UC Santa Barbara

FrankyS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My SO was accepted to UCSB and we're applying to live in Family housing (I'm not sure if we will be eligible since we're not in a rush to get married. anyone have any experience with Family housing?).

We'd love to live in town but the prices are a bit steep for what you get. I've been looking at Lompoc since it is cheaper but I'd rather not add a comute to his daily schedule. Anyone having any luck in finding reasonable priced apartments or home rentals? (We're looking for a single bedroom unit) Craigslist seems to have many new postings each day snice it is a vacation area, but most of them that are close by are beyond our means.

My plan is either to live in the San Clemente apartments or, if I can find an affordable enough option, take an apartment within 4 miles or so of campus. I would bus or bike to campus in that situation. On Craigslist I saw a 3-bed place for $2,275 last night, which per bedroom seems to be the cheapest out there. Also saw a couple of 2-bed places for $1700-1800.

Since I don't see myself staying in SB long-term, my inclination is to find a furnished place to avoid the cost of buying furniture and/or moving it. Still very much up in the air! Saving my pennies in the meantime.

I decided on UCSB. Where are you all thinking of living while you're there?

I have been wanting my own place for a while, but I think I will end up in San Clemente for the first year to avoid the hassle of furnishing/finding a good neighbourhood/looking at houses from abroad. I hope I get placed with good people! :)

• 4 weeks later...