Umass unofficial Waitlist

bitou2010

Last week I emailed the chair of the statistics admission commitee about my statue and he basically told me this:

" We have made offers to the highest rated applicants and have set up our first, short waiting list.

Your application is below, but close to, the cutoff for that waiting list.

From past experience, I don't think that we will know for sure until

mid-April, when people who have received offers are supposed to let us know. So please be patient. We will contact you as soon as we make a decision on your application."

So its seems like I'm not on the first waiting list , but will be in the official second wailist if there is ever one..... Someone else within the department told me all the students who got accepted received funding , and they want to see how many decline the offer and how many should be accepted with funding from the wailing list...

Is there anyone in the same situtation?

Should I keep hope alive or expect a rejection?

I really thought I would had a higher ranking in their program , but i dont know...

I welcome open mimded responses

There is always a possibility that enough people will decline for you to get moved up the list and get an offer. But honestly, I wouldn't count on it. If you did get in, the earliest you'd know is late April. If you have other offers, I'd just focus on those.

I agree with MediaMom that your best choice might be to focus on the definite offers you already have, if any. Unfortunately, UMass doesn't seem to have given you your # in line--are you fourth or twelfth?

Also, I love your pun, though it may just be a typo; "wailing list" is a perfect description:

[...] they want to see how many decline the offer and how many should be accepted with funding from the wailing list...

You are absolutly right.. I'm still waiting for Iowa U , I'm going to get in into my indergraduate school ( do not want to attend)... I guess we'll ..Thanks

Hi,I have the same stitution here. I am waitlisted by Umass and get exactly the same email. I also applied Uiowa and I am waiting for their decision after they interviewed me last Wednesday.

Edited by wzsamd

@wzsamd it feels better to know somewhat who is the same boat as me. At least you got the interview already with uiowa .... Did he told you that you whre closr too?

@ECGsholard lol actually it's a typo lol .... He did not tell me which position i'm on his waiting list , but he did say that I close to the cut off for the waiting list.. HARD stuff...

Edited by bitou2010@live.com

@wzsamd it feels better to know somewhat who is the same boat as me. At least you got the interview already with uiowa .... Did he told you that you whre closr too?

@ECGsholard lol actually it's a typo lol .... He did not tell me which position i'm on his waiting list , but he did say that I close to the cut off for the waiting list.. HARD stuff...

yes,Umass said I am close to the cutoff position of the list. And I have another friend got the same email.

Edited by wzsamd