MFA Admission Replies - short and simple

csk

How have you guys been hearing back from CCA? I'm frakin anxious.. they're my number one pick right now..

I received a phone call on Monday from the person who I had an interview with.

VCU (Fiber) No Response

SAIC (Fiber) Interviewed this Weekend

MassArt (3D) Interview 3.23.2009

SMFA Accepted 3.8.2009

MICA (Mount Royal) No Response [i did a self-scheduled interview with Frances on 2.6.2009]

cmlar & WvOvMut...,

did the SAIC Fibers dept contact you through snail mail to schedule the interview or another method?

This is heart-breaking news, that dept was my #1 choice and I'd put in so much time meeting various people there and conversing with them for the last three years. :cry: I'd even shown my work to Joan Linvingston in the fall and she gave me so much positive feedback and said that she'd personally like to work with me... what gives? A heavy sigh.

Did they indicate that it was also an overwhelmingly competitive year for their dept?

thx.

VCU (Fiber) No Response

SAIC (Fiber) Interviewed this Weekend

MassArt (3D) Interview 3.23.2009

SMFA Accepted 3.8.2009

MICA (Mount Royal) No Response [i did a self-scheduled interview with Frances on 2.6.2009]

hey guys-

applying to new media / video programs, here's my insane list:

University of Chicago - accepted

University of Michigan - had an interview in feb, no final word yet

California Institute of the Arts - rejected

University of Minnesota--Twin Cities - accepted

Ohio State University - accepted w/ full funding

University of California--Los Angeles - no word

SUNY--Stony Brook - accepted

Massachusetts College of Art - accepted

Columbia University - no word

Arizona State University - accepted

University of Illinois--Chicago - rejected

University of Massachusetts--Amherst - no word

New York University - no word

University of Pennsylvania - accepted

Maryland Institute College of Art - no word

of course, the ones i REALLY want to hear from have sent no word yet..arghh

How have you guys been hearing back from CCA? I'm frakin anxious.. they're my number one pick right now..

I got an email from the professor who interviewed me. I haven't received any official notice yet, maybe yours is coming?

cmlar & WvOvMut...,

Did the SAIC Fibers dept contact you through snail mail to schedule the interview or another method?

Did they indicate that it was also an overwhelmingly competitive year for their dept?

They sent snail mail to schedule an interview in early Feb. There were about 30ish people interviewing and another ten or so they talked to on the phone. Ten slots are available in the department (2 post-bac spots) and what they said was the highest number applicants ever. The people I talked to at the interview were amazing. Several were from post-bac programs at competitive schools like MICA and SMFA. They said they will send out letters at the end of the month but the other grads told me they will call this week if you're in. Sorry to hear you were invested in that program. It is amazing and I would encourage you to contact other members of the department about applying next year. The SAIC Fibers department is full of very generous and warm faculty.

Sounds like everyone is starting to hear more this week- thought I'd add in my schools (applied for Sculpture)...

Yale- rejected

Cal Arts- rejected

Bard- rejected

Mills- accepted (yah!)

VCU- waiting...

UCLA- waiting...

Good luck to all!

Here are my responses so far. I've been living in NYC for the last 5 years and want to go to school somewhere less expensive so I only applied to one school in the city and the rest elsewhere, so I have a lot of schools that not many people on this board seem to have applied to, but if anyone has please let me know if you've heard anything! I'm so anxious!

University of New Mexico: rejected 3/2

University of Minnesota: #1 on wait list 2/20

MCAD: rejected 2/17

Tyler: nothing

RIT: nothing

Portand State: nothing

PNCA: nothing

SVA: nothing

Has any one heard back from UCLA other than painting? specificaly ceramics.

Tyler- accepted 02-01-via phone call- turned down offer

UW Seattle- accepted 03-05- phone call

SAIC- wait list- letter- now in trash

OU-accepted- phone call mid feb. sometime

USF-accepted- phone call feb 20th

OSU- nothing

UCLA- nothing

I cannot confirm this, but a friend of a friend was apparently accepted into UCLA in ceramics about 2 weeks ago. Like I said, I have not talked to him personaly, but I have no reason to think it is not true.

OSU- nothing

UCLA- nothing

hey cd3, you wanna hit up yr columbia contact again? i've heard from various sources that yes, sculpture and painting have made their cuts and calls. no news on new genres or photo though. i've heard through the grapevine that if we haven't heard by now, that's it. regardless, i need you to kill my naive sense of false hope, please.

also - i'm curious. anyone have any thoughts on british schools? is there a real advantage/disadvantage in going? i got into the rca. trying to figure this one out.

hey cd3, you wanna hit up yr columbia contact again? i've heard from various sources that yes, sculpture and painting have made their cuts and calls. no news on new genres or photo though. i've heard through the grapevine that if we haven't heard by now, that's it. regardless, i need you to kill my naive sense of false hope, please.

also - i'm curious. anyone have any thoughts on british schools? is there a real advantage/disadvantage in going? i got into the rca. trying to figure this one out.

hey helenforsdale, I don't have a contact w/Columbia (though I wish I did!). I think that was someone else in the forum. There's nothing wrong with a little prolonged hope though :)

OSU- nothing

UCLA- nothing

I'm waiting to hear back from Tyler (sculpture). I'm just hoping that each department does differently in making decisions... but I also saw someone posted a result on the "admission results" list saying this person got an email from Tyler's sculpture program in Feb. 17th, 2009, regarding interview or some sorts. what's going on?? I don't want to, but am starting to speculate that they did the first round in Feb.

I also applied to UCLA, VCU (sculpture), nothing yet. (i know vcu is just taking time to go though the applications...)

to mmmh

Tyler trys to notify early, and then pressure people to make decisions. Its s strategy to get their top pics. It pissed me off a little bit, and they gave me a bs reason why they needed to know so early. They wanted a commitment from me by feb. 20th. I was able to squeeze a few more weeks out of them. I'm pretty sure each dept. makes their own choices though. I went to visit, the new building is awsome! I liked Philly a lot as well. The funding on the other hand was not full. still generous though. If you get in and have the money go for it. good luck

I did not have to interview

I applied for painting/drawing at SAIC and UT. Fortunately my other three are general MFAs, since I'm a terrible painter whose portfolio consists of animation and print work.

Florida State University - Accepted

University of Michigan - Interview in February, haven't heard anything since.

SAIC - Rejected

University of Texas - Rejected

Parsons - Nothing yet

As of 3/16/09

I applied to the MFA Painting/Drawing Programs

Yale - rejected, via mail early Feb.

UCLA - rejected, via web 3/14

SAIC - rejected via mail 3/30

RISD - rejected via mail 3/30

Indiana U - Accepted/with university fellowship + stipend

Michigan State - Accepted/with assistantship + stipend + recruitment fellowship

UPenn - Accepted on 3/15/09 via phone call w/ some scholarship

Boston U - Accepted on 3/20/09 via email, with some scholarship

SFAI - Accepted on 3/16/09 via mail, no money.

[edit] Thanx for all the responses from people on the forum! too bad for UCLA.

ps thanx for the forum, it's really helpful.

-Kathy

As of 3/12/09

I applied to the MFA Painting/Drawing Programs

Yale - rejected

SAIC - interviewed on 3/7, waiting reply yet again

RISD - interview scheduled on 3/18

SFAI - interviewed on 3/4

Indiana U - Accepted/with scholarship

Michigan State - Accepted/with scholarship

Boston University - no reply yet

UCLA - no reply yet

UPenn - no reply yet

Did UCLA really made their decisions for MFA Painting grads? Does that mean those who didn't get reply didn't get in??

Did ANYONE got an interview from UCLA??

ps thanx for the forum, it's really helpful.

-Kathy

UCLA already accepted their 6 painters. They don't interview. I didn't get in, but someone I know did.