Any news on Penn?

Hmm, I guess I got a couple of what they refer to as "soft rejects." So I got 1 of 2 types of form letters, one as impersonal as the other, just slightly tailored to be a tad more comforting. I'm still not sure it makes sense to do anything other than be professional and factual.

I just now noticed someone posted this comment from a rejection on the results board: "I trust that you have been, or will soon be, admitted elsewhere to a university of your choice, and I should like to take this opportunity to wish you luck and success in your graduate studies."

Did they put that in everyone's letters, or did they personalize it? I'm just curious, because I have gotten a few letters that say something to the effect of, "Your qualifications were impressive," etc. etc. but I always just assume it's generic and they say that to everyone. To be honest, it drives me crazy. Why would you want to extend compliments in rejection form letters that might not actually be true? After all, doesn't a rejection often mean that they were NOT impressed by your qualifications? Personally, I like it when they're just cut and dry: "We offer 10 spots and we got 400 apps -- don't take it personally, but you weren't the first choice. Best of luck." The faux niceties kill me.

That seemed really tactless to me, as many applicants (probably including myself) will not be getting any acceptances this year. It feels like they're twisting the knife a little.