Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

Well, we have Bloodbath #3 of the season - first Berkeley, then Northwestern, and now Yale.  It was a longshot for me, and I am fine with not getting in.  I'm just relieved to finally know something.  Other folks aren't taking it as well on the results page, and it's kinda disturbing O_o

I always like the results comments along the lines of, "I really am SHOCKED that I did not get in" for somewhere like Yale or Harvard. I would love to have that sort of confidence in myself and my abilities ;)

Czesc: This thread on the Chronicle fora might be of interest to you -- I'm linking directly to one comment that references the Grad Cafe (yes, they talk about us!):

http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,60689.msg1288540.html#msg1288540

It seems best to wait a while, give admitted students some time to respond, then email to ask politely about the status of your application.  Perhaps mention anything new that might have appeared on your CV since you applied, but avoid strong-arm tactics and questions about how you could improve your application enough to be admitted (not that you seem like the kind of person who would pester them).

Edited by Katzenmusik

Whoa, Harvard decision (via POI, but guess they're made?)

As I said above, official Harvard decisions will be finalized by the deans next week. Anything before that is unofficial.

I was told that Harvard got fewer applications (~360) than in previous years.

As I said above, official Harvard decisions will be finalized by the deans next week. Anything before that is unofficial.

I'm looking for signs of hope anywhere I can get them. Thanks, telkanuru!

I now have this mental image of Ivy League barbarian tribes carrying out scenes of pure carnage at the Grad Cafe.  We're all just hanging out, drinking our double shots and lattes, when they storm the place.  First came the fearsome Princetons.  And then the Yale... Only a few survive, and these are taken as captives.

I'm new to this forum so just catching up. But I have some information on UW-Madison. I called this morning and the woman in admissions said she was hoping to have them out next week. Keep the hope alive!

Wow, 360 is fewer than the previous years? Guys, do you think each of our applications are examined thoroughly in these departments??

Now I doubt someone even read my writing sample in Harvard.

Edited by heulwen

I now have this mental image of Ivy League barbarian tribes carrying out scenes of pure carnage at the Grad Cafe.  We're all just hanging out, drinking our double shots and lattes, when they storm the place.  First came the fearsome Princetons.  And then the Yale... Only a few survive, and these are taken as captives.

Maybe we seriously need to get a life :D

I foresee my tears during the Harvard, Stanford and Columbia carnage.

I have a feeling there already was UChicago carnage, but they just haven't published it yet.

I wonder if applications might actually be down across the board because of people frightened about the state of the job market. Not that that would make me feel any better about my myriad probable-rejections (quite the opposite).

I'm going to assume that if POIs can communicate unofficial acceptances now, the deans' meeting to finalize things sounds like a formality? Or is it to make the harder decisions for those that hadn't been decided on as definites, somehow, yet?

I have a feeling there already was UChicago carnage, but they just haven't published it yet.

I have this feeling about virtually everywhere I've applied except maybe silent Cornell and inconsistent NYU.

I wonder if applications might actually be down across the board because of people frightened about the state of the job market. Not that that would make me feel any better about my myriad probable-rejections (quite the opposite).

I'm going to assume that if POIs can communicate unofficial acceptances now, the deans' meeting to finalize things sounds like a formality? Or is it to make the harder decisions for those that hadn't been decided on as definites, somehow, yet?

This I do not know. Guess we'll find out next week!