Being POI's First Choice: Important or Not?

Scalia

This hasn't happened to me but I read about this scenario coming up in a graduate admissions blog:

What happens if you're not your POI's first choice? Does it bother you if you end up being admitted? Factor in your decision to attend or not if admitted?

I've been thinking about it and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I can say though that I want to go to a program where myself and the POI are equally interested in working with each other.

I would just be happy to be admitted. The only reason that this first choice person didn't decide to accept was probably because they got a better offer elsewhere, meaning they're probably an amazing applicant with scores and experience that I couldn't compete with, so no, I wouldn't be bitter. If they decide to accept me, despite not being top choice, they know they're going to be working with me a long time which means they can't hate me...It would give me the chance to grow on them, and I'm sure it will turn out fine in the end. I can't imagine a POI being bitter towards you because you're not their top choice, they wouldn't admit you if that was the case, right?

I can't imagine a POI being bitter towards you because you're not their top choice, they wouldn't admit you if that was the case, right?

If they did make a point to tell me I wasn't their first choice, I don't think I would want to work with them. Otherwise, I don't think it would be a problem.

If they did make a point to tell me I wasn't their first choice, I don't think I would want to work with them. Otherwise, I don't think it would be a problem.

2nd that. Hate to judge so quickly but a professional who tells you you were not their first choice must be a horror to work with :/

I don't think it's especially unusual to hear you're not the top choice. For example, the PI who says, "I can only admit one student and I've decided it is another candidate. But if he/she declines I'll make you an offer." It happens all the time on the job market. It's not like getting married to your second choice of beau, it's a professional situation. I think expecting to be the top choice is a little naive or unrealistic.

ETA: I understand why it feels awkward and makes people uncomfortable, certainly. I just mean that it's not unusual and you shouldn't take it personally, and most certainly shouldn't decline a spot just because you weren't their first pick.

Edited by lewin00