Question about Columbia Sociology

Darth.Vegan

So looking through the faculty on the Columbia Sociology Website I noticed that some of the most interesting faculty for me (research interest wise), were listed as "Barnard" faculty. Does anyone know if the Barnard College faculty take grad students?

Here is the link

http://sociology.col...artment-faculty

Edited by xdarthveganx

I think you must mean Barnard College, not Bard. Bard used to be affiliated with Columbia too, I think, but not anymore. I know Columbia students can take classes at Barnard, and vice versa, so Barnard professors should be able to take Columbia graduate students, especially since they're on the faculty and technically tenured at both institutions.

Yes, grad students at Columbia can work with faculty at Barnard. I asked the grad director because I really want to work with Elizabeth Bernstein at Barnard.

Awesome thanks. No idea whether or not applicants are automatically considered for the MA program? I emailed the department but have yet to hear back.

Looks like I may have my answer, but it is still not clear. Because the deadline for PhD apps has passed, it will only let you select the MA at this time. Hopefully the department will get back to me.

NEW APPLICATION POLICY

Columbia GSAS now permits applicants to be reviewed by a second program if they do not receive an offer of admission from their first choice program, with the following restrictions:

• This option is not available to applicants who are applying for Spring admission.
  • Applicants will be able to select a second review by a free-standing M.A. program only. Ph.D. applicants may not select review by another Ph.D. program.
  • The option of a second review must be selected at the time of submission of the application.
  • Each first choice will only offer a selected list of second choices, and some programs do not offer any second choices. Applicants may not request review by a program not listed as a second choice.
  • Columbia GSAS cannot guarantee that an application will receive a second review. Review by the second choice program is contingent upon the deadline and space availability for the second program.
  • Applicants will be able to view and opt for a second choice (if applicable) after selecting their first choice. Do not submit a second application.
  • Applicants must upload a separate Statement of Academic Purpose and submit any extra supporting materials required for the second program. Transcripts, letters and test scores should only be submitted once. However, if your second program requires a writing sample, you are required to upload a second writing sample.

Edited by xdarthveganx

Are you applying for Fall 2013? That deadline definitely hasn't passed yet. The application won't be available until Fall 2012. They just made admissions offers for Fall 2012. But if you're applying for Fall 2012, then yes, the deadline has definitely passed; it was in December.

Are you applying for Fall 2013? That deadline definitely hasn't passed yet. The application won't be available until Fall 2012. They just made admissions offers for Fall 2012. But if you're applying for Fall 2012, then yes, the deadline has definitely passed; it was in December.

I am applying for Fall 2013. What I am saying is that there is no way to answer my question using the current online application because as of now the only option for sociology is the MA program, which means the 2nd option of an MA in Sociology isn't showing on the application.

Edited by xdarthveganx

I got offered the MA program after being rejected from the PhD program. It is completely unfunded. Cute to say that I got accepted to the Ivy League but there is no way in heck I am taking it.

I am actually in the same boat as you "allhandsonthebadone." I have a suspicion that they are only interested in taking my money by offering me the MA spot (half-kidding!). Is there a specific reason why you don't think this is a good idea? I have my own set of thoughts on this but wouldn't mind another opinion...thanks!

It's a bad idea because it would probably cost $60,000(with living expenses). Would it help you with placement into a PhD program? I am sure it would, but that is a hell of a lot of money for degree that isn't worth much on its own. Plus there are no guarantees.

Edited by xdarthveganx

I am actually in the same boat as you "allhandsonthebadone." I have a suspicion that they are only interested in taking my money by offering me the MA spot (half-kidding!). Is there a specific reason why you don't think this is a good idea? I have my own set of thoughts on this but wouldn't mind another opinion...thanks!

]

If I go the MA route I want a place where I can get mentoring and faculty attention. I still feel like a raw quantity. At Columbia (and U of C) I would be second banana to the PhD students and it would be hella expensive for a second-class experience. I'd rather have something funded at a less prestigious place where I can get more nuturing.

I am still holding hope for a few PhD programs though.