Graduation Announcements (UG? Grad?)

GreenePony

On another (unrelated) forum I remember reading that someone thought it sounds like a gift grab if you send out graduation announcements for anything but high school.

Thoughts?

This week is the "Bear Faire" for graduating ug seniors and we have the opportunity to order grad announcements and I'm on the fence about giving either set of parents the chance to order them. Yes, it's an accomplishment to graduate, and they could be used to say where DH and I are moving to next for grad school but it just seems... icky?

I sent announcements when I graduated from undergrad but not when I finished my MA. That was, in part, because I didn't participate in the graduation ceremony (much to my family's chagrin) and in part because I knew I was headed to a PhD program. In hindsight, I kinda wish I had because there were second cousins and such that never knew I finished my MA. (And also because the gift money would've helped with moving expenses.)

So after visiting the faire- I decided I wasn't shelling out 250 for announcements- I think we spent that on wedding invitations! If my parents want to, I guess I'll send them a link to jostens and tell they can either buy what they want or make their own. Pretty paper is only worth so much (and I think they still have some of that left from the wedding).

Ah, announcements. If you really want them, do yourself a favor and DON'T get the ones being shilled on campus. They're generally crappy and overpriced. Find yourself a local stationery store and order something there. They may not "match" the "official" school colors and whathaveyou, but they'll almost certainly be less expensive. And less tacky. And potentially more fun.

But then, I spent a few years working in a stationery store and have retained the paper-snobbery disipite not working there in ... almost 6 years? Something like that.

Send them! I remember getting announcements for my aunt getting her Phd when I was in high school. I think it was great for me at that age to see that grad school isn't some way out there kind of thing