What Criteria Are You Using To Make Your Decision?

I don't know if I would say that Chicago is terribly isolated from other nearby universities--being within an half hour of three R1 universities (including UChicago, Northwestern, UIC) is relatively close, although I cannot speak to the inter-campus cultural climate; the Triangle may be better in that regard of accessibility. But I feel as if more is negatively *said* about Chicago's "culture" than can actually be witnessed (the "where fun goes to die" rep); the undergraduates, at least, that I've known who went there in recent years were all brilliant, happy, and energetic individuals.

I can't speak to UIC, but I can to Northwestern. (What the hell; I've already revealed enough personal details that anyone who wanted to could figure out who I am). I'm currently an undergrad at NU, and I can say with confidence that I've met maybe 5 people during my 3 1/2 years here that have any regular interaction with anything to do with UofC. 'Within half an hour' assumes that

1) You have a car, and

2) You don't hit traffic when traveling from Hyde Park to Evanston.

Evanston is NOT Chicago. We don't have cross-registration with UofC, we really don't have many (any, in my experience) events held with UofC, and traveling to Hyde Park via public transit is an absolute nightmare. I've never been to North Carolina/the Triangle, but it sounds like they have much, much more crossover than the Chicago-area schools have. Of course, the schools actually in the city limits might have a very different relationship with one another - but if you're at UofC, don't plan on having much to do with Northwestern.

In my experience, people significantly overrate area as a criterion for choosing where to go. You're not going to have the time to constantly be painting the town red.

Then again, I'm in Lafayette, so maybe that's just sour grapes.

I agree that location/area should not by any means by a significant or meaningful criterion in the final decision. However, all other things being equal (which I glean, for some of us, is the case) location can make or break a school. If I have two offers from wildly similar schools, and I can no longer use fit, reputation, job placement, funding, etc. to decide, I come eventually to location.

That has been my strategy. It doesn't necessarily make it any easier, though B) (<--- sunglasses to hide how confused/scared I am about making my decision, and to cast the impression that I know what I'm doing)

Good question. I haven't been to Ithaca in a while... Anyone know the CIB factor in Ithaca? How about Austin while we're on it?

Spasticlitotes-- you can be head of the athletic department AND head of of whatever your subfield is as well then!

Have you picked school colors yet?

Also, I don't know if this is a factor for other people, but the grad students who will be with me in my cohort are factors for me. I had a really sweet, intelligent, supportive cohort for my MA, and they were all really chill. I think it really helped me enjoy my studies and motivate me to better myself.

There have been a few mentions throughout the thread about "gut." Totally off topic (but then again, a lot of this is) but every time I see a post about "gut," I can't help but thinking of that quote from High Fidelity: "I've been listening to my gut since I was 14 years old, and frankly speaking, I've come to the conclusion that my guts have shit for brains."

THIS IS EXCELLENT.

I wound up going with my gut but oh boy, I went through hell for the next two weeks worrying that I hadn't taken enough time to make the right decision.

Spasticlitotes--I'm thinking green and brown, to better hide the bear sports teams in the vegetation outside the English building.

All this talk of Chicago/ the Carolina triangle has made me think of a more serious decision factor for those of you in the throes of deciding! I think transportation is something to keep in mind. How will you get around, and more importantly, how much will it cost you? I know in Buffalo NY having a car is almost mandatory, unless you live very close to campus and never plan to leave the vicinity.

All this talk of Chicago/ the Carolina triangle has made me think of a more serious decision factor for those of you in the throes of deciding! I think transportation is something to keep in mind. How will you get around, and more importantly, how much will it cost you? I know in Buffalo NY having a car is almost mandatory, unless you live very close to campus and never plan to leave the vicinity.

This is something that is becoming increasingly clear to me, and it's really throwing a wrench into my decision making process.

I don't drive, I can't drive, and it is best for all humanity that I never drive again (trust me), so I am (very happily) dependent upon my bike to get me where I need to go. Apparently, Durham is not really the cyclist's haven that I want it to be, so that's a point in Chicago's favour I suppose...

I think transportation is something to keep in mind. How will you get around, and more importantly, how much will it cost you? I know in Buffalo NY having a car is almost mandatory, unless you live very close to campus and never plan to leave the vicinity.

I'm so glad that you brought this up! I'm deciding between two institutions in the same city! One which is a lovely 20 minute bike ride from my house and the other that is an agonizing hour+ on the subway/bus (the subway does not extend to the campus, and will not until 2015). I've had several people tell me that they would heavily weight the commute aspect in their decision. Initially I thought that this was a little indulgent, but reflecting on my MA experience (at the uni that required the hour+ commute), yeah, it was a pretty significant quality of life indicator and, often, an impediment to my work.

This is something that is becoming increasingly clear to me, and it's really throwing a wrench into my decision making process.

I don't drive, I can't drive, and it is best for all humanity that I never drive again (trust me), so I am (very happily) dependent upon my bike to get me where I need to go.

HA! YES! It's hard to convey to people that I am missing the major adult marker of car ownership for a litany of reasons, including the cost of maintaining a car in this city, the angst involved in parking/storage and the unavoidable fact that I'm not very good at it. I'm not anti-car... it's, well, as you say, just best for all concerned that I don't possess or employ the use of one :P

Ah yes, the fellow torontonians who can't drive! i'm thinking about bike friendliness, too. I think at both my perspective schools there are pluses and minuses. A big minus to Ithaca is all those hills, though in general it's more bike friendly (and yet, when I want to escape, I'll need a car!)

I'm so glad that you brought this up! I'm deciding between two institutions in the same city! One which is a lovely 20 minute bike ride from my house and the other that is an agonizing hour+ on the subway/bus (the subway does not extend to the campus, and will not until 2015). I've had several people tell me that they would heavily weight the commute aspect in their decision. Initially I thought that this was a little indulgent, but reflecting on my MA experience (at the uni that required the hour+ commute), yeah, it was a pretty significant quality of life indicator and, often, an impediment to my work.

HA! YES! It's hard to convey to people that I am missing the major adult marker of car ownership for a litany of reasons, including the cost of maintaining a car in this city, the angst involved in parking/storage and the unavoidable fact that I'm not very good at it. I'm not anti-car... it's, well, as you say, just best for all concerned that I don't possess or employ the use of one :P

Don't do the York commute, if you can possibly avoid it. Not to be melodramatic or anything, but it will ruin your life.

For realz.

:mellow: