Applying for 2013 FALL PhD in Clinical Psyc

bigworrier

Everyone... I graduated last May from a pretty selective university in the states majored in both Psychology and Economics. I've been really worried about applying to PhD programs because of my low GPA and lack of publication... And most of the people I hang out with don't know much about PhD programs or psychology. So I'm hoping that you guys could give me some advice...

Here are some information about me...

GPA: 3.3 (Psychology GPA was around 3.23...so that doesn't help)

GRE (old one): Q790 V660 W4

Research:

1. Currently working with a professor at Columbia (run pp, data entry, data analysis, lit search)

2. Currently interning at a psychiatric epidemiology lab (mainly interview pp, recruit participants)

3. Worked with a professor for 1.5 year in college (run pp, data entry, transcribing)

4. Was a video coder for a year for a educational psych lab (coded videos of interaction)

Clinical:

1. Worked in a psychosocial rehabilitation for a year (10 hr/wk), had chance to interact with people recovering from mental illness

2. Volunteer at a Hotline for a year

Here are my concerns...

My ultimate goal is to practice. Preferably somewhere alone the line of family therapy. I would apply to PsycD programs, but I'm worried about funding. Also, I don't really know many schools, and also have no idea where to search for PsycD programs. So do you know any good PsycD programs? Or just, where can I find information about different PsycD programs.

And I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY worried about my GPA... I was never good at taking tests... Do you think my GPA is too low for PHD programs? and Do you think it's a good idea to just apply for Masters or PsycD programs because of my GPA?

Last thing is about publication... I don't think I'll be able to get my name on anything before I apply... any advice?

I'd really appreciate your help!

Thank you to everyone in advance just for reading this!

Thanks!!!

Edited by bigworrier

Everyone... I graduated last May from a pretty selective university in the states majored in both Psychology and Economics. I've been really worried about applying to PhD programs because of my low GPA and lack of publication... And most of the people I hang out with don't know much about PhD programs or psychology. So I'm hoping that you guys could give me some advice...

Here are some information about me...

GPA: 3.3 (Psychology GPA was around 3.23...so that doesn't help)

GRE (old one): Q790 V660 W4

Research:

1. Currently working with a professor at Columbia (run pp, data entry, data analysis, lit search)

2. Currently interning at a psychiatric epidemiology lab (mainly interview pp, recruit participants)

3. Worked with a professor for 1.5 year in college (run pp, data entry, transcribing)

4. Was a video coder for a year for a educational psych lab (coded videos of interaction)

Clinical:

1. Worked in a psychosocial rehabilitation for a year (10 hr/wk), had chance to interact with people recovering from mental illness

2. Volunteer at a Hotline for a year

Here are my concerns...

My ultimate goal is to practice. Preferably somewhere alone the line of family therapy. I would apply to PsycD programs, but I'm worried about funding. Also, I don't really know many schools, and also have no idea where to search for PsycD programs. So do you know any good PsycD programs? Or just, where can I find information about different PsycD programs.

And I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY worried about my GPA... I was never good at taking tests... Do you think my GPA is too low for PHD programs? and Do you think it's a good idea to just apply for Masters or PsycD programs because of my GPA?

Hey bigworrier,

I'm gonna be very frank with you and share some of my thoughts and feelings about applying to PhD programs in Clinical Psych. I'm currently an applicant this year, and I'm waiting to hear back from four clinical/counseling programs for decisions, fyi.

First of all, you're not in a bad position, but you're not in a great one either. Your GREs are fantastic for most programs, so don't worry about that. Your GPA is a bigger issue: having a 3.5 or higher is a fairly standard threshold for most competitive programs. Your research experience, while again, not bad, is something that could use some help. Unfortunately, programs look for people who have gotten their names on papers, either published or under review. Similarly, they like to see people who have presented posters or papers at major conferences (APA, APS, SPSP, APA divisionals, et cetera).

I am not trying to discourage you from applying by saying this, but if you do apply, there's a very real chance you will not get an offer first time around. I would highly, highly, highly suggest getting more research experience, or getting into a master's program and working to improve that GPA.

Secondly, there is a broader issue: You want to practice. PhD programs are fundamentally research degrees; even the most practice oriented PhD programs expect that you will be spending 5 to 7 years at their program conducting research and writing papers. If they think you're coming through their program just to be a practitioner, they'll be extremely hesitant about offering you admission. The reason that PhD programs fully fund their students is because it is in the interest of the department and the institution--they want people churning out publications and increasing the research productivity of the university. That's why the money is there! Sure, some people get through Clinical Psych PhDs and never go back to research, but thats... very, very rare. If you get into one of these programs, and you really don't like research, you will not be happy for many, many years. Money matters, but your educational experience does too.

That said, yeah, of course there are good PsyD programs! I don't really know much about them, though. Depending on how much time and money you want to put into your education, you might also want to look into MSW programs. At the end of the day, a license to practice is a license to practice: Your clients likely won't care, or know, the difference between a PsyD and an MSW anyhow.

Anyways, good luck! Send me a PM if you like, I'd be interested to hear who you're working with at Columbia. Are you at the arts and sciences psych department or teacher's college?

I'm waiting to hear back from a few schools and already have a number of flat out rejections. My undergraduate GPA isn't as strong as it should be but I retook the new GREs and did better than first time and have a high Masters GPA in Clinical Psych with thesis research experience and clinical practice experience.

I hate to be a downer but I expect all rejections for me this time around at this point. Sure I have a great MA GPA but many schools seems to gloss over that and look back years to undergrad. However you have a decently strong application so you might fare better.

You have some research and clinical experience. Good start for sure. Also make sure you look for great fits with professors/researchers at schools. Some say fit is one of THE MOST important parts of finding an offer in your mailbox. You could have perfect grades, perfect GREs, years of research experience with top psychologists, and years of clinical work and get rejected because you don't fit with anyone at a school.

So good luck to you and don't get too down if you get rejected outright first time around, I may be trying again in a few years if this time doesn't work.

A few words of advice from what I'm learning from this experience:

Do NOT talk in your application, statement, essay, interviews, or emails to any Clinical PhD programs about wanting to "help people," "work with people," "practice psychology," or any variation of this. They want academics and researchers. Don't be mislead how they show the numbers of people who graduate, get licensed and practice. They do show that because they likely have to but they generally want researchers at heart. If you hate research do not even apply. If you love, like, or can tolerate it then go for it...a chance at funding to be a research lab monkey/TA to get your Phd is a great thing to pass up if offered.

Apply to a wide range of schools and programs in both Clinical and Counseling Psychology. Do not limit yourself to one small geographic area when applying...especially in the Northeast. I made the mistake of applying to a moderately wide geographic range (most of Northeast and edges of Mid-west, South) but regret already not applying in the South and in the Mid-West. A colleague of mine already has an offer and had multiple interviews at schools in the mid-west and she had less research experience than me, same grades, and same GREs. It was a big error on my part to not put a few application out West and down South.

You said that you want to do family therapy, so why don't you just get an MFT [marriage and family therapy] degree? If your goal is to practice, I think that degree is all you need [and I guess you could go back and get a Ph.D later]

I would highly suggest going for your PsyD and not PhD. PhD is heavily geared towards you conducting research and teaching. They're giving you the funding to essentially WORK throughout your degree. And frankly, for practice, usually all you need is a masters and then to pass the certification exam for each state (at least if you're in the United States). Going through the PsyD process wouldn't really help you out. Not that it would hinder, but it is kind of unnecessary. Really, you could tailor your degree towards a family and marriage counseling masters and then take the certification exam (you need to take that exam even if you have either a PhD or PsyD anyways).

On that note, your credentials are fairly strong. Yes, your GPA is a bit low but your GRE is great. You have both research and clinical experience, and all of these look great for admissions. However, Clinical programs are tougher to get into. You have more competition so if you do decide to apply to PhD's outright, make sure you match research interests (and yes, you need to have them) with professors. Also, throw in a few masters programs for backup.

Either way, good luck!

Everyone! @sweetnighter @quickinstinct @mcvcm92 and @psychkita

Thank you so much for your reply! I always knew that my GPA would be my biggest problem, however I was hoping that with enough research experience my GPA wouldn't weigh as much... I am actually working very hard to try to come up with a poster, and at least have it admitted before I submit my applications...

Anyhow, I think it is a good idea to think about PsycD and Masters programs in counseling. I just don't know much about them... (And if I'm not mistaken, there aren't that many counseling programs? Or I'm just having trouble to find them...) If you know there's any good resource in finding programs please let me know!

Thanks everyone!!!