advice/criticism for route to Phd. in economics

OLStimators

Hey guys, I am a second semester junior at a top 40 private university. I am an economics major, who was late to the ballgame knowing that you needed extensive math/stats background for further graduate study in economics. My ultimate goal is to earn a Phd. in economics and work as a research economist at a federal reserve bank. My overall GPA is 3.62, and my grades in courses of interest are as follows:

Business Calc II: B

Principles of Micro: A

Principles of Macro: A

Statistical Theory: Pass

Intermediate Macro: B

Business Stats: A

Public Finance: B

Econometrics: A

Engineering Calc II: Pass

Data Analysis & Linear Models(Using R language): B

International Trade: A

International Finance: A

Introduction to Computer Programming(Using Matlab language): A

(grad level stats)Stochastic Modeling: Time Series & Markov Chains: currently enrolled

Engineering Calc III: Currently enrolled

Intermediate Micro: Math Based: currently enrolled

I plan on taking mostly math and stats courses such as linear algebra, differential equations, more stochastic modeling, ect. in my final senior year. My main interest is in macroeconomics and time series forecasting. I am wondering what graduate programs might fit my profile for me to apply to.

I should have good letters of recommendation. I am a teaching assistant for the lone undergrad econometrics course(I really excelled in this course, and is one of the reasons I like economics so much), and this summer I will be working as a research assistant for the economics department at my school. I also will be writing an honors thesis next year with the professor I will have worked with over this coming summer.

I will take the GRE this summer so I am not exactly sure what my scores will be.

I know my resume is not stunning, and I know I need more preparation in math which I am trying to fix, but I am wondering if you guys know of any good macroeconomics/time series econometrics programs that you think would be good fits for me. Again my goal is to work for the federal reserve as an economist which is not exactly the standard "academia route" most are looking for. I think that getting a job as a research assistant at at FED bank may also be a good start.

Any advice/criticism is welcome!

Cheers,

You need Real Analysis. Besides that, good foundations so far.

UCSD would be the obvious choice for Time Series Forecasting since all the big forecasting/metrics faculty are there.

Hey, thanks for the advice. One quick question I have though is that I am trying to fit some of these courses in, and I am wondering how essential mathematical analysis classes are. The way my class times work out, I would be able to take an additional class in stochastic modeling as well as differential equations if I do not take the analysis class my school offers. Otherwise I would take a class in theoretical statistics as well as the mathematical analysis class.

In other words, I am just an undergraduate and don't know if the mathematical analysis is absolutely essential for success in a Phd. program, or if I would be better served taking classes that interest me more such as stochastic modeling and differential equations. Thanks again for the advice, I really appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...

Real Analysis is going to be pretty important in the micro courses you will take at the grad level. Differential equations and the like are going to be used more in your macro courses. It's a great class to have under your belt. It adds "rigor" to calculus. As a current Ph.D. student, I can say my peers that did not take certainly struggled more than needed. It's not essential though, as your math Econ course in grad school is likely going to cover what you need to know from it. Just my $.02!