NYU Interview?

nikim89

So i looked on the NYU website and they say that they don't require interviews for admission, but a friend of mine was recently contacted for one. Has anyone else been contacted for an interview? Does this mean she has a better chance than I do? Or have people been admitted even without interviews? This is really worrying me, since I haven't heard anything since I submitted my app back in december.

So i looked on the NYU website and they say that they don't require interviews for admission, but a friend of mine was recently contacted for one. Has anyone else been contacted for an interview? Does this mean she has a better chance than I do? Or have people been admitted even without interviews? This is really worrying me, since I haven't heard anything since I submitted my app back in december.

Hi, I am applying to NYU documentary this year. I just contacted the admission office, asking about the admission process and decision. They say the department will notify the decisions not the AO in general. I haven't heard anything from the journalism department yet.

recently received personal email from head of magazine program at nyu, referred to as one of "our most promising applicants" and she offered to answer any questions about the program i might have. anyone else receive one of these/know what it means

I got the same email. Don't want to read too much into it, but I was excited to get it!

coastalvintagechic,

I also applied to the Magazine Concentration, which is why I'm so worried. I'm also an international student so I don't know what's going on.

They may take more time to reach the international students--geographically those things are taken into consideration in that sometimes they let domestic students know first (I assume from what I've heard before). Again, NYU said they would let applicants know in March sometime, so I wouldn't worry about it too much and give it a bit more time before contacting them to check on your status ^_^

Edited by coastalvintagechic

What stream did you apply for at NYU? Saw the first acceptance went up from the Magazine Journalism program today. Congrats to that person!

I applied for the magazine concentration. Got a call from the program director yesterday with an email later that evening. :)

I'm wait-listed. If anyone doesn't want to go please reject!! :( A bit upset but it's better than an outright rejection so I guess its not terrible.

• 4 weeks later...

I have received some aid from NYU (50 % tuition waiver). I also got into Columbia but have received no aid, and the NYU course seems a better fit for me anyway, so I'm most definitely going to NYU. :)

As for my background: I'm currently completing an integrated master's in Economics in India and have interned at several of the top publications in the country.

Have you heard back from NYU yet?

Hey guys,

I wanted to get your advice on something. I was pretty much 100% set on NYU and ready to take out a lot of loans to finance it (I didn't receive any aid--from NYU or from any of the other schools). However Syracuse let me know the other day that if I decide to attend they will offer me full tuition reimbursement. Here's my dilemma:

NYU has been my dream FOREVER. Also the resources and connections of being in the city are unmatched. But do I do that at the cost of a nearly $80,000 loan?

Syracuse, an amazing journalism school (I haven't visited it), isn't in the city and I don't know if it could offer me the same resources that I was prepared for in NYC. But I would graduate debt free (other than living expenses) and still develop some forms of connections.

I'm just having a super hard time deciding and honestly don't know what to do. Do I give up my dream school to graduate debt free? Or do I attend my dream school and end up incurring a good few decades of debt--but ultimately solid and extraordinary connections? I just worry that I'll want to do an internship at places like Vogue, Vanity Fair or NBC, and won't be able to if I'm in Syracuse. At the same time going to Syracuse would allow me the ease to get my Masters and then move into the city without worrying of having to quickly find a job (although I will anyhow) to start paying about $700-800/m for my loan--but on the same token I'd lose a year of possibly making those city connections that I'm working towards. I'm just so torn because the fiscally responsible mentality in me is saying "Duh! Take Syracuse--NYC will always be there". The bright-eyed bushy tailed college graduate though is saying "Dream school! Dream school! Don't worry about the cost, you'll figure it out in the end." And I honestly don't doubt my abilities--I'm a hard worker and know that I'll push to get what I want (career wise). But I don't control the market or employment and can't guarantee (like all of us) that there'll be something waiting for me...in Syracuse or NYU.

Ahh what do I do?! I'd love to hear your perspectives and what you'd do--honestly.