Jump to content

Should I ask for a status update?


3point14
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have recently been accepted into a program that has given me until the last week of March to let them know whether or not I'm attending. However, I am still waiting to hear back from one of my top choice schools. I had contacted the Assistant to Chair and Research and Graduate Studies (listed as the person to contact about graduate applications) in early February, and she said she hoped decisions would be made by the end of the month. I realize at this point I'm probably either rejected or at best waitlisted, but would it be too pushy to ask for an update? And if so, should I contact the same person or the POI with whom I interviewed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, you should ask for status update and explain clearly your situation. I think you have a legit reason for asking and that is not pushy at all. Good luck!

I have recently been accepted into a program that has given me until the last week of March to let them know whether or not I'm attending. However, I am still waiting to hear back from one of my top choice schools. I had contacted the Assistant to Chair and Research and Graduate Studies (listed as the person to contact about graduate applications) in early February, and she said she hoped decisions would be made by the end of the month. I realize at this point I'm probably either rejected or at best waitlisted, but would it be too pushy to ask for an update? And if so, should I contact the same person or the POI with whom I interviewed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah! I'm doing this right now.

I got an offer from a school with a March 20th deadline, but I'm not visiting my number 1 choice until March 23rd. I first emailed the first school to ask for more time (they extended the deadline to April 9).

But now I'm in the process of contacting my number 1 choice. They're flying me out for a visit, but haven't given me an answer about my acceptance. I'd like to know soon, because my significant other has an opportunity to take a job in the same town, and has to give an answer very soon.

Ah! I'm not sure what to make of the visit invitation without an offer (and it's not a visitation weekend, just me)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah! I'm doing this right now.

I got an offer from a school with a March 20th deadline, but I'm not visiting my number 1 choice until March 23rd. I first emailed the first school to ask for more time (they extended the deadline to April 9).

But now I'm in the process of contacting my number 1 choice. They're flying me out for a visit, but haven't given me an answer about my acceptance. I'd like to know soon, because my significant other has an opportunity to take a job in the same town, and has to give an answer very soon.

Ah! I'm not sure what to make of the visit invitation without an offer (and it's not a visitation weekend, just me)

That's really exciting for you. The fact that it's only you seems like it's a good sign. I am in something of a similar situation. I'm interviewing with my top choice program (which also happens to be where my significant other is in grad school) exactly a week before I have to let this other school know whether or not I'm attending. I guess that will be something to bring up in the interview. Best of luck to you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

.... I'm interviewing with my top choice program (which also happens to be where my significant other is in grad school) exactly a week before I have to let this other school know whether or not I'm attending. I guess that will be something to bring up in the interview. Best of luck to you!

And if your top choice can't give you a quick decision, I'd ask the other school for more time. The worst they can say is no... and then you are in the same spot you are now, with a week between the visit and another deadline.

I only had one experience with asking for more time, but it was very pleasant. I get the impression that if they want you, they're not going to try and force you into making a quick decision for fear you'll say no.

I got unoffical word from my potential advisor that I'm accepted....now, hopefully that means with funding too, or this is all for not...

Edited by sweet_schist
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a question similar to that of the OP, but not exactly the same.

My spring break is coming up next week, and is my only time I would be able to visit potential graduate schools. I was wondering if it would be considered to be appropiate for me to send an email asking about my status/when a decision will be made. If it makes a difference, the deadline for applications was around the first of Feburary, so it wasn't that long ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was wondering if it would be considered to be appropiate for me to send an email asking about my status/when a decision will be made.

I could be wrong here, but I don't think it would hurt to inquire about application status as well as express your interest in going to visit the school(s). I interviewed at one of my schools because I had been in e-mail contact with my POI, told him I was interested in visiting the school, and we arranged a time for me to come up. I had contacted him about a month prior and ended up actually having my interview the day applications were due.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.