Graduation and OPT

Vijay K

Hi

My son is a senior undergraduate student on F1 visa and his I20 completion date is 1st June 2012. However, he might not complete the course by that time, he has 3 more credits to complete and he might not get to complete during this summer, this is under his deans review. The question is, can he one apply for OPT now? If he does and does not graduate by 01 June 2012, what happens then? He has to register for fall 2012 with new i20 completion dates, then what happens to the EAD received for the OPT? Pl. Advice what should be his strategy or any other options available?

Your help is much appreciated.

thanks

Vijay K

• 1 month later...

Greetings Vijay!

Your son should contact the ISSS (International Student and Scholar Services) about this particular situation. From what I know about OPT, it can begin up to 60 days following the graduation date. Personally, I'd take those sixty days so if he doesn't finish on time and still needs 3 credits, he can have summer courses. The other case is that he cannot even begin OPT until those 3 credits are complete but this depends on the disgression of the advisors at ISSS. Have your son contact them, they'l give the best advice.