MFA Admission Replies - short and simple

csk

Kathy - I remember seeing some of your (I assume) self-portraits down at La Familia and they were really striking. I live just upstairs in the TK lofts but am heading out to NY soon. Congratulations on your admissions!

It's been slow going so far in terms of hearing back from schools. Here are the current stats:

UT Austin - rejected mid-Feb and apparently AGAIN today (both via letter)

Tyler Painting - rejected via letter on 3/12/09

Tyler Sculpture - no word

VCU Painting - no word

VCU Sculpture - no word

RISD Sculpture - no word

Cranbrook Sculpture - no word

MICA Painting - no word

MICA Sculpture - no word

MICA Mt. Royal - no word

UMD College Park - no word

I'm not taking the silence well! :D

hello all.

The first round is finally over. Got my rejection letter in the mail from columbia today. Beyond a doubt, if you haven't heard yet your in my boat.

Here is my tally in the prelims

Yale: interview march 30th

ICP-Bard: Interview March 15th

Parsons: Interviewed two weeks ago

Hunter: rejected

columbia: rejected

We all picked a hell of a time to apply to school. best of luck

hello all.

The first round is finally over. Got my rejection letter in the mail from columbia today. Beyond a doubt, if you haven't heard yet your in my boat.

Here is my tally in the prelims

Yale: interview march 30th

ICP-Bard: Interview March 15th

Parsons: Interviewed two weeks ago

Hunter: rejected

columbia: rejected

We all picked a hell of a time to apply to school. best of luck

Good luck at ICP. That program is underrated and Nayland Blake is amazing.

For what it's worth:

SFAI, New Genres: I received an email today that said they sent my admissions decision packet yesterday. I am crossing my fingers that the term packet might imply acceptance, vs the standard form letter that they send to rejects. (Though I was never contacted to interview, so who knows..)

PSU, Social Practices; Waiting List update: I received a letter in the mail yesterday (3/12) that was written on March 3rd, but only sent on the 10th. It basically said the same thing as an email I received on February 22nd, that I was on the waiting list. It mentioned that they typically accept several people from the waiting list, and to contact them if I was still interested. I have been busy this morning writing my response.

CCA, Social Practices: For what it's worth, I did some internet sleuthing and saw that someone from the architecture department at CCA was looking at my personal website as recent as Tuesday, 3/10. It was an adjunct professor that has an independent architecture firm in SF. Perhaps he is on the review board.

And for any of you that haven't heard back, I have managed to convince myself that the schools I haven't heard back from yet are taking extra time because they are deliberating an awesome financial aid package. Stay optimistic!

Just an update got housed in writing from Columbia today...

Painting/Drawing

Parsons--> Accepted by phone 3/10

American --> Accepted by phone 3/3

Hunter --> Rejected, dominated, disgraced by email 2/26

Columbia --> Rejected, Humiliated, Lit Up, Spandangled, Wang-Chunged in writing 3/13

UCLA --> nada

SVA --> nada

NYU --> y nada

thought you would all enjoy this...

so I received an acceptance email with PDF letter from UC Irvine, only to be told 45 minutes later in another letter with a corrected PDF that I was rejected and that the first one was a mistake. Luckily I have no respect for them (had a terrible interview), and i could care less, although by law I am entitled to the acceptance. I am thinking of calling the Dean of the division to get my application money back! I now have some legs to stand on.

also got into CCA yesterday, awaiting funding though...

So I called Cranbrook today and they said that most of the departments are still knee deep in the process of looking at portfolios, and that they wouldn't likely be letting folks know anytime soon. She said it could be anywhere from 2 weeks from now til mid April depending on the department. Sigh. I still have my fingers crossed for them and RISD...

I'm aware of the fact that it would take more time and effort to do this, but I really think that schools should contact people as soon as their application lands in the rejection pile instead of waiting til they've gone through all the applications. Here's hoping that no news yet is a good thing. :roll:

So I called Cranbrook today and they said that most of the departments are still knee deep in the process of looking at portfolios, and that they wouldn't likely be letting folks know anytime soon. She said it could be anywhere from 2 weeks from now til mid April depending on the department. Sigh. I still have my fingers crossed for them and RISD...

I'm aware of the fact that it would take more time and effort to do this, but I really think that schools should contact people as soon as their application lands in the rejection pile instead of waiting til they've gone through all the applications. Here's hoping that no news yet is a good thing. :roll:

Yeah, what is up with RISD? If other schools require acceptances by April 15th, they are not really giving anybody much time to make their decisions! I am still awaiting a response from them in digital and media, but i expect a big fat nay. although i did think my "sentence" to john maeda was good, they need a real new yorker to weed out the bad pizza and bagels in providence!

Another update got smoked by UCLA via email today...

Anyone heard anything out of NYU or SVA?

Painting/Drawing

Parsons--> Accepted by phone 3/10

American --> Accepted by phone 3/3

Hunter --> Rejected, dominated, disgraced by email 2/26

Columbia --> Rejected, Humiliated, Lit Up, Spandangled, Wang-Chunged in writing 3/13

UCLA --> Rejected, bamboozled, torched, posterized, by email 3/14

SVA --> nada

NYU --> y nada

just an update, to keep y'all in the loop. I am NYC, and New Genres/New Media.

Univ. of Chicago - Accepted

U Illinois Chicago - Nothing

U Illinois Urbana-Champaign - Accepted

Northwestern University - Waitlisted, told today by email

UC Davis - Accepted

RISD - Nothing

CCA - Accepted

UC Berkeley - Rejected

UCSD- Rejected

UC Irvine - Rejected (and accepted by accident...)

Hunter - Interviewed (hoping oh so bad!!!)

University of Delaware - Accepted

Washington University in St. Louis (WashU) - Accepted

Syracuse - Accepted unofficially

American University - Withrdrawn

USC - Nothing (expect rejection)

thought you would all enjoy this...

so I received an acceptance email with PDF letter from UC Irvine, only to be told 45 minutes later in another letter with a corrected PDF that I was rejected and that the first one was a mistake. Luckily I have no respect for them (had a terrible interview), and i could care less, although by law I am entitled to the acceptance. I am thinking of calling the Dean of the division to get my application money back! I now have some legs to stand on.

also got into CCA yesterday, awaiting funding though...

That's awful! You should definitely call the dean.

I'm from NYC too, so I love your sentence to John Maeda; I wrote some boring sentence about community.

So which school(s) are you considering?

brosenth1984 said:
just an update, to keep y'all in the loop. I am NYC, and New Genres/New Media.

Univ. of Chicago - Accepted

U Illinois Chicago - Nothing

U Illinois Urbana-Champaign - Accepted

Northwestern University - Waitlisted, told today by email

UC Davis - Accepted

RISD - Nothing

CCA - Accepted

UC Berkeley - Rejected

UCSD- Rejected

UC Irvine - Rejected (and accepted by accident...)

Hunter - Interviewed (hoping oh so bad!!!)

University of Delaware - Accepted

Washington University in St. Louis (WashU) - Accepted

Syracuse - Accepted unofficially

American University - Withrdrawn

USC - Nothing (expect rejection)

Update:

All painting and drawing, except for Hunter, which is drawing/works on paper/print, and I'm in NY.

SAIC: Interviewed 3/8, thought it went well, but haven't heard anything yet.

Hunter: Interviewed yesterday (3/14), thought it went disastrously(!), waiting.

Columbia: officially rejected via post.

Tyler: rejected via website.

UCLA: presumed rejection.

UPenn: presumed rejection.

RISD: presumed rejection.

VCU: nothing.

MICA, Hoffberger: nothing, though wondering if those phone calls above mean this should move into presumed rejection status?

MICA, Mount Royal: nothing.

Definitely feeling a lot less positive about the whole game than I was at this point a month ago...

Update:

All painting and drawing, except for Hunter, which is drawing/works on paper/print, and I'm in NY.

SAIC: Interviewed 3/8, thought it went well, but haven't heard anything yet.

Hunter: Interviewed yesterday (3/14), thought it went disastrously(!), waiting.

Columbia: officially rejected via post.

Tyler: rejected via website.

UCLA: presumed rejection.

UPenn: presumed rejection.

RISD: presumed rejection.

VCU: nothing.

MICA, Hoffberger: nothing, though wondering if those phone calls above mean this should move into presumed rejection status?

MICA, Mount Royal: nothing.

Definitely feeling a lot less positive about the whole game than I was at this point a month ago...

i haven't heard anything from hoffberger either, and was really curious about some other post that mentioned timothy app calling him for an interview......chris the grad advisor told me i should hear something on or around march 20th.

ssap said:
So which school(s) are you considering?

yikes, i am completely confused now! I expected to maybe get into 3 or 4, but this is throwing me for a loop. I just got back to NY from visiting University of Chicago, and I was unimpressed with the students, but very into the faculty. I think it is a no though, no money=no me, and i won't pay that much for something that isn't a ticket to stardom or amazing peers (i mean 120K, is out of the question). I am writing off Syracuse, WashU, and University of Delaware. But i think if i get into Hunter, it would be hard to turn it down, its so well respected, and its in my hometown. Although, i never know how i will feel about these other places until i actually visit them and get that "feeling." I feel kind of guilty this year, but then again, flat out rejections last year...i paid my dues...