Master of Teaching - OISE/UT

Red Bull89

did you guys also apply to the MT program? 

im confused what invited means! haha 

Sorry, to clarify, I only applied to the MT program (Intermediate/Senior for History and English), and my ROSI status says registered. Are you a current U of T student? Maybe it says invited because you're still completing a program? Where the rest of us, this is our only program? Not really sure, though. 

Nope, I'm not a U of T student... maybe the registrar hasn't reviewed my application yet! MT is the only program I applied to also. I guess I will find out soon! Thanks ! 

Nope, I'm not a U of T student... maybe the registrar hasn't reviewed my application yet! MT is the only program I applied to also. I guess I will find out soon! Thanks !

My status on ROSI is "invited" too, but I applied to another OISE program and two different streams in MT. All programs are listed but only my first choice is registered as invited. I'm sure once you accept the official invitation your status will change to registered.

Also if you can search for courses under course management on ROSI(which you will be able to do with an invited status), you have been accepted into the program.

Edited by thisthat

how do you log onto rosi? i'm not a UOFT student. I know you get the student number from SGS but what about the pin #? 

There should be 'first time user' or something like that, on ROSI. I think it's 6 digits, MMDDYY of your birthday

just received my official in the mail for MT :)

Yay! I'll patiently wait for mine to reach Vancouver. When was it dated/sent out?

I just received mine too! I am in the GTA .. my letter was dated march 13th , not sure what date it was sent though... im actually not living in the country so my sister sent me a picture of the acceptance letter haha 

Yay! I'll patiently wait for mine to reach Vancouver. When was it dated/sent out?

dated march 13th and i was told that this was the day the letters were sent out as well :) 

I live in the GTA and haven't heard anything from email or regular mail. Anyone else in this boat? I also logged into ROSI and didn't see anything, even though I have a student number from a previous degree at the school. It's not looking good  ;)

I live in the GTA and haven't heard anything from email or regular mail. Anyone else in this boat? I also logged into ROSI and didn't see anything, even though I have a student number from a previous degree at the school. It's not looking good  ;)

Same here. I'm finishing my masters degree this semester... TA'ed for two years while doing masters degree.. numerous other teaching activities and volunteers... I was offered entrance scholarship to uOttawa--I heard that's quite rare at uOttawa

I keep thinking I would be good enough for OISE, especially with this year's low applicant number (hence, MT application is still open!)..... We'll see how this will turn out.

With low applicant #, I doubt there will be any waitlists for people who applied before December 1st---it will be either Yes or No....I think.

Sometime this week or next week will be the time for people who are still waiting to hear back.. Let's hope for a good news.

By the way, the liaison said on March 16th:

"Please note a final decision has not been made for all applicants who applied before December 1, 2014. At this point this is the only information we can provide. Thank you for your patience as the official notification of results are being produced and sent in the mail."

Same here. I'm finishing my masters degree this semester... TA'ed for two years while doing masters degree.. numerous other teaching activities and volunteers... I was offered entrance scholarship to uOttawa--I heard that's quite rare at uOttawa

I keep thinking I would be good enough for OISE, especially with this year's low applicant number (hence, MT application is still open!)..... We'll see how this will turn out.

With low applicant #, I doubt there will be any waitlists for people who applied before December 1st---it will be either Yes or No....I think.

Sometime this week or next week will be the time for people who are still waiting to hear back.. Let's hope for a good news.

By the way, the liaison said on March 16th:

"Please note a final decision has not been made for all applicants who applied before December 1, 2014. At this point this is the only information we can provide. Thank you for your patience as the official notification of results are being produced and sent in the mail."

there is still a chance! how do you know about the low applicant number? do you know roughly how many people applied vs. how many got in ? i was under the impression that the applicant number was higher than in previous years because of the undergrad program closing . good luck! 

there is still a chance! how do you know about the low applicant number? do you know roughly how many people applied vs. how many got in ? i was under the impression that the applicant number was higher than in previous years because of the undergrad program closing . good luck! 

I don't know about U of T specifically, I'm merely guessing.

However, look at here:::

http://www.ouac.on.ca/statistics/teacher-education-applications/tapp_march/

OUAC B.Ed applicant numbers:

2013-8,997

2014-8,994

2015-4,107

Of course, U of T is now OUT of OUAC... but still, less than half the number of applicants on OUAC this year...

I bet, if they had enough applications, they would have closed MT application already. 

This year is historic low for teacher education programs. I guess people just don't want to do 2 years. Well, less competitions for all of us.

If you want to see previous U of T ED program admission stats:

http://ro.oise.utoronto.ca/RO_Official.htm

However, like I mentioned, teacher education admission this year is WEIRD. Less applicants but less spots.

U of T had 1000 B.Ed and 200 MT previously, they are transitioning to 700 MT (This is total # of registration, Not admits. I'm guessing 250-300 admits per year from now). However, with less than half the # of applicants, I think it will balance out...

Might even be easier than previous years, because some applicants aren't willing to attend U of T because of tuition costs at masters level. 

ALSO, there's a rumour that the NEW MT will take FIVE semesters, rather than four::::

http://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/education/2014/05/02/u_of_ts_teachers_college_scraps_bachelor_program.html

KIND of makes sense for it to take FIVE semesters, as it has always been longer than ANY OTHER Teacher education programs in Ontario.

High cost of living in Toronto, higher tuition, longer program... This would be a disaster for some people. U of T has been getting a lot of criticisms from current U of T B.Ed students, prospects, current teachers and other Universities for eliminating B.Ed, 

Edited by Counterpointer

I don't know about U of T specifically, I'm merely guessing.

However, look at here:::

http://www.ouac.on.ca/statistics/teacher-education-applications/tapp_march/

OUAC B.Ed applicant numbers:

2013-8,997

2014-8,994

2015-4,107

Of course, U of T is now OUT of OUAC... but still, less than half the number of applicants on OUAC this year...

I bet, if they had enough applications, they would have closed MT application already. 

This year is historic low for teacher education programs. I guess people just don't want to do 2 years. Well, less competitions for all of us.

If you want to see previous U of T ED program admission stats:

http://ro.oise.utoronto.ca/RO_Official.htm

However, like I mentioned, teacher education admission this year is WEIRD. Less applicants but less spots.

U of T had 1000 B.Ed and 200 MT previously, they are transitioning to 700 MT (This is total # of registration, Not admits. I'm guessing 250-300 admits per year from now). However, with less than half the # of applicants, I think it will balance out...

Might even be easier than previous years, because some applicants aren't willing to attend U of T because of tuition costs at masters level. 

ALSO, there's a rumour that the NEW MT will take FIVE semesters, rather than four::::

http://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/education/2014/05/02/u_of_ts_teachers_college_scraps_bachelor_program.html

KIND of makes sense for it to take FIVE semesters, as it has always been longer than ANY OTHER Teacher education programs in Ontario.

High cost of living in Toronto, higher tuition, longer program... This would be a disaster for some people. U of T has been getting a lot of criticisms from current U of T B.Ed students, prospects, current teachers and other Universities for eliminating B.Ed, 

ohhh thanks for all that information! i guess I'm lucky that my family is from the GTA so i have the option of commuting... although i would definitely rather live downtown. I thought that they didn't close the application period until the total quota number of people accepted their applications.. so any number of people can actually apply? if that makes any sense haha 

I also heard that next year it will be a 2.5 year program! which makes sense. and if all teacher education programs are 2 years starting 2015 then i would think the MT would have a higher amount of people applying because you get a teachers certificate plus a master degree rather than just a teaching certificate in the same amount of time compared to other schools teacher education programs

Out of curiosity, for those of you who have been accepted, what are your academic backgrounds? Also, when did you submit your applications? Mine was dec 10.

hey! i submitted my application around the deadline...a bit before! and i have a bachelor of commerce, but i have spent almost 3 years teaching overseas in a pubic school 

Just spoke with admissions and they said there are still a number of applications they are still deciding on for whatever reason. She said that regardless of your application date, they could still be deciding. This is torture  :(

I got my letter yesterday too! I submitted my application before the deadline.  Currently finishing off my Bachelor of Science, with various jobs and volunteer experiences working with children in roles of leadership.

The reason why there are less applicants this is year is because all teachers programs across Ontario have cut their admission spots by 50% as stated by the ministry of education this year. That is why oise applicants are low and so are the number of students being accepted. Oise has only limited spots. 

However, please don't lose hope! if you didn't get a rejection than there is still hope. 

All the best to everyone! 

Out of curiosity, for those of you who have been accepted, what are your academic backgrounds? Also, when did you submit your applications? Mine was dec 10.

I submitted my application on January 15th for Intermediate/Senior. I am finishing up my undergrad degree in Arts (History & Women's and Gender Studies) at the University of British Columbia; I've been a Residence Advisor for 4 years, I worked on a pre-college enrichment program, volunteered in school classrooms and worked at camp. 

I also don't think you should lose hope if they've stated that not all offers have gone out! There's still a chance! :) 

To those that received letters, did it say anything about the new structure of the program (ie. 5 semesters instead fo 4?) I'm curious because the website used to say September 2015-April 2017 but that's been taken down.