Any schools with self-directed M.A. in Education?

I applied to HGSE's Special Studies program this year but probably won't be able to attend. I really liked the flexibility of the program, and I was wondering if anyone came across any other top-tier schools that had programs with similar flexibility (i.e., not having to take any required courses).

I was going to reply with Special Studies. Hmmm... Is there a reason you don't like the program? I am really not familiar with any others. Maybe you can find a really flexible program that lies within your content area of interest.

I was going to reply with Special Studies. Hmmm... Is there a reason you don't like the program? I am really not familiar with any others. Maybe you can find a really flexible program that lies within your content area of interest.

No school covers my area of interest. That is why the Special Studies program seemed like a good fit for me. I like the program, by the way. Just not enough to pay the tuition on it.

No school covers my area of interest. That is why the Special Studies program seemed like a good fit for me. I like the program, by the way. Just not enough to pay the tuition on it.

HGSE does offer need-based grants of up to $11,900 per year, so that cuts tuition to $26,600 if one qualifies.

Sorry to hear that. :( what is your area of interest? Have you thought about scholarships or fellowships?

Yes, I applied for a fully funded fellowship and was denied it. C'est la vie, my contribution to education will have to come without a master's degree.

HGSE does offer need-based grants of up to $11,900 per year, so that cuts tuition to $26,600 if one qualifies.

That's $26,600 too much ;-)

But as others have stated, many fully funded offers have not been awarded yet. I actually know a current student that is fully funded through a random fellowship that she did did not expect to get. I wouldn't lose hope just yet.

I would also add that it's unrealistic to expect full-funding offers at the master's degree level. Most master's students pay for some portion of their education. If HGSE is offering you any scholarship funding, I wouldn't necessarily pass that up. If you cannot absolutely afford HGSE, then re-apply to more schools in the next round.

I applied for the Zuckerman Fellowship. If I got it, I would have attended. I don't think HGSE will find a way to give me a fully funded fellowship - as Michigan Girl said, that doesn't happen often at the Master's level, and ed schools are not very well-endowed. But hey, if HGSE wants to surprise me with something, I'm open to it.

I'm an entrepreneur in education, I am an oddball. Ed school is not worth it for me if I have to pay tuition. Each person has their own unique indifference point, mine is just lower than most.

I'm going to go back to my MBA alma mater and see if they will allow me to do a self-directed degree under their MBA/MA program, and I'm going to check in with the University of Texas since I am already here in Austin.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice.

Edited by FreedomInEducation