More Information after the LOR

I asked people on chat yesterday about this dilemma. I have a recommender who hasn't been replying to my emails, sends in the LORs late- so you get the idea. I don't have a bad relationship with her but she just is unreachable by email. Anyway, she wrote things like "Oh, I know I told you that you didn't have a good chance at ___ (university) but they seemed very receptive to my late LOR. Your chances are better than I thought at getting in". Well, I ended up being rejected and she had been hesitant on me applying there.

I wrote to her being rejected at that program and she said "Oh, if I were you, I wouldn't want to get in anyway." She said she turned in all her LORs. I know, for a fact, that one university had asked for 2 letters and I had deleted her name from that list, because it was one less thing to bug her about. So definitely not all schools. However, that's not what worries me. Well, she informed me recently that my wish school had asked her for detailed information after she submitted her LOR online, weeks later.

On one hand, it sounds like they're interested but after asking my other fabulous LOR writer who is on the ball and has written amazing letters, she said she didn't get any "detailed information" requests.

Does this sound fishy? Or is it a good sign?

Edited by DeWinter

It's a good sign. They wouldn't ask for more information if they weren't interested. Your writer may have been approached by an acquaintance at the other school, which would explain why your other LOR writer wasn't contacted.

Don't be so dismissive of this letter writer and her opinions. Some people are not good with emails and deadlines but if they write you strong letters and endorse you when approached by your prospective programs, they are doing everything they should be, and more. Also don't dismiss her opinion that some school may not a place you want to attend. Find out your professors' opinions about the schools you are considering attending and take them seriously. They may know things you don't about internal politics, who is coming or leaving, problems with funding or current students, etc - all kinds of information that you know when you're in the inner circle that you won't find on any public source of information.