What Criteria Are You Using To Make Your Decision?

I definitely learned a lot from choosing schools for undergrad. I went to a particular school because it was bilingual and I wanted to continue studying French. I did not take into consideration quality of life issues. My first night in the city, I knew I'd chosen the wrong school. I also didn't end up studying French because I couldn't understand Quebecois. It took me two years to transfer but it was the best decision I made.

Ergo: quality of life is really important. Don't go to a school because you want something very paritcular out of it--in my case, the thing I wanted I never actually did.

I definitely learned a lot from choosing schools for undergrad. I went to a particular school because it was bilingual and I wanted to continue studying French. I did not take into consideration quality of life issues. My first night in the city, I knew I'd chosen the wrong school. I also didn't end up studying French because I couldn't understand Quebecois. It took me two years to transfer but it was the best decision I made.

Ergo: quality of life is really important. Don't go to a school because you want something very paritcular out of it--in my case, the thing I wanted I never actually did.

...Tell me, was your undergrad mistake McGill? My French is poor as well and I have been anxious about that...

Nope, it was uOttawa. I don't know if McGill is officially a bilingual university, though my guess is that it's not.

I've been to Montreal many times. I have many friends that live there. You certainly don't need to know French to live and study in Montreal. It's very English. But if you want to find a job as an English speaker it's a big hard: I have a handful of very smart and capable English friends that work at a burger joint (it's the best they can do!)

...Tell me, was your undergrad mistake McGill? My French is poor as well and I have been anxious about that...

Nope, it was uOttawa. I don't know if McGill is officially a bilingual university, though my guess is that it's not.

I've been to Montreal many times. I have many friends that live there. You certainly don't need to know French to live and study in Montreal. It's very English. But if you want to find a job as an English speaker it's a bit hard: I have a handful of very smart and capable English friends that work at a burger joint (it's the best they can do!)

Edited by againstourfaces

I've been to Montreal many times. I have many friends that live there. You certainly don't need to know French to live and study in Montreal. It's very English. But if you want to find a job as an English speaker it's a bit hard: I have a handful of very smart and capable English friends that work at a burger joint (it's the best they can do!)

againstourfaces, may I PM you? I would love to pick your brain a little about Montreal, which I know nothing about

I think we could be such good friends, hedgerows! that is such a hilarious and (awesomely) superficial thing, and I'd probably base my decision on something similar. I definitely think my decision will come down to something that can't be quantified. Or as my 40 year old co-worker said "My money is on Rutgers. She doesn't know it yet, but she's going to choose it so she can make out with cute indie boys in Brooklyn."

Ha ha! I'm living that life right now (mostly just the living in Brooklyn part), so we could definitely be friends! I'm fully on-board with the whole superficial deciders thing. I think this video is appropriate:

The one thing I'm going to miss most about the city is my L train commute, or what I like to call my "daily serving of eye candy."

EDIT: NOTE: This is probably not a valid criterion for decision-making.

Edited by hedgerows

The one thing I'm going to miss most about the city is my L train commute, or what I like to call my "daily serving of eye candy."

EDIT: NOTE: This is probably not a valid criteria for decision-making.

Loves me some L train. Once saw a performance of act 3, scene 1 from Romeo and Juliet in full. When Mercutio died, they guy just lay there, completely still, on the frightening floor of the L, for the next 10 min of the scene. Shall miss this city

Loves me some L train. Once saw a performance of act 3, scene 1 from Romeo and Juliet in full. When Mercutio died, they guy just lay there, completely still, on the frightening floor of the L, for the next 10 min of the scene. Shall miss this city

I saw that on the N train; it made my day.

againstourfaces, may I PM you? I would love to pick your brain a little about Montreal, which I know nothing about

I've lived in Montreal for 7 or so years and have done two degrees here (just finishing up one in English at McGill). I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have as well!

My decision was easy, as I was only accepted to two funded PhD programs (out of five). One of them is here in Montreal. As much as it pains me to leave this incredible city, after doing two degrees here it is definitely time to move on. And the other happens to be my dream program. Whew!

i'm still trying to make a decision between yale comp lit and hopkins humanities center - i'm pretty sure at this point that i'm going to attend the former, but if anyone has any thoughts on either program, i'd love to hear. any thoughts from folks who've lived in new haven or baltimore would also be appreciated!

Somebody should organize a drinks night in New York, where we could all panic and commiserate in person. (Also, I want to see what Cquin and TripWillis actually look like.)

Somebody should organize a drinks night in New York, where we could all panic and commiserate in person. (Also, I want to see what Cquin and TripWillis actually look like.)

I vote this Friday post-CUNY night haha. And I second your latter point.

Ha ha! I'm living that life right now (mostly just the living in Brooklyn part), so we could definitely be friends! I'm fully on-board with the whole superficial deciders thing. I think this video is appropriate:

This thread has turned very encouraging for this cute indie Brooklyn boy.

Hedgerows, you need to get on the cutie indie boy make out train (assuming you are a straight female, but even so!) I intend to get on that train in Toronto this summer. I have a lot of work to do to keep me satisfied for the next seven years before I enter the academic convent!

MrBrooklyn meet Hedgerows.

Edited by againstourfaces

Gee, I need to be in NYC.

Dorinda-- sorry about that! I promise we'll take good care of him... At least Buffalo is almost part of Canada still right? Southern hockey teams make ZERO sense to me. How do you justify a winter sport in a part of the world where snow only snows once every three years? Crazy...

I'm glad I could be a part of 1. the complete derailment of this topic from a serious track and 2. helping againstourfaces choose a program based on the most frivolous factor of all time. *pats self on back*

I think the most important question is, was the Mercutio of the L-train a cute indie boy from Brooklyn? Could I have further collapsed the distance between the stage and audience by attempting to resuscitate him?

I am just kidding. Let's get back to more serious matters.

I believe the CIB factor is a perfectly valid decision-making metric. As creator of this thread, I endorse the continued discussion of the prevalence of Cute Indie Boys in various cities. *stamp of approval*

I'm afraid Duke scores rather low in that respect.....though I'm not averse to changing things up a bit and enjoying some good old fashioned Southern charm for a few years.

Good manners can be just as sexy as ironic disaffection, right?

:mellow:

:unsure:

Right?

I am just kidding. Let's get back to more serious matters.

Indeed...when I was visiting a school, I had an amazing slice of cake called "The Peanut Butter Bomb" from a place in Brooklyn. I almost accepted right then and there. I mean, cuties come and go, but cake -- now THAT'S a serious matter!

Edited by coffeeplease

After 6 years in New York, the Southern charm thing might be nice change. (Not that this has any impact on my final decision -- okay, well, a little...)

I am definitely going to miss the affected disaffection, though, when I live in Durham.