Musicology topics

Rowdy2898

Hi everyone, I'm new to this website. I have a couple of questions I was hoping one of the musicology MA/PhD students could help me with. I've graduated in 2010 from a pretty strong comprehensive music/piano performance program and I've been working since, but seeing how many more people are applying for graduate schools than I have anticipated, I decided to give it a shot myself. I'm looking for an MA in musicology, and I'm particularly interested in the study of Jewish sacred music and its historical development. I'm residing in Ontario, Canada, and the only university that I know specializes in this area is York. I'm willing to move to the States if a. I can locate a program that at least one professor who specializes in Jewish music and b. the university offers a decent stipend and scholarships. I'm willing to "settle" for early Christian or Byzantine liturgy studies, but the former is definitely my primary choice. Can anybody throw out a name that will help my research?

And here's a side question: As someone working in a modest-salaried, yet very enjoyable job, should I go out of my way to pursue graduate education? My ultimate aim is to teach at a music college or private institution.

Edited by Rowdy2898

Hi Spparkle, I'm not American so don't worry about being obvious. I only know of one person who went Brandeis for graduate studies, but I've heard many good things about it. Thanks for the information.

• 2 weeks later...

First, it sounds like you may want to look into ethnomusicology as well! Second, keep in mind that only about 33% of PhDs in ethnomusicology and musicology actually obtain tenure-track positions. You may want to stay with your current job.

First, it sounds like you may want to look into ethnomusicology as well! Second, keep in mind that only about 33% of PhDs in ethnomusicology and musicology actually obtain tenure-track positions. You may want to stay with your current job.

Any stats for music theory? Or is that covered under musicology?

• 2 weeks later...

Rowdy, I've been a career student, but this was really helpful for me in determining the value of graduate study in general: http://www.quora.com/Graduate-School/Is-going-for-a-Ph-D-worth-it-if-Im-extremely-passionate-about-a-field-but-dont-really-want-to-spend-my-20s-poor-toiling-away-in-a-lab-and-living-in-a-city-that-I-dont-particularly-want-to-live-in/answer/Mark-Eichenlaub

Keep in mind that your area of interest (the history of Jewish sacred music) is a specialty within a specialty within a specialty. So when choosing programs, don't settle! You want to work with people who are as passionate about your field as you are.

Rowdy, I've been a career student, but this was really helpful for me in determining the value of graduate study in general: http://www.quora.com...Mark-Eichenlaub

Keep in mind that your area of interest (the history of Jewish sacred music) is a specialty within a specialty within a specialty. So when choosing programs, don't settle! You want to work with people who are as passionate about your field as you are.

That guy's "test" was pretty interesting. I passed on some of them and failed on others. For instance, I don't have at least one burning question about my field that's always on my mind, mostly because I'm overwhelmed by so many questions that I force them to the back of my mind so I can get on with my life! (As I'm not in school yet and haven't been for almost 2 years)

I have been so excited about certain topics that I scream aloud when reading interesting articles. Sometimes articles are so interesting I actually can't read the whole thing in one shot (which makes me feel a bit insane). Sometimes I am so giddy about my topic I get a frisson of happiness.

I'm wondering what other people's litmus tests are/were about going to grad school! Especially on the music board. For me, it was waiting to see how my senior thesis would go - a completely independent research and writing project on a scale I had never attempted before (in the 150-page range). I'm not the best or most productive writer, but it really whet my appetite.

• 4 weeks later...