Small scholarships

Kane3

I will be getting my Master's in English this fall. I have received a substantial scholarship but still owe a small amount each semester. I've read many posts in which someone complains about the small $500 or $1000 scholarships that one can get for submitting an essay. I would just like to know where to find such scholarships. I know that there are many, many options but I really can't seem to find any. I've googled it and looked through a couple hundred but they are mostly for people who live in a specific county. I don't need a huge scholarship (and am very grateful that that is the case) but I can't find any of the small ones that people keep mentioning! If anyone could direct me toward some options I would appreciate it very very much.

Congratulations to all of you who have received good news from your schools!

One problem might be in making sure it's ok to use funds for grad school vs. undergrad, but here's some things I've found.

Groups on campus: IEEE, Eta Kappa Nu, Alpha Lambda Delta... all those worthless societies you paid $50 to join when you were a wide eyed freshman? A lot of that money goes to scholarships.

Greek: Almost all fraternities and sororities have them.

Conferences: This is where I have had the best luck. Lots of academic conferences have scholarships. And not just the big ones, even small ones - and the conferences are really fun to go to! Plus almost no one applies because a lot of people don't know that conferences have scholarships.

Companies you have worked for when you were younger / in high school: KFC, McDonalds, even Safeway had scholarships I applied for.

Big Online Scholarship Repositories: ScholarshipExperts.com etc... thousands of listed scholarships but you are competing with kids from all across the world. Not worth it in my opinion.

Edited by hungry