Appropriate to Mention Spouse's Goals?

Hi,

I've been waitilsted for a Master of Theological Studies degree at a top-tier school and I am planning on submitting an additional short 1-2 page essay not much unlike a Statement of Purpose but much more articulate and detailed.

One thing that occurred to me is to mention how my wife would benefit if I were accepted at the school (not that I'd say it that bluntly). The city where the school is located has the most jobs in her field of any city in the nation and there is a graduate program in her field nearby that is probably #1 in the country as well. She would like to attend there but the only way it would be really feasible is if I could go to school while there (can't get a job until I have a masters in my field).

With this in mind, is it appropriate to mention stuff like that, obviously without trying to guilt trip them or make them feel like they should accept you for your family's sake?

Hi,

I've been waitilsted for a Master of Theological Studies degree at a top-tier school and I am planning on submitting an additional short 1-2 page essay not much unlike a Statement of Purpose but much more articulate and detailed.

One thing that occurred to me is to mention how my wife would benefit if I were accepted at the school (not that I'd say it that bluntly). The city where the school is located has the most jobs in her field of any city in the nation and there is a graduate program in her field nearby that is probably #1 in the country as well. She would like to attend there but the only way it would be really feasible is if I could go to school while there (can't get a job until I have a masters in my field).

With this in mind, is it appropriate to mention stuff like that, obviously without trying to guilt trip them or make them feel like they should accept you for your family's sake?

Why are you waiting until now to write a "much more articulate and detailed" document "not unlike" a statement of purpose? The time to prepare and to submit this document was before the application due date, not after.

Also, the fact that you have doubts about the propriety of not "trying to guilt trip them" pretty much answers your question--if not also other questions you might not want the Powers That Be at Duke to ask.

Be patient and let the process run its course.

I agree with Sigaba here. You want your acceptance to be based on the committee finding potential in you, not because of circumstances in your life. I know the waiting process can make us crazy, but you'll feel a lot better if you don't do anything desperate. If you really want to portray that this school is your #1 choice and if given the opportunity, you would be 100% attending, you can do that through a phone call to the admin in charge of this process, checking on your status and casually mentioning that X university is your first choice. This isn't usually advisable, but if you feel like you just can't sit on your hands anymore, then this is the way you make contact - keep it brief, though, and only make this phone call once!

Otherwise, I will echo the idea to be patient. Many folks on this board, myself included, have applied multiple times because the first time around didn't work out. If that's the case for you, it doesn't mean the end of your academic life.

Why are you waiting until now to write a "much more articulate and detailed" document "not unlike" a statement of purpose? The time to prepare and to submit this document was before the application due date, not after.

Also, the fact that you have doubts about the propriety of not "trying to guilt trip them" pretty much answers your question--if not also other questions you might not want the Powers That Be at Duke to ask.

Be patient and let the process run its course.

I do agree that an additional essay will essentially overlap with a SOP in many ways, but the thing is that they have specifically asked me to write an additional statement indicating the extent of my commitment to attending the school if admitted. This is common practice for schools that allow additional materials to be sent in.

I suppose you have pointed out the obvious that I basically answered my own question by doubting whether it is good or not. I will definitely play it safe and leave them alone as much as possible while sending in a few additional materials as they request.

I agree with Sigaba here. You want your acceptance to be based on the committee finding potential in you, not because of circumstances in your life. I know the waiting process can make us crazy, but you'll feel a lot better if you don't do anything desperate. If you really want to portray that this school is your #1 choice and if given the opportunity, you would be 100% attending, you can do that through a phone call to the admin in charge of this process, checking on your status and casually mentioning that X university is your first choice. This isn't usually advisable, but if you feel like you just can't sit on your hands anymore, then this is the way you make contact - keep it brief, though, and only make this phone call once!

Otherwise, I will echo the idea to be patient. Many folks on this board, myself included, have applied multiple times because the first time around didn't work out. If that's the case for you, it doesn't mean the end of your academic life.

If it doesn't work out this time around I will definitely try again later!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Thank you for the clarification.

MOO, it reflects well on your character that you are willing to take a step back from an idea and ask "Is this the way to go?"

• 2 weeks later...