Other campuses of those high magazine rating departments.

buddy16cat

I know I am probably just bitter after a rejection letter I received from UIUC and job prospect rejects but I am wondering about CS departments at university systems with a campus that has a high CS ranking. I know from what I read on a blog written by a former US News writer that the college rankings cause colleges to behave badly. I am currently working on a MS in Computer Science at University of Illinois Springfield. Even though the director of this program knows the admission director at UIUC and my GPA is 4.0 with two classes to go, which I currently have an "A" average, I was rejected to UIUC. I know that their is a lot of competition to their MS and PHD programs because they can be funded (MCS is not funded and has a better admission rate). It got me thinking though about other campuses of colleges that have a high ranking. Should you bother with those or will you always be in the shadows of another campus? This has no baring on their program, they may have a good program. You know who I am talking about, UMBC versus University of Maryland-College Park, U of Wisonsin-Stout versus Madison, University of Michigan-Dearborn versus Ann Arbor. I personally can see why some may want to attend a different campus like not having to relocate, a city location like University of Illinois-Chicago, or smaller class sizes versus a stadium sized lecture hall.

Eh, just disregard this. There is apparently too much emphasis on one magazine's rating of a college and this causes them to behave badly. I know UIUC's law school has dropped several rating spots and is now under investigation from the Bar Association for falsely inflating their admitted student's statistics. Hope it was worth it for them. I sent my transcripts to UIUC and I was told "I am eligible" to apply whatever that means. Obviously they want to reject people with high grades and waste their money to make themselves look good. And of course Roy Cambell had to mention he knew the director of the program I am encouraging me to apply. As an alumni to University of Illinois I will remember this and especially remember the bullsit batch email I got.