Full-time employment and Grad School

Hello, all,

I have been accepted into a graduate program I look forward to start, except that the University is about 100 miles away from me (in Ohio). I am a foreign national, but married and have a full-time job in a different city (in PA), which I can't afford to quit right now. My husband also has obligations here and goes to school here. What are the options to keep the employment and go to grad-school? As a foreign national with BA from a different country, this education is extremely important to me, but covering 100 miles one way with a F/T job seems unreal. What should I do?

Thanks in advance for all your advise. Thanks!

I think you really have to look into the structure of the program as well as what your current job situation would allow in terms of flexibility.

I know somebody in a similar situation who lives about 2 hours away from here, but since he only has to attend classes twice a week, he doesn't mind the commute and is still able to work where he resides (though not fully full-time because of the two days of classes).

You must also consider what sort of strain it will put on you to work full-time and then still give 100% to study and research.

I don't know whether it is feasible to carry on a full-time job while you're in school, but if you can work this out, one thing you might want to consider is moving half way between to cut down your commute. Though you have to consider how this will impact your husband, his commute, etc. Do you have children? When you contemplated applying to school, what were your thoughts on the possibility of getting accepted? Or was it a spur of the moment type of decision where you figured you'd deal with it once it happens?

Some of this depends on school and field... But my school, as a general rule, doesn't allow outside employment for students receiving any kind of funding (including tuition breaks) without express approval of the advisor. And that's usually for part time work. Some schools and disciplines, however, are much more open to their students working, or have programs set up that allow you to do both.

You might get a bit better advice if you said what field you're in, I'm sure that will make a difference.

Edited by Eigen

I have to agree with the above posters... 100 miles is a pretty significant.. uhm.. "commute".. what did your husband say when you talked about grad school, moving, this university etc? it's possible to handle a LDR, but I would imagine your current employer will not be too happy with a similar arrangement, unless you have a job that which allows you to do the work via internet/phone/email. But even so, as mentioned above, the demands of grad school will probably not allow this.

After all, the reason stipends and tuition waivers are offered is so that students can (and are expected to) devote their energy towards their studies... If money is the primary reason for keeping your job, is the stipend enough to live off of? If so, it seems that the f/t job won't be "necessary" any more... and then the only concern is keeping up a LDR with your husband..

It depends on the program. Would it be possible for you to do the program part-time while working full-time (or vice versa)? I do have a friend doing the full-time work/full-time PhD thing, but it's hard, and her job allows telecommuting. I've been doing the full-time work/part-time grad school game for years, and I'm ready to be done with it at this point, but it's certainly doable.

I'm curious why you even applied to this school knowing all your obligations? Is the program even structured to allow you to work full time?

Good question. The description of the program doesn't eliminate employment. So, I can't say that program isn't structured for an individual to keep their employment.

I applied to this program also (among 3 others) sometime after immigrating to the States. I had two part-time jobs, both with overlapping schedules, a lot of commute and, as I saw it at the time, little opportunity for a nice job without local education. I applied in hopes of continuing to work part-time and managing other expenses and the commute to the school with the help of scholarships and loans.

I think you really have to look into the structure of the program as well as what your current job situation would allow in terms of flexibility.

I know somebody in a similar situation who lives about 2 hours away from here, but since he only has to attend classes twice a week, he doesn't mind the commute and is still able to work where he resides (though not fully full-time because of the two days of classes).

You must also consider what sort of strain it will put on you to work full-time and then still give 100% to study and research.

This is what I will probably have to do. I believe that if it works out, I will have no life for the next two years, but it is worth the sweat.

I don't know whether it is feasible to carry on a full-time job while you're in school, but if you can work this out, one thing you might want to consider is moving half way between to cut down your commute. Though you have to consider how this will impact your husband, his commute, etc. Do you have children? When you contemplated applying to school, what were your thoughts on the possibility of getting accepted? Or was it a spur of the moment type of decision where you figured you'd deal with it once it happens?

Thanks for your reply. No, we don't have any children.

I didn't think I would be accepted at all, to be honest. But I was and it is a big break for me. At the time of the application, I had two part-time jobs without much potential. Much later on, this employment came along, and I received an offer which I chose to take for many reasons, one of which is to help my husband finish his education.

Some of this depends on school and field... But my school, as a general rule, doesn't allow outside employment for students receiving any kind of funding (including tuition breaks) without express approval of the advisor. And that's usually for part time work. Some schools and disciplines, however, are much more open to their students working, or have programs set up that allow you to do both.

You might get a bit better advice if you said what field you're in, I'm sure that will make a difference.

I am in languages and linguistics. I do not think my program restricts employment, but I will have to verify that with a graduate adviser.

Edited by ursvetlanka

I have to agree with the above posters... 100 miles is a pretty significant.. uhm.. "commute".. what did your husband say when you talked about grad school, moving, this university etc? it's possible to handle a LDR, but I would imagine your current employer will not be too happy with a similar arrangement, unless you have a job that which allows you to do the work via internet/phone/email. But even so, as mentioned above, the demands of grad school will probably not allow this.

After all, the reason stipends and tuition waivers are offered is so that students can (and are expected to) devote their energy towards their studies... If money is the primary reason for keeping your job, is the stipend enough to live off of? If so, it seems that the f/t job won't be "necessary" any more... and then the only concern is keeping up a LDR with your husband..

I understand what you mean about the waivers and the stipends. I don't know whether I received any funding for this program. If so, I'd be required to teach my native language a few times a week for the university, which is probably impossible considering the distance. If I don't get the aid, I thought of taking a loan, probably because I would have to consider going to grad-school part-time (if this is even an option).

I love my new job. It is full time and it pays well, which is extremely important for my family right now, but I also love it. My husband wasn't saying anything about my applications, because I had a few part-time jobs, which could always be sacrificed for the right educational choice. Now, both employment and education are important. What a dilemma, phew.

It depends on the program. Would it be possible for you to do the program part-time while working full-time (or vice versa)? I do have a friend doing the full-time work/full-time PhD thing, but it's hard, and her job allows telecommuting. I've been doing the full-time work/part-time grad school game for years, and I'm ready to be done with it at this point, but it's certainly doable.

I think I have to consider part-time graduate studies in this case. You said that you had been doing it for years. How much longer is your program lasting because you are doing it part-time?

I think you need to contact the school and talk to them about this, not us.

I certainly will, thank you, but I was also looking for some advise from people who might have been through the same.

Edited by ursvetlanka