Linguistics 2009!

Phonologist

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How . . . I guess "linguisticky" is a BCS program like that at JHU? I admit I never really considered non-pure-ling programs and I don't know much about them. However, I see all of you that applied at JHU and I look at the faculty and see several top linguists, especially Colin Wilson whom I remember from UCLA, and I wonder if these are programs that I should reconsider. So in what ways does a BCS program differ and, more importantly, what ways are they similar to a Ling department?

How . . . I guess "linguisticky" is a BCS program like that at JHU? I admit I never really considered non-pure-ling programs and I don't know much about them. However, I see all of you that applied at JHU and I look at the faculty and see several top linguists, especially Colin Wilson whom I remember from UCLA, and I wonder if these are programs that I should reconsider. So in what ways does a BCS program differ and, more importantly, what ways are they similar to a Ling department?

They'll definitely be more interdisciplinary. Cognitive-science is all about the mind, with input from psychology, linguistics, computer-science, philosophy, neuroscience, and more. I wouldn't expect cognitive-scientists to be diehard Chomskyans, but there's certainly overlap between cog-sci and linguistics. It helps to be interested in cognition and perception and the like, though, if you're considering any cog-sci program.

My department's newest linguistics-professor has both an MA and a Ph.D. in cognitive-science from JHU, incidentally. He mostly does work on computational linguistics.

Wow, the last time I looked at the gradcafe forum this subforum didn't exist! It's always nice to talk to other linguists, given that we're somewhat of a rare breed.

Does anyone else find visiting departments utterly exhausting? I just got back from an open house and literally collapsed. The busy schedules combined with the stress of having to meet so many people at once is nigh-overwhelming. Well, it's not quite as stressful as the application process itself, though...

Wow, the last time I looked at the gradcafe forum this subforum didn't exist! It's always nice to talk to other linguists, given that we're somewhat of a rare breed.

Does anyone else find visiting departments utterly exhausting? I just got back from an open house and literally collapsed. The busy schedules combined with the stress of having to meet so many people at once is nigh-overwhelming. Well, it's not quite as stressful as the application process itself, though...

w?lk?m tu ow? l???l ko?n? ?v

Visiting can be pretty tiring (I slept for about six hours every night during my last campus-visit), but it's worth it!

I've been sleeping six hours a night (or sometimes lesser) for the past several years now :|

I'm the one who posted the last JHU acceptance, for whoever was asking on the results page. I got a call from my would-be-advisor yesterday.

It feels really good to have a legitimate acceptance (finally), and I'd be thrilled to go, but I'm holding out to see what happens with my various wait lists before I think about a decision.

I'm the one who posted the last JHU acceptance, for whoever was asking on the results page. I got a call from my would-be-advisor yesterday.

It feels really good to have a legitimate acceptance (finally), and I'd be thrilled to go, but I'm holding out to see what happens with my various wait lists before I think about a decision.

Congratulations Phonologist! I'm thrilled for you. And I totally think you should take JHU :wink:

Congratulations Phonologist! I'm thrilled for you. And I totally think you should take JHU :wink:

Haha, thanks Dinali. If I do take myself off the wait list, it'll be with you in mind. I'm really hoping something works out for you!

Haha, thanks Dinali. If I do take myself off the wait list, it'll be with you in mind. I'm really hoping something works out for you!

Heh, no worries. I have reached a point of relaxation about it all. I had a poor round of applications, but I know the reasons and they aren't faults in my qualifications, just my preparation and unfamiliarity with this process. I almost hope I don't get into somewhere off a last-minute waitlist*, because I have a better idea now how to properly market myself as a linguist, and I don't want to be somewhere thinking "Man, if I'd just had another shot, I totally could have gotten into MIT" (or wherever).

*does not apply if this is the UCLA waitlist

Yay! Congrats!

Waitlist question ...

I am waitlisted at Northwestern, which is my top choice. In my contact with the department, I have not gotten a substantial amount of information on what the waitlist is like ... i.e. how big it is, how likely I am to be admitted, and where I am on the waitlist. Does anyone who got accepted to/visited Northwestern (or anyone with knowledge on this...) have any idea of this? Not that it would make any difference in the end; I will either be accepted or not, of course. But I haven't seen any other waitlists on here, so I'm crossing my fingers that that is somehow an indicator that the waitlist is small :wink: Not that I expect everyone to be aware of/active on GC.

Also, I am not entirely sure how much contact I should have with the department ... should I be "courting" them in any way? I don't want to be annoying either. :? I would appreciate any suggestions on all this! Thank you!!

Waitlist question ...

I am waitlisted at Northwestern, which is my top choice. In my contact with the department, I have not gotten a substantial amount of information on what the waitlist is like ... i.e. how big it is, how likely I am to be admitted, and where I am on the waitlist. Does anyone who got accepted to/visited Northwestern (or anyone with knowledge on this...) have any idea of this? Not that it would make any difference in the end; I will either be accepted or not, of course. But I haven't seen any other waitlists on here, so I'm crossing my fingers that that is somehow an indicator that the waitlist is small Not that I expect everyone to be aware of/active on GC.

Also, I am not entirely sure how much contact I should have with the department ... should I be "courting" them in any way? I don't want to be annoying either. :? I would appreciate any suggestions on all this! Thank you!!

Including you, I think I've heard of four people waitlisted at Northwestern, and one admitted.

I'd say it never hurts to continue to express interest. They also might be willing to tell you your position on the waitlist.

Sounds sorta like me: 1 acceptance, no word yet on funding (but I don't expect anything, from the tone of our correspondences); 4 rejections; still waiting on one master's

If I don't get funding, I couldn't justify dragging my significant other halfway across the country for the best program in the world, let alone UIUC. I'm still going to visit, but more and more, I'm planning around the master's...*fingers crossed*