Chicago or American?

I have two programs to choose from at the moment, and I'm trying to get a head start on making the decision, since I only have about a month and a half. Any help would be appreciated!

First, some background: I'm a senior in an undergraduate institution, and so have no full-time work experience. This means I am less sure of exactly what I want to do as compared to people who have been out in the field for some time. I do know that I love anything international relations/development, that I love research and writing, and that I will most likely opt for a PhD program in the future. I like teaching, but I would also like to work.

I got into the Chicago CIR Program and American University's International Development Program (both MA). I have generous funding from both, and will only have to be pay living costs in both places. What should be some of things I should be considering?

Thanks in advance!

I do, however, want to work in the development field (at least straight out of masters, for a little while, and perhaps be a scholar-practitioner after the PhD). I was job searching this year, and many UN jobs asked for an IR/IDev/etc MA degree (as in, they were not specific about which kind for many positions). However, I have heard Chicago is not as good for a professional career. I don't know how true this is, given that many former students have posted on here that only about 8-10 of the class of 40-50 go on for PhDs, and the rest go into the job market. But how well do they do?

I agree. Chicago is hands down the better place for academia. Your chances of getting into a top PhD program will be higher after Chicago than after American.

However, Chicago is a one-year program so unless you're hoping to do a second year or want to take some time off, you'd need to apply to PhD programs soon after classes start. Getting letters of recommendation and stuff can be hard then, but I expect them to deal with this thing all the time.

Since you're in the ID program at American, I guess you're really interested in that. Chicago really isn't the best place to do that, IMO. If you want to do ID, American is the better pick, I think (Chicago offers maybe 3-5 classes in Dev every semester, not exactly breadth to choose from, I think).

I don't know about living cost in both city, but I guess its comparable.

Hi - I'm currently working in India, doing consulting for various development agencies (World Bank, DFID, etc). I wanted a grad degree but not a PhD, and didn't even look outside the east coast for career reasons. Basically, being in DC would be an enormous advantage if you want to work in ID, but if you want to go the academic way then definitely go for Chicago.

For some background, I've been admitted to MA Indev at AU, and awaiting decisions from SIPA, SAIS, HKS, Georgetown, and GW.

Good luck!

Hi - I'm currently working in India, doing consulting for various development agencies (World Bank, DFID, etc). I wanted a grad degree but not a PhD, and didn't even look outside the east coast for career reasons. Basically, being in DC would be an enormous advantage if you want to work in ID, but if you want to go the academic way then definitely go for Chicago.

For some background, I've been admitted to MA Indev at AU, and awaiting decisions from SIPA, SAIS, HKS, Georgetown, and GW.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I'm wondering, though, whether going to a school in DC for career reasons makes more sense if you want to work in the US. If you want to work in the development sector in places like India, Pakistan, Nepal, etc (South Asia) - something you are doing currently - does it really matter whether you got an MA from Chicago or American?

Yes, it definitely matters. In New York and especially DC, you will meet and interact with a higher number of globally oriented people and institutions (not including corporates, for which Chicago should be fine but it doesn't sound like you're interested in that anyway!). So in terms of networking, internships, and getting jobs after you've got your degree, being on the east coast is going to be a major plus. My undergrad was from a small liberal arts college in the midwest, which was a disadvantage. I worked in DC for a year after graduation (nothing do with international development) and that opened a lot of doors. Of course Chicago is going to have a much wider reach than my college, but even then Chicago won't be as career-relevant as DC for international development professionals.

But if you're interested in academia, definitely choose Chicago.

Did you apply to any other programs?

Yes, it definitely matters. In New York and especially DC, you will meet and interact with a higher number of globally oriented people and institutions (not including corporates, for which Chicago should be fine but it doesn't sound like you're interested in that anyway!). So in terms of networking, internships, and getting jobs after you've got your degree, being on the east coast is going to be a major plus. My undergrad was from a small liberal arts college in the midwest, which was a disadvantage. I worked in DC for a year after graduation (nothing do with international development) and that opened a lot of doors. Of course Chicago is going to have a much wider reach than my college, but even then Chicago won't be as career-relevant as DC for international development professionals.

But if you're interested in academia, definitely choose Chicago.

Did you apply to any other programs?

Ah! I'm currently at a small liberal arts school in the midwest as well. Thanks for your input. I'll definitely be taking it into consideration. And yes, I did apply to a few other places: SAIS, GW, and GSPIA. Still waiting on those.

Thanks to everyone else who replied too. I would be very grateful for more feedback and other people's opinions!

Edited by strangertimes

My issue with CIR is that it's a one year program. You need to know your thesis by second quarter. It seems just a little too fast. It's also quite expensive for just one year. For these reasons, I did not apply.

Thanks for your feedback everyone. I am SO CONFUSED. In terms of expense - it will be comparable, BUT AU is two years, so I suppose it will be more there... I would benefit so much from talking to former students from CIR and the SIS MAID program. Are there any here? Could someone perhaps put me in touch with their friends who have graduated from those places?

Unfortunately I don't know anyone in the ID program here at AU.. I'm an IP student :/ However try calling AU and asking if someone can put you in touch with some current students.

Thanks, I think I will do that. In your opinion, does being in DC matter so much if you do not want to work in the US? Also, I will likely be interning in DC this summer anyway (regardless of whether I go to Chicago or AU). Does that help things a bit if I decide to go to Chicago?

I have two programs to choose from at the moment, and I'm trying to get a head start on making the decision, since I only have about a month and a half. Any help would be appreciated!

First, some background: I'm a senior in an undergraduate institution, and so have no full-time work experience. This means I am less sure of exactly what I want to do as compared to people who have been out in the field for some time. I do know that I love anything international relations/development, that I love research and writing, and that I will most likely opt for a PhD program in the future. I like teaching, but I would also like to work.

I got into the Chicago CIR Program and American University's International Development Program (both MA). I have generous funding from both, and will only have to be pay living costs in both places. What should be some of things I should be considering?

Thanks in advance!

Strangertimes, if you're comfortable with posting your stats, would you? I'm very interested in the Chicago CIR program and curious about who they're admitting this year (I'm planning on applying next year). Thanks either way :)

Thanks, I think I will do that. In your opinion, does being in DC matter so much if you do not want to work in the US? Also, I will likely be interning in DC this summer anyway (regardless of whether I go to Chicago or AU). Does that help things a bit if I decide to go to Chicago?

It's so funny you mention this. Originally I thought it was super important to be in DC for internships, and then I ended up interning at the UN headquarters in NYC.. which was the sole reason I didn't apply anywhere outside of DC (internship purposes).

So, I don't think in terms of internship DC should be your sole factor (which unfortunately I learned late in the game). However I think if you want to have work experience on your resume for abroad purposes, Washington DC looks excellent.. I'm not sure which region you're focusing on (which region is your focus by the way?) but everyone knows DC. It's the capital of the US.. so, it looks better on your resume than Chicago would.. for instance. Where exactly are you looking to work in the future? Latin America is my background, so most of my friends are Latin American, etc. if you need help from that perspective, I can help you.. one of my best friends went to Georgetown for development, worked at OAS and now the World Bank. If it's any other region, I'm not so experienced. But let me know, if I know of anyone, I can connect you.

It's so funny you mention this. Originally I thought it was super important to be in DC for internships, and then I ended up interning at the UN headquarters in NYC.. which was the sole reason I didn't apply anywhere outside of DC (internship purposes).

So, I don't think in terms of internship DC should be your sole factor (which unfortunately I learned late in the game). However I think if you want to have work experience on your resume for abroad purposes, Washington DC looks excellent.. I'm not sure which region you're focusing on (which region is your focus by the way?) but everyone knows DC. It's the capital of the US.. so, it looks better on your resume than Chicago would.. for instance. Where exactly are you looking to work in the future? Latin America is my background, so most of my friends are Latin American, etc. if you need help from that perspective, I can help you.. one of my best friends went to Georgetown for development, worked at OAS and now the World Bank. If it's any other region, I'm not so experienced. But let me know, if I know of anyone, I can connect you.

You're definitely right about DC looking great on the resume - I chose to look for internships there this summer not only because I was interested in the work the organizations do (and this is the most important thing), but also because I was aware of the impact something like that has on your resume. My area of interest is South Asia (mostly India, Pakistan, and Afghanistan). I'm interested in both security and development. That's the area I want to go back to, and at the moment I don't see myself actively pursuing work in DC outside of internships. My question was, I guess, whether it's important to have worked in DC to get a WB job in a place like India or Pakistan. I know it wouldn't hurt at all, but I wonder how important it is. And YES, if you know anyone and could put me in touch, I would be extremely grateful for that!

Edited by strangertimes

Strangertimes, if you're comfortable with posting your stats, would you? I'm very interested in the Chicago CIR program and curious about who they're admitting this year (I'm planning on applying next year). Thanks either way :)

Sure, no problem :) I'm not sure what stats includes, though - I'm a gradcafe newbie - so let me know what you would like to know and I'll be happy to share!

On one hand being in DC helps in terms of access. HOWEVER, and this is doubly true if you want to work abroad...the Chicago name is head and shoulders above AU's, it is not even close. In Europe this is huge, in South Asia this is game changing. Especially if you want to work at the WB, this is a no brainer. Go to Chicago and don't look back.

Sure, no problem :) I'm not sure what stats includes, though - I'm a gradcafe newbie - so let me know what you would like to know and I'll be happy to share!

I was thinking:

Undergrad GPA/Major

GRE Score

Int. Experience

Any X factors that would make your app stand out

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it :)

Undergrad GPA/Major: IPE and Philosophy double major/3.9 (small US liberal arts school, lower end of top 60)

GRE Score: I forget the actual scores but I do remember the percentiles - 93% Q, 99% V, 5.5

Int. Experience: I am an intl student, and have two good internships in my home country. While in the US I also studied abroad in the UK.

Any X factors that would make your app stand out: I believe my LORs were good. Although I did nothing for them except for ask (no conversation about what I want highlighted, etc) they were from my closest professors who are very familiar with my work ethic, quality, interests, etc. Also I am quote involved on campus as an RA and as someone working to set up a student led foundation.

Hope that helps :)

Edited by strangertimes

On one hand being in DC helps in terms of access. HOWEVER, and this is doubly true if you want to work abroad...the Chicago name is head and shoulders above AU's, it is not even close. In Europe this is huge, in South Asia this is game changing. Especially if you want to work at the WB, this is a no brainer. Go to Chicago and don't look back.

Thanks! That's solid advice. I talked to an alum from CIR who is from my part of the world, and they said a Chicago degree will matter much more if I decide to go back. Plus it will be cheaper (1 year as opposed to 2). I'm not making any final decisions yet till I go to the open house though. Let's see. But thanks so much!