Insight into UVA?

cokohlik

It does! :) Thank you!

I saw that they notified a couple people already, but being optimistic I'd like to think that those few people were at the top of the list and they're still going to accept some more.

It does! :) Thank you!

I saw that they notified a couple people already, but being optimistic I'd like to think that those few people were at the top of the list and they're still going to accept some more.

Those may have been the people who were offered university-wide fellowships, so they heard early to come visit for the interview weekend. Usually mid to late March is when everything gets sent out.

This week was spring break here, so not a whole lot happened.

Those may have been the people who were offered university-wide fellowships, so they heard early to come visit for the interview weekend. Usually mid to late March is when everything gets sent out.

This week was spring break here, so not a whole lot happened.

Ahhh! :) Thank you!!!! That gives me a glimmer of hope :)

No worries! I didn't hear back until the end of March/beginning of April. All I can say is hang in there, it'll work out in the end.

Wow!! End of March... Good on you for surviving that long! I feel like it's been an eternity, especially since when I spoke to my POI last year, he told me to email him once I'd submitted my application, and when I did, he never replied. Ah! I haven't found a legitimate "excuse" to email him since. I sure hope they start notifying soon! And that they're in high spirits after spring break ;) Thank you so much!

Well, I emailed them since my MA offer needs an answer soon and I got a reply super fast. I'm on the wait list but they don't think they'll need it this year, so rejections will be sent out April 15. Wasn't sure if them not thinking they'll need it meant I am far down on the list or if they simply already have lots of accepted offers. Either way, it's a wait list and not an outright rejection so that's good, eh :)

They're not sending any of the rejects out until April 15?! Blargh. Thanks for the insight. I think the wait list situation this year might be because they're strictly limited to 5 people. Maybe I should email them too?

There were only 4 in last year's incoming class, and they're capping at 5 this year. As far as I'm aware, there have been 2 offers made to fellowship candidates, but you never know when a spot will open up. That being said, there are a lot of applicants to the department, and a full 1/3 of those applications are for classical art and archaeology, so it's a delicate balancing act to admit students for all the various subfields and the classical archaeology program, since they all share the same pool of open slots for admissions.