Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

Hi everyone,

I apologize if I'm jumping the gun, but I noticed that people seem to be making decisions and wrapping up last application season in the other thread, and I'm already starting to worry about applying the next cycle. I have a paper I should be working on which is always when I seem to be plagued by anxieties about things I shouldn't worry about just yet, like applications I'll be submitting in another 10 months or so.

This fall (2012) I'll be starting a one-year MA program, so I want to try and get as much of my applications done over the summer as possible. I'm worried that a lot of my SOP, etc, will change in my first few months in graduate school, and so I'm trying to figure out a game plan. I'm also wondering how early I can contact POI, since I'll have much more time to do so during the summer months (when they're probably not too keen on hearing from prospective grad students). Living overseas and the time difference mean that I'm anticipating that being a possible hurdle when trying to contact people back in the US.

Is anyone else lurking out there planning to apply for the next cycle? Anyone else in similar shoes as me?

Seriously consider a year off. It sounds like you're still a senior in college and you're going straight to graduate school.

I will tell you two important things that I have learned in the last month:

1) If I had applied and gotten into Wisconsin 2 years ago with the interests that I had, I would've just gone. My travels abroad and employment made me realize that I really want to do transnational history and have a strong support system in the other region. Now I have to think about Wisconsin again and see if it's really the right fit as it used to be.

2) Several professors, especially my POIs in programs I've reapplied to, told me that they really enjoyed watching my intellectual development over the last year or two because time away from school have allowed my brain to process all the information I encountered in my MA program and absorb my life experiences. I'm in middle of revising my article that's been worked on for the last two years and it's incredible how much it's matured in terms of analysis and methodologies used.

Don't stress. Don't rush into this process. Give yourself time between degree programs.

Seriously consider a year off. It sounds like you're still a senior in college and you're going straight to graduate school.

Thanks for the advice -- it's definitely food for thought. I actually graduated at the end of 2010, and spent a year interning before traveling abroad on a Fulbright scholarship. So I've been doing academic work lately, but not intensively or as part of a degree program. I'm itching to get back to school, and since I was a slightly non-traditional student, would rather not take time off between my MA and PhD to work.

I do worry that I might encounter ideas and topics during my MA program that could influence the decisions I make while applying for a PhD, but so much of that has already happened in my months abroad thus far that I'm excited and confident about the direction I'm heading.

I am with you. I almost applied for 2012 but decided against it (I am currently in a Master's program), and am glad I waited.

I have some materials and a list of schools from the beginnings of last fall's attempt, as well as loads of helpful advice from this board ... which I love to lurk in to procrastinate the writing of my thesis (oy).

Anyway, hello!

This thread takes me back. Parts of the past year seemed to take forever, and now it's all flying by. Best of luck to you!

So very true. Best of luck to next year's crop of applicants. It's strange how much more confident about my scholarship I feel now than I did a year ago.

I hope to hang around this forum a little bit during the summer, and possibly on occasion next fall (if I have any time). Many of the past applicants and currently attending students were so helpful to me, I'd like to be able to pay it forward a little bit.

Congrats on how far you've come, goldielocks and SToF! I feel like I 'know' you guys just from having been lurking. And I feel like I've already learned a lot in the process, so I already have you both to thank for the application and waiting game already feeling familiar.

Nice to meet you, lafayette! I know all about that kind of procrastination...

This thread takes me back. Parts of the past year seemed to take forever, and now it's all flying by. Best of luck to you!

OMG. I basically said the same thing, except the reverse, to one of my POIs when I submitted my app in December. I wrote something like, "my god, I didn't think that I would make it this far. March seems so long ago when I was rejected from your program and I wasn't sure if I wanted to apply again..." It's all come to almost full cycle and it's pretty incredible how time does move along. Really, before you know it, you'll be sitting here again in March 2013!

Hi Runaway,

I'll be applying in the Fall of 2013 as well. I'm in a MA History/MLIS program at the moment. I want to apply to a Ph.D program for North African/Middle Eastern history. I've been doing research into Ph.D programs long before I even started my masters program so I guess it's never too early! I have my list of schools and the names of possible professors at these schools that specialize in the topic I'm interested in. This website is very helpful. It gives a lot of advice for navigating the perilous path of applying to grad school. I don't think I have half of the things I need to be considered as a serious applicant and I have doubts about my qualifications. Nevertheless, I will still continue on.

• 2 weeks later...

I may or may not be applying in Fall 2013. I've been admitted to an MA program for Fall 2012, but plan on deferring that offer if I get the Fulbright I applied for. Since I applied this season, I'll probably reapply to my top choice programs (Rutgers, Michigan History/Women's Studies Ph.D.) and the programs where I was waitlisted/close to it (Indiana, WashU). I haven't yet decided on whether I want to spend the money and time applying to other programs, since I'll have the offer to come back to.

Well I may reapply next cycle but I am in a weird holding pattern so we'll see but I know one thing is certain if I have to reapply, I am def gonna cut back my grade cafe activities. Either way, good luck to any and all members of the 2013 application group

Naturalog -- good luck with the Fulbright! I'm on one now, and it's been an amazing experience.

Oseirus -- please don't say that! I have enjoyed your humor so much while lurking on the 2012 thread. (Of course, I sincerely hope you won't need to go through another cycle!)

Naturalog -- good luck with the Fulbright! I'm on one now, and it's been an amazing experience.

Oseirus -- please don't say that! I have enjoyed your humor so much while lurking on the 2012 thread. (Of course, I sincerely hope you won't need to go through another cycle!)

You guys sure know how to stroke a guy's ego :-)

I was wondering when this would pop up...

I'll be entering the second year of my MA this fall, so it's time for PhD apps this fall for me. I'm only looking at three schools (thanks super-tiny field), but all in History departments this time. (When I applied for my MA, did a mix of EAST/History programs.)

I was wondering when this would pop up...

You guys are getting a SUPER early jump on your thread ... can't wait to see how this turns out ... wonder when your characters will start popping out ... this might be fun :)

Yay! I'm so glad to see this thread! I'll be finishing up my MA this coming Spring and will be applying to PhD programs for Fall 2013 towards the end of this year.

Like the others here have mentioned, I've been following the 2012 history app chit chat to the extent that I also feel like I know everyone there. It's almost like (a much more intellectual and entertaining) reality show that you tune in to watch each day to see what drama unfolds. I love it!

In the meantime, I've been taking classes, honing my interests, and will have a chapter of my thesis done by the end of this semester. I'll also be presenting it in England this summer (super excited!)

My potential schools and possible POI's change constantly, but I think I'm getting closer and closer to where I need to be. I'm just going with the flow and trying to enjoy the process :-)

I look forward to getting to know all of the 2013 grad cafe "cohort" ;-)

P.S. Oseirus - it would be heartbreaking to see you go. Even if you're knee deep in your scholarly pursuits, your humor and experience would be much needed.

Yay! I'm so glad to see this thread! I'll be finishing up my MA this coming Spring and will be applying to PhD programs for Fall 2013 towards the end of this year. Like the others here have mentioned, I've been following the 2012 history app chit chat to the extent that I also feel like I know everyone there. It's almost like (a much more intellectual and entertaining) reality show that you tune in to watch each day to see what drama unfolds. I love it! In the meantime, I've been taking classes, honing my interests, and will have a chapter of my thesis done by the end of this semester. I'll also be presenting it in England this summer (super excited!) My potential schools and possible POI's change constantly, but I think I'm getting closer and closer to where I need to be. I'm just going with the flow and trying to enjoy the process :-) I look forward to getting to know all of the 2013 grad cafe "cohort" ;-) P.S. Oseirus - it would be heartbreaking to see you go. Even if you're knee deep in your scholarly pursuits, your humor and experience would be much needed.

Oh I won't be going too far I just probably won't comment as much ... as it looks like I'm going the MA route so there is a 90% chance I'll be back here again in some capacity :-)

Oh I won't be going too far I just probably won't comment as much ... as it looks like I'm going the MA route so there is a 90% chance I'll be back here again in some capacity :-)

Nothing wrong with an MA. It was the best route for me :-)

Nothing wrong with an MA. It was the best route for me :-)

oh at this stage getting into a high school would be good news for me ... no pressure International Baccalaureate programs, but you're on the clock! Make me an offer!

I'm applying for Fall 2013 - Dual Public History and Library Science. Seems like I'm going to blink and it'll be here. I am going straight to grad school after 3 years of university but I'm ready and I decided I can't feasibly do a year off. The only reason I'd do a year off is if I get rejected/unfunded everywhere I apply.

I've been planning for grad school basically since I got accepted to my first college. I've now narrowed my list to the 7 I want to apply and have 2 out of the 3 recommenders in mind. My Personal Statement is slooowly coming along as well.

What scares you guys the most about the process?

I'm applying for Fall 2013 - Dual Public History and Library Science. Seems like I'm going to blink and it'll be here. I am going straight to grad school after 3 years of university but I'm ready and I decided I can't feasibly do a year off. The only reason I'd do a year off is if I get rejected/unfunded everywhere I apply.

I've been planning for grad school basically since I got accepted to my first college. I've now narrowed my list to the 7 I want to apply and have 2 out of the 3 recommenders in mind. My Personal Statement is slooowly coming along as well.

Wow! You're already way ahead of most I would think. I admire you for already knowing what you want and taking the necessary steps to get there. I wish I'd had that kind of foresight at an earlier age.

Funny, I think the worst part of the process for me will be interviewing (assuming I have schools interested in me and my work!). I'm not great at being put on the spot. Everything I learn seems to go out the window and the nervousness makes me forget simple words! I just hope I come across intelligent and personable, rather than ditzy, dull, or creepy.

P.S. I see you are applying to Rhode Island. My best friend lives in Newport and I've totally fallen in love with it.

Oh gosh... what doesn't? haha.

I guess what I'm most worried about though is putting too much of myself into my applications, burning out, and not having the energy to do another cycle when I know a PhD is what I want. I tend to agonize over every little detail, and it's worked in my favor so far (and, miraculously, I have not lost friends or even my SO in the process.)

But I know this next time around I'm not going to get admitted everywhere I apply. I might not get admitted anywhere at all! Somehow, before this time next year, I'll need to figure out how to not take rejection (so) personally.

Guys don't start stressing now ... this journey has barely begun ... remember the words of Coach Taylor (heard this on a podcast) ... clear eyes ... full hearts .... can't lose!