Waiting it out: Canadian Political Science Programs Fall 2012

icarus99

That was my impression too. However, scanning the "Results Survey" indicates that a lot of applicants to UVic were accepted or rejected only by their mystatus page. Anyway, I will probably call later this week.

Good idea. I attend UVic and I know decisions were made a while ago. . . like mid February. But you could be on a second round of admits. Fingers crossed.

I'm an American looking to go into comparative politics and Canada-US relations - Canadian schools I applied to are Western Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan (for M.A.).

Still waiting on Western and Manitoba, getting SUPER antsy...

"Prestige" isn't the most important thing for me - more looking for a program that fits my interests & budget - but can anyone give me an idea of how each of these programs are viewed within Canada?

This is random, but I'm also applying for Poli Sci MA programs this year and I was wondering if somebody could direct me to any admission statistics (how many people apply/get rejected/get admitted)? I've applied to UWO, McMaster, York and Toronto.

I've looked everywhere (i.e. Google) and can't seem to find admission statistics anywhere.

Western graduate advistor told me that there are about 150 applicants, with around 25 getting accepted. Although I'm sure this can vary year to year.

I'm an American looking to go into comparative politics and Canada-US relations - Canadian schools I applied to are Western Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan (for M.A.).

Still waiting on Western and Manitoba, getting SUPER antsy...

"Prestige" isn't the most important thing for me - more looking for a program that fits my interests & budget - but can anyone give me an idea of how each of these programs are viewed within Canada?

Western and Saskatchewan are viewed positively. I know for sure that Western has a better reputation overall, but then I have heard good things about Saskatchewan. I have no clue about Manitoba so I cannot comment on the strength of the department nor how it is viewed in Canada.

You should have heard from Western by now as I got rejected a week back and some people got acceptances in the second week of March. One thing that I know about Western and Saskatchewan is that they provided decent funding, Saskatchewan more so than Western.

To anyone in a similar situation as me: I called UVic today, and I was told my application was still under review and that the committee will be meeting some time soon to make another round of decisions. Fingers crossed.

Just got accepted to McMaster for Political Science and International Relations. I haven't heard from Western, Manitoba, and Carleton, but I will be accepting McMaster's IR soon.

To anyone who has applied to UVic for an MA in Political Theory: I was made an offer this week. There is, most definitely, still hope for anyone waiting. (For what it is worth, the online application tracker still says that mine is "Under Review" so don't worry too much about what it says).

Edited by JeffC

To anyone who has applied to UVic for an MA in Political Theory: I was made an offer this week. There is, most definitely, still hope for anyone waiting. (For what it is worth, the online application tracker still says that mine is "Under Review" so don't worry too much about what it says).

I should also mention that UVic seems to have a two week window for acceptance, so if I am part of the next round of offers, you could be waiting two more weeks before you hear anything.

Edited by JeffC

Hi Jeff. Thanks for the update. I am indeed waiting on MA political theory at UVic. As I mentioned above, the grad secretary today informed me over the phone that the committee is meeting sometime soon for another round of decisions. So, I guess there is indeed hope. Cheers. (Are you accepting, btw?)

I'm thinking that it's time that I call UofT. I emailed them last week and didn't get a response. I have deadlines for other programs coming up, and I would like to hear from all schools before I make my final decision. Only issue is I have no idea who to contact! The website seems to have several people associated with the graduate program (Directors, Administrators, Secretaries). Any thoughts on who the best person to call would be?

I'm thinking that it's time that I call UofT. I emailed them last week and didn't get a response. I have deadlines for other programs coming up, and I would like to hear from all schools before I make my final decision. Only issue is I have no idea who to contact! The website seems to have several people associated with the graduate program (Directors, Administrators, Secretaries). Any thoughts on who the best person to call would be?

You should contact graduate administrators or coordinators. They are usually the ones who send out offers (as in email on behalf of the department) and deal with inquiries regarding application procedures and status updates.

Question to those accepted to NPSIA: Can you share the deadline to accept/decline offers?

Just trying to figure out if there is a possibility for the NPSIA committee to meet for second round acceptances before the end of April, as I have to accept another offer by mid-April if I don't hear back from NPSIA by then. Thanks!

Question to those accepted to NPSIA: Can you share the deadline to accept/decline offers?

Just trying to figure out if there is a possibility for the NPSIA committee to meet for second round acceptances before the end of April, as I have to accept another offer by mid-April if I don't hear back from NPSIA by then. Thanks!

We haven't received the official letters yet. I figure we have about 3 weeks to reply after we receive the official offers. Good luck.

We haven't received the official letters yet. I figure we have about 3 weeks to reply after we receive the official offers. Good luck.

Eeep!!! Looks like it might be a close call! Thanks for the info! It'd be nice to keep us waitlisters posted when you do get your letter! And congrats on the acceptance btw! :)

Every time I contacted Louis Tentsos (grad secretary), he was very gracious in responding quickly. Either that or the grad director, Simone Chambers.

Hi Jeff. Thanks for the update. I am indeed waiting on MA political theory at UVic. As I mentioned above, the grad secretary today informed me over the phone that the committee is meeting sometime soon for another round of decisions. So, I guess there is indeed hope. Cheers. (Are you accepting, btw?)

I will be accepting. Good luck to you on your application! Hope see you in the fall.

Eeep!!! Looks like it might be a close call! Thanks for the info! It'd be nice to keep us waitlisters posted when you do get your letter! And congrats on the acceptance btw! :)

I got my official letter via e-mail about an hour ago; it says we have 21 days from receiving the offer to accept/decline. I accepted - Global Political Economy cluster.

Don't give up hope, though; I have a feeling a lot of people decline because of the school's (rather paltry) funding options. Anyways, good luck on the wait list!

Just declined my admission to NPSIA - Intelligence and National Security Cluster.

Hope you waitlister's are happy!

I got my official letter via e-mail about an hour ago; it says we have 21 days from receiving the offer to accept/decline. I accepted - Global Political Economy cluster.

Don't give up hope, though; I have a feeling a lot of people decline because of the school's (rather paltry) funding options. Anyways, good luck on the wait list!

Thanks for letting us know guys! Really appreciate it! Also, I was under the impression that Carleton gave good funding... it's sucky to hear that this is not the case! I won't worry about it until and if I hear about them I guess. Thanks for the good luck wishes! and congrats to you both on your acceptances/future career paths! :)

Carleton gives great funding - I got a fully funded acceptance to the Political Science MA, which I accepted.

NPSIA, on the other hand, is more of a 'professional school', and it is considered among the best in North America, therefore I think they can 'get away' with offering less to their students. They also do not have many TA slots, so that is basically 10,000 taken away from most students.

Carleton gives great funding - I got a fully funded acceptance to the Political Science MA, which I accepted.

NPSIA, on the other hand, is more of a 'professional school', and it is considered among the best in North America, therefore I think they can 'get away' with offering less to their students. They also do not have many TA slots, so that is basically 10,000 taken away from most students.

Ah, makes sense! I knew about its reputation, but not about their low funding... hmm... food for thought indeed. We'll see what happens! Thanks for the info!

Got an email on March 21st confirming admission to PhD program at NPSIA. No word on funding yet. Does anyone know what kind of funding has been given in the past for this program or what I can expect this year?

Thanks and congrats to everyone who got in to their programs!!

Edited by nomadic_joe