Decisions, Decisions! 2012 Decision Thread

TexanLex

Finally made a decision!! *drum rolls* PENN! I feel so relieved that this ordeal is over, but at the same time, it feels like it's just begun! I had a really difficult time deciding between UPenn and Michigan. Even though Michigan was touted as the better program, I felt that I would forever regret not attending Penn. I think what it came down to was location, opportunity, and experience. Penn and Philadelphia are NOTHING like UT Austin (where I am currently), and I wanted a completely different graduate school experience and didn't want to attend an institution that was similar to my undergrad. Plus, I wanted to step out of my comfort zone and just take a chance and follow a dream/inkling. East coast/Philly/Penn are a total 180 from what I've experienced in life and I thought it would be a huge change and a bit of a challenge, something I look forward to! Also, there are tons of schools on the east coast, and this is a chance for me to really get out and explore.

I'm really excited and I think I made the right decision. Something was pulling me in that direction and I always follow my gut. It hurt to turn down a job offer I got from Michigan (I really would have enjoyed the people and the department I would've worked in), but I'd like to think that maybe one day I'll be at Michigan for something else. Anywho, I'm babbling, but that's just because I'm excited and scared and this is JUST SO NEW AND SO AWESOME AND SO AMAZING!!

Good luck to everyone else in their decision-making and thank you all for sharing in the journey!

Congrats!

Finally made my decision as well: Michigan! It was odd navigating the choice to turn down my best offer at Brown, but Michigan also came through with great funding. After numerous conversations with my advisor, I felt like I had a better fit there as well, and I'm excited that the program will allow me to chart my own course to some extent. Congrats to everyone who has made a decision, and best of luck to those still deciding.

Decide to go Vanderbilt Peabody!!!

It was so hard to decide bw Penn & Vandy

But follow my guts;)

Anyone else to go Vandy for this Fall???!

ME!! Great choice! I am very excited for the fall. Find the group on facebook!

Hey guys -- need some help. This is super late but any quick feedback would help.

Accepted at HGSE (HDP) and Stanford (POLS). Have some financial aid from HGSE but none from Stanford as it does not give aid to international students. Can people who visited both schools for admit day share their impressions and recommendation between the two?

Went to Nashville to visit Vandy's campus this weekend. It is gorgeous, and I loved Nashville, but my gut wasn't feeling it. Ohio State is where I want to be, so I accepted my offer there Sunday! A little nerve-wrecking to turn down the number one program just a few days after declining an offer (with partial funding!) from an Ivy, but I'm glad I finally made my choice.

Edited by echolikebells

I will be attending UT Austin this fall for a Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction (Cultural Studies in Education). I am SO stoked! Now I just have to get myself residency to cut my tuition in half, haha!

What a difficult and emotional process this was! Congrats to everyone!

echolikebells--

OSU! Patti Lather! Lucky you!

I lucked out with quite a few of the faculty, although I'm not sure how many I'll get to interact with as a member of a M.Ed+Licensure program. OSU is much more in line with my own interests than Vanderbilt, and we're doing a lot of exciting stuff with queer theories/queer issues/intersectionality/feminism in the classroom and a lot of just personally interesting things with AYA literature, so I am excited!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Vanderbilt (Peabody) just now let me know that I had been accepted. Which is great, but it took so long that I had already started a program at UVA that starts in the summer. Good times. The program is a M.Ed. in Higher Education Administration.