Honors thesis--opinion

Hillary79

Alright, so a few months ago I decided to take upon my school's honors thesis (my professors basically told me I wouldn't get into grad school unless I did it...so I feel like I was guilt tripped into it). I've put it on my application, my CV, mentioned it on interviews and I'm looking at three weeks to go before it's due with absolutely nothing written.

While I knew it was going to be stressful, apparently I overestimated just how stressful (travelling for interviews plus all other schoolwork, finishing up my internship, etc. did a number on my mental state). I really want to just drop the thesis altogether so I can keep my sanity, but I'm afraid of how it would look to the schools. My first choice, while I haven't received notifaction yet, is very clinical based and doesn't put a lot of focus on research. Assuming I get accepted to the school, if I drop out of the thesis/just fail to complete due to lack of time and me ready to drop out of college over it two months before graduation...can they revoke my acceptance? Even if it probably had nothing to do with me getting in? How would that look?

What do you guys think? I'm in psychology and my first choice is a master's, if that makes any difference.

If I had put on my application, CV, and mentioned in interviews that I was completing a thesis on such-and-such a topic, I would feel morally obligated to complete the thesis in question by the deadline. It's basically a lie otherwise, and I would expect the school to expel me when they found out. If I found myself unable to complete the thesis, I would seriously question my ability to do anything in grad school.

I know in Canada some programs require that a thesis is completed, especially since a thesis is often how you gain an Honours Degree here (a basic requirement of most Master programs). I would at least check out each school's website to ensure that a thesis isn't a requirement previous to dropping it.

On a side note, I wrote my honours thesis for my Psychology degree last year. There were more than a few days where I felt hopeless while writing it and as if it would simply never end. The task is daunting and I know the vast majority of my classmates felt overwhelmed at one point or another. I know it is really difficult, but if I were you, I would keep at it. Maybe you'll be working most of the day for the next few weeks, but the feeling of accomplishment it gives at the end is amazing and I am willing to bet you'll meet similarly daunting challenges if you're applying to Masters programs in Psychology.

Edited by ladybug3

Thanks, ladybug, for the support. The program I'm applying to is very clinically based, as I said, and I know there's little, if any, focus on research... But still...like ECGScholar said, it'd be a lie if I dropped out. Unless I spoke to them beforehand and see if it's affect my acceptance... I'll try to work at it more after I get my first lit review done and my midterms. It may just be a bit shorter than the requirement but they're letting me have it a little bit shorter because I've so little time to get it done (I was abroad during the semester most people start it).

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I would definitely say stick to it. Especially if you are in Canada, an Honours thesis can be crucial for psychology programs. And like another poster said, I think that it can look very bad on your part if you were to suddenly drop it so close to the finish. After all, a big part of grad school is completing a thesis.

Good luck :)