anyone here taught at a community college?

I've been accepted to two MA programs with the hope of afterwards landing a teaching position at a CC. The problem is that my first choice is halfway across the country and the other is fairly close to where I am from and hope to settle down (neither is terribly prestigious; both are big state unis). Do you think an MA from such a school would be less valuable (especially to CCs) outside of the region? I'm thinking that community colleges are, well, community-focused, and might look more favorably at a degree earned closer to home. I was also told point-blank by the DGS at the first choice that it is nearly impossible to land tenure-track positions at 4-year colleges and unis outside of the region, though I'm aiming significantly lower.

I post this here rather than the jobs board because I was hoping for more English-centric replies. Hope that's okay!

Thanks!

Edited by theoneand

If you're looking for adjunct work, it can be done. I earned my AB/MA in New England and got an adjunct job at a community college here in Tennessee via email/telephone. Community colleges' enrollments are growing so much these days that I don't think they care to discriminate based on region -- at least not for adjuncts. TT might be a different story, but I don't really understand why it should be. I'm ignorant to CC hiring norms, though. Good luck!

I think that your instincts as far as location are dead on. If you've got an offer in/near an area where you want to settle down and teach, you should stay there. Part of the advantage to this is that you may be able to adjunct in summers or the regular school year and help secure yourself a position before you even finish your MA. Community colleges can be super competitive, especially if you don't have the Ph.D. Therefore, the more local connections you can demonstrate, the more competitive you will be in landing a TT job at a CC. Congrats and good luck!

Something else to consider:

In my experience at two different community colleges, you can expect to adjunct for six years (conservative estimate) before you're seriously considered for the full-time gig. Also in my experience, "full-time gig" is far more accurate a description for the CC level than is "tenure-track job."

In theory, you could get a full-time gig after adjuncting for three years (or perhaps even fewer), but that'll depend on where you're teaching, of course.

I would go on about everything I've experienced at the adjunct level, but I don't really feel like writing a novel right now. If anyone's interested, just PM me and I'll write you a massive epic.

While Timshel and homeric_voice might be right about usually needing to adjunct first, that has not been my experience. I joined the full-time faculty of a CC right out of my MA. I do think it was important that I was already in the area (about an hour and a half away) because all of the candidates they interviewed already lived in the area (the CC is in a very small town near a couple bigish cities, so "in the area" is actually a fairly large area) despite getting applications from all over the country.

Feel free to message me if you've got any specific questions about what it's like to be on faculty at a CC (teaching load, service, admin craziness, and so on). I've discovered that this is not the place for me, but I can see why it would work for others, so I promise I won't be one of those "teaching at a CC is torture" people should you have any questions.

After graduating with an M.A. in English I found work as an adjunct instructor at a community college. Depending on the school, it can be a rewarding experience. I love it. One tip I can give you if you want to focus on teaching in two-year schools is to specialize in an area like developmental education or online instruction. There's a big move to improve retention rates at all colleges right now, at community colleges with open enrollment this means focusing on the students that are lacking even a basic education. Developmental education classes are those numbered 095, 080 and 070 that seem to draw a wide range people into them and have all scored low on the entrance test. These students are of all ages and educational levels and have different needs. It can be a challenge, but it's fun when you get it figured out. I teach writing 101, but I also have a developmental reading class where we just work on college level reading and study skills.

A lot of community colleges are moving towards online or hybrid classes as well. Hybrid classes use a mix of online work and face to face class time; these types of classes seem to fit a community full of working parents.

Another thing to focus on is to get tutoring center experience. Try to get work in a writing center, or teach college success courses.

Also, if you are at a University with an education program, try to work on getting a Dual-Credit Licensure. It doesn't require being a fully licensed high school teacher, but it will allow you to teach college classes that allow advanced high school students into them for dual credit. They even have some of these classes at the high school.

The opportunities to teach other classes will always be there at a community college when you get your foot in the door, but if you to get yourself there faster, focus on a speciality. The college I work at, and a few other community colleges around here, have all gone on a hiring spree looking for teachers with these specialities. They are in demand. I've had some great experiences over the last year, I could stay here and probably get a tenure track position in another year or so, but I got into my top choice of PhD programs for Rhetoric and Composition, so that's my journey. Who knows, I might be back at a two-year school someday.

To recap: Developmental Education, Online/Hybrid Education, Tutoring Center & College Success Experiences, Dual-Credit Licensure. There's some pretty good jobs out there right now in two-year institutions if you are interested in these things, at least the two year schools I have looked for work at.

Good Luck,

Edited by UMontanaGrad

Also, if you are at a University with an education program, try to work on getting a Dual-Credit Licensure. It doesn't require being a fully licensed high school teacher, but it will allow you to teach college classes that allow advanced high school students into them for dual credit. They even have some of these classes at the high school.

In your experience, do you think having 2 MAs, one in education, one in English would make someoneone pretty marketable in this field? (Might make me a bit more eager to accept my MA offer!)

Thanks.

In your experience, do you think having 2 MAs, one in education, one in English would make someoneone pretty marketable in this field? (Might make me a bit more eager to accept my MA offer!)

The short answer is yes, but it's not necessary to have a full MA in ed. I was enrolled in both MAs as a grad student, and some of the education classes have helped me out immensely. Classes like Inclusion and Collaboration and Reading Strategies for Young Adults were big pluses when I interviewed for the job I have now. I'm only 9 credits away from finishing my secondary licensure to teach high school. Honestly, I think community colleges look for good teachers that have a specialty, like English, so if you go into dual MAs, make sure you design your Ed. classes it to focus on that level of education. One plan is to Finish your MA in English first while taking some Ed. classes. You can always finish the secondary licensure and ed classes later and still look for a job with your shiny new Masters Degree.

Edited by UMontanaGrad

The short answer is yes, but it's not necessary to have a full MA in ed. I was enrolled in both MAs as a grad student, and some of the education classes have helped me out immensely. Classes like Inclusion and Collaboration and Reading Strategies for Young Adults were big pluses when I interviewed for the job I have now. I'm only 9 credits away from finishing my secondary licensure to teach high school. Honestly, I think community colleges look for good teachers that have a specialty, like English, so if you go into dual MAs, make sure you design your Ed. classes it to focus on that level of education. One plan is to Finish your MA in English first while taking some Ed. classes. You can always finish the secondary licensure and ed classes later and still look for a job with your shiny new Masters Degree.

I getcha; I ask because I already have an MAT and will be moving on to the English MA. Even if I don't need the "full" MAT, I have it, plus state licensure. Definitely not necessary for community college, I assume, but I was hoping to play it up on resumes/applications, if the opportunity arises. Thanks for your insights.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone in the CC realm... wanted to bump this thread because I'm about to interview for an adjunct CC position tomorrow and hoped to get some advice. I applied to an open job posting, having in mind that I would most likely only teach over the summer, or for longer if I did not get into a PhD program. I mentioned in my cover letter that I intend to enroll in a PhD program, but did not specify when, since I didn't know at the time (now I'm in! :) ) Should I be worried about saying I only want a job for over the summer? Should I try to avoid the question? The job description doesn't mention a contract length or anything; it's very vague and I only assume that it is for Composition. I'd really like to get a job like this so I don't want to ruin my chances. I'd appreciate any insights!

Edited to add:

Can one come to expect a certain contract length from these general job postings? That, I think, is my major question, since being in touch with the one who contacted me about the interview has not been lightning-speed, to say the least.

Edited by transcendental

Hi everyone in the CC realm... wanted to bump this thread because I'm about to interview for an adjunct CC position tomorrow and hoped to get some advice. I applied to an open job posting, having in mind that I would most likely only teach over the summer, or for longer if I did not get into a PhD program. I mentioned in my cover letter that I intend to enroll in a PhD program, but did not specify when, since I didn't know at the time (now I'm in! :) ) Should I be worried about saying I only want a job for over the summer? Should I try to avoid the question? The job description doesn't mention a contract length or anything; it's very vague and I only assume that it is for Composition. I'd really like to get a job like this so I don't want to ruin my chances. I'd appreciate any insights!

Edited to add:

Can one come to expect a certain contract length from these general job postings? That, I think, is my major question, since being in touch with the one who contacted me about the interview has not been lightning-speed, to say the least.

I've been an adjunct at a couple of community colleges and they were both strictly semester by semester contracts, partially due to the fact that it's part-time work for instructors who do intend to move on at the drop of a hat. That said, I wouldn't go out of my way to tell them you intend to be there only for the short-term. Though adjunct work as short-term is something, I think, of a tacit understanding, nobody wants to have to hire again if they don't need to. Hope that helps--and good luck with the interview!

I've been an adjunct at a couple of community colleges and they were both strictly semester by semester contracts, partially due to the fact that it's part-time work for instructors who do intend to move on at the drop of a hat. That said, I wouldn't go out of my way to tell them you intend to be there only for the short-term. Though adjunct work as short-term is something, I think, of a tacit understanding, nobody wants to have to hire again if they don't need to. Hope that helps--and good luck with the interview!

That is very helpful, thank you!

From what I've seen (limited experience, so keep that in mind) adjuncting at a CC for 1 year . . . observed hiring process involving friends in two different departments. In both cases, the person hired was from outside the school, chosen over people who had been adjuncting for 5-10+ years (with good evals). There seemed to be no loyalty to current employees, and "greater" degrees did seem to influence hiring in at least one case (PhD over MA). (But to be fair, all finalists had to present a mini-lecture . . . and since I was not on either hiring committee, maybe the person chosen did do the best job).