this point I am going to have to focus my attention on getting an paid position, and see where that takes me.

I am going to take this day to wallow, esp since it's so gloomy outside here now. Tomorrow.....onward and upward!

Edited by lccsf