Linguistics 2009!

Phonologist

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what they told me, I'm 99% sure that there is no scheduled visit day for Rutgers - you just go at your convenience.

Do you folks have an idea of when you're planning on visiting the Rutgers dept.? I haven't decided yet, but I was thinking it would be nice to go at a time when I can meet some of you.

Hi,

I've tried to check previous posts carefully, but sorry if I repeat something already said...

I have heard one rejection (by email) and NOTHING from anywhere else - I'm located at an overseas address.

I'm guessing I am rejected - does anybody know, is there any chance that I'm wait-listed if I have heard nothing by this point?

Thanks

One of my friends thought the same but some schools send their decisions ONLY by post and he got an offer from U Chicago today by post. A lot of people will also reject offers before the 15th of April and if you are on a waitlist, you should be offered a place. So keep your hopes up until the 15th of April. Good luck!

I recognize that the following question is rather uncouth, and I apologize for the rudeness of it, but would any of you who were accepted to Rutgers be willing to share any details of the funding they offered you?

Rutgers was one of my top choices (I'm an OT nut) and, from my contact with professors there, I was given the impression that I'm very high on their waitlist, so I'm just looking to see if its worth keeping other schools waiting while as I wait for Rutgers' list to drop far enough to include me.

Any information that anyone can provide would be much appreciated.

I recognize that the following question is rather uncouth, and I apologize for the rudeness of it, but would any of you who were accepted to Rutgers be willing to share any details of the funding they offered you?

Rutgers was one of my top choices (I'm an OT nut) and, from my contact with professors there, I was given the impression that I'm very high on their waitlist, so I'm just looking to see if its worth keeping other schools waiting while as I wait for Rutgers' list to drop far enough to include me.

Any information that anyone can provide would be much appreciated.

If you are on the top one on the wait list, then you have a good chance! Generally, there would have one or two offers will be turned town in most of schools, even stanford, MIT. Actucally, you can check with Rutgers what did it look like in the previous years! Then you will have some ideas whether it is worth keeping waiting.

To lindyc

I am having similar results. I am in Europe, and of the 11 schools I applied to, I have only heard from 3. It is driving me craaaazy, but it might have something to do with the fact that I live here ...

Hope this helps

Did anyone else get an email this morning from Paul Smolensky (from the JHU department) requesting a phone interview?

He actually called me before the visit, as did Legendre. I think they both want to talk to everyone.

It was nice meeting you BTW. How was the "party?"

Mostly unexpected rejections for me lately. I still have options, just not as many as my initial streak of success suggested I might have. However, I loved my one campus-visit so far and I have another coming up shortly, so I'm not feeling too stressed-out about having to make a decision.

Yes - just found out I've been put on the "alternate list" at Stanford. UGH. I've got nothing solid at this point.

Sorry for the lack of better news, but I hope [null complementiser since repeated 'that' always looks weird] that comes to something good!

My "day of reckoning" (i.e. when I expect to hear back from UCSD) is tomorrow...well, actually later today since it is past midnight. Still no word from Washington, but their results from years past seem to indicate I have a week or two left to wait. Fingers crossed!

Sorry for the lack of better news, but I hope [null complementiser since repeated 'that' always looks weird] that comes to something good!

Hah! When I was a kid I used to try and construct sentences that had as many of a repeated word as possible. I think I got one with four perfectly grammatical "hads" in a row. Y'know, back when this stuff was fun.

Hah! When I was a kid I used to try and construct sentences that had as many of a repeated word as possible. I think I got one with four perfectly grammatical "hads" in a row. Y'know, back when this stuff was fun.

* laughs * I know. I also got into linguistics mainly through a keen interest in wordplay (with a detour through etymology when I was in high-school), so I know that feeling!

I hate to seem to be upstaging your childhood self, but also coming to mind is the semi-classic Smith where Jones had had had had had had had had had had had the examiner's approval. (The challenge: punctuate it.)

I hate to seem to be upstaging your childhood self, but also coming to mind is the semi-classic Smith where Jones had had had had had had had had had had had the examiner's approval. (The challenge: punctuate it.)

Infinite recursion stipulates that as a theoretical exercise we could create strings of repeated words as long as you want, but then you run up against the psycholinguistic stumbling block of parsability. The challenge of my four were that they occurred naturally and the repetitiveness wasn't noticeable unless you were listening for it (I can't remember what it was, but it'll come to me. I've been wracking my brain all day).

Edit: Also, it didn't resort to McGuffins like a dude named "Had."

Infinite recursion stipulates that as a theoretical exercise we could create strings of repeated words as long as you want, but then you run up against the psycholinguistic stumbling block of parsability. The challenge of my four were that they occurred naturally and the repetitiveness wasn't noticeable unless you were listening for it (I can't remember what it was, but it'll come to me. I've been wracking my brain all day).

Understood. The 'Smith where Jones' example may not be particularly natural, but it also doesn't rely on recursion (though it does employ both "had" and "had had" as written statements, which is arguably a bit cheap). But if you think of it, do let us know!

This is really bothering me! I was 12 when I came up with it, so it's a stretch remember back that far. At least it's taken my mind off grad schools though.

Just to make sure that this is bothering you enough, I'd like to know what it was too! :P

I, just as she had had, had had cereal for breakfast for years. (Is this grammatically alright? :o) Just trying to refresh your memory..

An email arrived in my inbox in the middle of the night with an (unofficial) acceptance to JHU CogSci - I'm thrilled (and shocked).

It came from my intended advisor, so they must each be sending word to their individual students. (That is, anyone else who is waiting on Hopkins shouldn't worry about not having heard anything yet.)

Good luck, all!

And I'm done.

Got rejected from UMass - for those of you still waiting, I logged onto the website and it just said "denied." Bummer.

At this point all I know is that I have been waitlisted at Northwestern, and rejected at Yale... but for all other programs I applied to (cf my signature) I have heard 100% nothing. I am assuming for some of them rejections; MIT, NYU, UMD ... but the uncertainty really sucks. Should I still be expecting good news from anyone? Should I be expecting to be accepted off the waitlist at Northwestern? This really sucks, and I'v sort of written off a PhD ... for this year, that is. And I don't know if that's realistic or just pessimistic.

Anyway, for those of you who have acceptances, congratulations! I'm sure you'll make fantastic linguists :-) And thanks for listening to my temporary whining ;-)

I have a source from the Philosophy world who gives me the following information: NYU phil has already contacted their admitted by email, and Columbia status should be posted on your online application.

You might just contact the programs you haven't heard anything from, since you're so far away!

Yeah I actually just did that (contacted the programs) :-) Got an email from NYU saying I'm out. Oh well. Although, there is nothing on my Columbia login about a decision.