Applied to 8, decide from 1st Response!

Biro

Hey guys,

I've applied to 8 schools for a PhD in EE. In early February I got a positive response from USC and for some reason this was my first choice in the first place for the location and strong program in Information Thoery.. Anyway, It's 5th of March now and I haven't received a response from 6 schools yet!! (Stanford kicked me in the !@#$!)..

Since I'm an international student and visa processing time is an issue, would you guys recommend confirming the offer by USC or do you recommend waiting longer? If you recommend waiting, till when would you consider a rational time before everthing is too late and I miss out on everything because of greed :)

Thanks

PS I think I have a good chance at UCLA but not Caltech or U-M

I would give about two more weeks because at some universities committees haven't even met yet. Then, if still not word, contact them by e-mail and tell them you are concerned with your visa application time (though some US embassies around the world are very aware of this and even offer an expedited process for grad students).

I would give about two more weeks because at some universities committees haven't even met yet. Then, if still not word, contact them by e-mail and tell them you are concerned with your visa application time (though some US embassies around the world are very aware of this and even offer an expedited process for grad students).

I second this; at the uni I got accepted into they basically do all the visa documentation for you and help get it and, as far as I know, the schools haven't begun to do any of this yet (it's still too soon) - since April is the usual deadline. There are LOTS of int'l students who will be going through the same thing, I don't think you should base your acceptance on the visa issue...

I agree with busybee. If USC was your first choice AND you got accepted, then why not accept their offer? I'm pretty sure all the other schools you applied to were just in case you didn't get into USC/2nd, 3rd, 4th...choices. As long as they're giving you a decent pkg (stipend, tuition and health insurance waiver) then why not? As you said you're pretty sure that you wont get in to CalTech or U-M and Standford was a rejection...Not many people get accepted to their first choice...just my two cents

wow, thanks for your opinion guys.. all helpful

hmmm.. ok so it's safe to wait two more weeks.. before the appointment times at the embassy become very long!

@busybee3 and @see_bella: to tell you the truth, although I always wanted USC, I keep getting this annoying crapy comment that "Brains go to UCLA and the rich go to USC" and even my parents think that UCLA is much better.. well i'm not rich and I do have some brains! although I know that USC was not that great a few decades ago it certainly is now (addmission rate in 1992 was 68% now it's 25% and the EE faculty are big players in the field).. my fear is that this stigma will remain if I go to California and people start saying under thier breaths: "Spoiled Child couldn't get into UCLA"! That, my friends, is my hidden chronic fear.. fear of people's ignorant comments! :(

@timt99: yes I think you can send a written letter expressing your inability to enroll.. I guess I could do that but it just seems too mean to do, especially given a generuous financial offer and a very polite and kind treatement (unlike UT Austin guys who just don't seem to care!)

People's popular opinions and stereotypes of universities rarely match up to what people working within your field think of them. Frankly, you are an adult and you shouldn't care so much what your parents think about UCLA vs. USC, especially if they do not work in your field. What are YOUR reasons for preferring USC? Research fit? Networking? Job prospects? If they are the RIGHT reasons, then there's no reason to hold out for UCLA just because of some perceived ridicule you may get from...someone.

In any case, I definitely don't think that's the perception that people have of USC. It's a well-respected school with a lot of great programs.

Thanks juilletmercredi, I'm keeping your comment for further reference!

I gotta admit, this American spirit of following your heart instead of an image your family has drawn for you is really cool.. (hope that doesn't sound like stereotyping :ph34r:, lol)