MFA Admission Replies - short and simple

csk

Please list the focus of the degree applied for( i.e. painting, textiles...) and the area in which you live( sate, or country if not US). Then list the schools applied to and what response, if any, you have received. This will help all of us impossibly impatient people gage if we should be expecting a response or if no response yet is our response. good luck and remember to update your responses as you find out

Texas- MFA painting/drawing

RISD, rejected 3/16/09

SAIC, rejected 2/17/09

Cranbrook, rejected 3/13/09

MICA, none

Columbia, rejected 3/13/09

Tyler, rejected 3/13/09

Pratt, rejected 3/10/09

Parsons, wait listed 3/16/09

MassArt, rejected 3/2/09

NYU Steinhardt, rejected 3/16/09

SMFA, accepted 3/8/09

Cornell, rejected 3/23/09

BU, rejected 3/23/09

PAFA, accepted 2/26/09

U of Chi, rejected 2/26/09

fyi -

you can find a lot of this information in the "results" search. just type in the name of the school or program, and you can see if people have already heard from a school this year, and if not, when they heard last year.

to that end, as of today 3/17:

Bard (painting) - rejected

Calarts (painting) - accepted 3/18

Columbia (painting) - rejected 3/14

Hunter (painting) - interview march 14

UCLA (painting) - rejected 3/17

Yale (painting) - interview set up march 26

I applied to both Yale and CalArts for design and have interviews at both. Does anyone know how small the pools are? I read on Yale's website that there were 167 applicants for design this year (up from last year) and last year there were 39 interviews for 16 slots. I'm curious about CalArts?

well i know its totally different between departments, but for painting they told me they are doing about 15 interviews a day for a week - so when i do the math that looks like 75 interviews for what will probably be 20 spots. Now normally schools go ahead and admit double the number of people whom they expect to accept, but really, how many people turn down yale? so i guess i'm just going to have to dress super cute... haha.

Hey, i'm applying to six programs in painting:

Mica - Nothing yet

Risd - Nothing yet

Yale - Interview

Columbia - Nothing yet

Sfai - e-mail to set up interview

WUSTL - Nothing yet

I read the same thind for yale, I think its about seventy interviews for 21 spots. Ha, so basically 1 in 3.

Painting/studio arts

SAIC- cryptic letter months after the fact saying they've received my materials and to expect a response 6 to 8 weeks from 1/10

UIC- Daily check of website proves still fruitless

Northwestern-same

UChicago-nothing, curious about UChicago, the humanities website lists very adamantly that the school does not notify of admissions except via snail mail, and says it sends these letters the first week of March, yet there seem to be dozens of posters contradicting that information, I haven't been fretting about them because of the clarity, but now I'm wondering if its all a ruse? Supposedly someone got an admit in the MFa program there, according to results search...Any one got info?

i don't know what is up with U of Chi, i've not heard anything. they had the earliest deadline(dec.15) out of the schools i applied to, but still no word. not good news to hear others have been accepted. some schools will not send rejection letters, you'll just never hear anything from them.

I got an e-mail from the school today letting me know that they had looked at my work and would like to set up an interview...

Are you looking into their program?

good luck with the interview

I had a portfolio review with the dept chair last fall and he liked my stuff. I went to visit the campus and loved it. Met some alumni at a function, too. So it was all pretty positive.

Yes, for photography

SFAI - nothing as of 2/13/09

current motto: no news is good news

Hello, all.

I applied for admission to film production programs at:

FSU - they emailed to set up an interview, scheduled for 3/1

UT Austin - rejected via email 2/13

Stanford - nothing

Columbia College Chicago- nothing

Temple University - nothing

American University - nothing

University of Miami - nothing

Chapman University - nothing

Will also apply to University of New Orleans, but have not yet.

I thought I'd keep everyone updated.

Mica - Received a call that "felt" like an Interview

Risd - Nothing yet

Yale - Interview 3/26

Columbia - Nothing yet

Sfai - Interview 2/17 - "Recommended for Acceptance"

WUSTL - Accepted - Phone call 2/18

One of my classmates got a phone acceptance from UChicago today, so apprently they aren't done notifying yet. They haven't given me any love though. Ah, well. :(

Hi Emma. Thanks for the information! I will not give up hope. I just found this web-page the other day and it is a great resource. Did your friend receive any funding information from U of C? Still hoping for a call from someone...

Hey Vagoo! No problem! She got called twice by them while in class. she didn't recognize the number so she let it go to voice mail. They said "Congratulations on your excellent application," you have been accepted. I heard of a couple acceptances by them last week, so it seems like they're doing it slow. Nice thing about U of C is that they say on their website that they will send out official letters first week of March so one way or another the waiting is almost done! :D Good luck!

My update is really a non-update. The only thing I've heard from anybody is the interview I already had scheduled for SMFA Boston. Most schools web sites say they will mail something one way or the other, so I'm still hopeful. And impatient.

csk said:
i don't know what is up with U of Chi, i've not heard anything. they had the earliest deadline(dec.15) out of the schools i applied to, but still no word. not good news to hear others have been accepted. some schools will not send rejection letters, you'll just never hear anything from them.

sorry guys, but the University of Chicago has already accepted people. I received an email on February 9th, and the chair has been in touch with people. Has anybody heard from Berkeley?

My field is new genres/multimedia/video, etc.

The insane list, and yes i am broke from it all:

University of Chicago - Accepted

UIUC - Accepted with full funding and stipends, etc.

UC Davis - Accepted via online site

UIC - nothing yet, but coordinator called my recommender in January

UC Irvine - Interview

SMFA, Boston - Interview

CCA - Phone Interview

Northwestern - Interview

Hunter - Interview

Syracuse - nothing yet

Berkeley - nothing...

University of Delaware - Nothing...2/15 was deadline

USC - Nothing

WUSTL- Nothing

UCSD - Nothing

RISD - Nothing

brosenth1984 said:

sorry guys, but the University of Chicago has already accepted people. I received an email on February 9th, and the chair has been in touch with people. Has anybody heard from Berkeley?

My field is new genres/multimedia/video, etc.

The insane list, and yes i am broke from it all:

University of Chicago - Accepted

UIUC - Accepted with full funding and stipends, etc.

UC Davis - Accepted via online site

UIC - nothing yet, but coordinator called my recommender in January

UC Irvine - Interview

SMFA, Boston - Interview

CCA - Phone Interview

Northwestern - Interview

Hunter - Interview

Syracuse - nothing yet

Berkeley - nothing...

University of Delaware - Nothing...2/15 was deadline

USC - Nothing

WUSTL - Nothing

UCSD - Nothing

RISD - Nothing

The date on the quoted post is about a week old. the point of my second post was that U of C apparently had a second round of acceptances because i know someone who got one Thursday. I was in class with her when she received it. And perhaps if you turn yours down, they'll call someone else. :D Looks like you've got a full plate and I've never been too proud to take leftovers. I'm not bitter, but man, you've got more acceptances than i have schools.......

EDIT* I took this part out because I realized it didn't read the way i was meaning it...I am not trying to be a witch with a B, was just wondering...I applied to all Chicago schools cause I live here, and was just trying to figure out if maybe I wasted my time applying to anywhere...are these more media based programs. Because I know for painting I wouldn't have picked some of the places I picked if they weren't close to me. But your choices seemed like they came from everywhere geographically and RISD was the name that meant the most to me, reputationally speaking, but I'm a painter so I don't think that means anything. Sorry just wondering what you picked your choices for, not trying to be mean, so sorry if I came off that way.

Plus when I read your post I had just gotten my first rejection from my soon to be alma mater. SAD,SAD, SAD. Good luck to everyone else! 3 more, possibly, to go.

The date on the quoted post is about a week old. the point of my second post was that U of C apparently had a second round of acceptances because i know someone who got one Thursday. I was in class with her when she received it. And perhaps if you turn yours down, they'll call someone else. :D Looks like you've got a full plate and I've never been too proud to take leftovers. I'm not bitter, but man, you've got more acceptances than i have schools.......

Hey can you explain your selections a little, they seem kind of all over the board? i don't know a lot about new media, maybe these are all highly rated with that?

sorry Emma, didn't see the other post (kind of confusing layout on this, maybe they should get some of those computer scientists who are already getting those responses from Princeton to do an overhaul). I am a little surprised about the multiple rounds, not because i think it is a bad thing, but mainly because I have never heard of a program doing that (i mean it would be early to reject a place, no)? I wonder if they are accepting in rounds of mediums (like Columbia, versus non-media specific), but because it is a small program they are not doing them simultaneously?

The reason I applied to so many schools is that I was flat out rejected from four schools last year, and I really was not expecting to get into anything but Delaware (the program coordinator was a former advisor of mine at Carnegie Mellon). So I figured I would poke around at a lot of places and see who bited. All the programs have varying degree of strength in new media, but my main focus was programs with strong academic components, because I am very interested in theory. I also work in an admissions office for a decorative arts program, and I saw the trend of large applicant pools happening earlier, and i could no stand the idea of working in a 9-5 job any longer and failing to get my own work done!

best of luck with your applications.

Hy thanks! I was editing as you were responding, apparently!

What you say makes sense. i'm glad you got some acceptances, to some pretty good schools too! I'm pretty close to shutting the door on this time around, already starting on new work and new apps. Thanks for the luck wishing! Hopefully second time out will be my charm! :)

Hy thanks! I was editing as you were responding, apparently!

What you say makes sense. i'm glad you got some acceptances, to some pretty good schools too! I'm pretty close to shutting the door on this time around, already starting on new work and new apps. Thanks for the luck wishing! Hopefully second time out will be my charm! :)

i have a friend in the same position, the first time around is always the hardest, and you will catch things you didn't see (trust me i did, and the typos i had were outrageous). Have you thought about applying to a bunch of residencies. During the year is the best time to get them since faculty are teaching and can't take them away from young artists, and I know that the schools really like them for apps. Ox-Bow, in Saugatcuk has a connection to SAIC, and SAIC is really into their "connections"...