CGU (your thoughts please)

ol'spice

I feel I'm one of a kind that applied to this school (Claremont Graduate Univ.). I did so because one of my teachers recommended it, I realized it's in striking distance of L.A. gallery scene, and I liked what I learned about their art dept. faculty when I researched it... It's not on the top of the list of the rankings, but it looks like a good place to do an MFA in painting. Does anybody else in this forum know anything about the school (other than the fact that's really expensive?).

Hello, yes, I go to CGU. Amazing, huge, well lit studios, probably 12x16 feet with 14 ft ceilings, bigger and better than the studios at SAIC. Lots of 1on 1 attention from faculty, access to LA galleries, this means the monthly visiting artists are represented by a major LA galleries and are available to have a studio visit with you. Gallery owners and curators do studio visits sometimes and if you work hard and make good work, there is a very real possibility of being represented in a legitimate LA gallery after you graduate. There is no reason to go to grad school unless it is near LA or New York! This is where you network and meet people, you will not have an art career without these types of connections. The down side is the cost, it is about as expensive as every other private grad program, there is no undergrad here, so you cannot get paid for teaching, or gain legitimate teaching experience at CGU. The teaching assistantships they offer are more like classroom observations. The solution to the cost is the government's Income Based Repayment plan which lets you repay your loan based on your income, not how much you owe. Another down side is it is not merit based, everyone is treated exactly the same, you draw a number out of a hat for everything from what studio you choose, to scheduling classes, to scheduling your thesis exhibition. There is some fellowship money but it is evenly distributed among all students.

Hello, yes, I go to CGU. Amazing, huge, well lit studios, probably 12x16 feet with 14 ft ceilings, bigger and better than the studios at SAIC. Lots of 1on 1 attention from faculty, access to LA galleries, this means the monthly visiting artists are represented by a major LA galleries and are available to have a studio visit with you. Gallery owners and curators do studio visits sometimes and if you work hard and make good work, there is a very real possibility of being represented in a legitimate LA gallery after you graduate. There is no reason to go to grad school unless it is near LA or New York! This is where you network and meet people, you will not have an art career without these types of connections. The down side is the cost, it is about as expensive as every other private grad program, there is no undergrad here, so you cannot get paid for teaching, or gain legitimate teaching experience at CGU. The teaching assistantships they offer are more like classroom observations. The solution to the cost is the government's Income Based Repayment plan which lets you repay your loan based on your income, not how much you owe. Another down side is it is not merit based, everyone is treated exactly the same, you draw a number out of a hat for everything from what studio you choose, to scheduling classes, to scheduling your thesis exhibition. There is some fellowship money but it is evenly distributed among all students.

Thanks so much for your insight. I'm also planning on going to the upcoming open house event on the 27th.

I was impressed with the faculty there for a school that seems sort of not as much on peoples' radars...

And you've confirmed one of my important reasons for applying there (the L.A. gallery scene) and on top of all that, if I accept their offer, it will be the least cultural shock for me (I live in Southern California)...

Thanks so much for your insight. I'm also planning on going to the upcoming open house event on the 27th.

I was impressed with the faculty there for a school that seems sort of not as much on peoples' radars...

And you've confirmed one of my important reasons for applying there (the L.A. gallery scene) and on top of all that, if I accept their offer, it will be the least cultural shock for me (I live in Southern California)...

I will be at the open house, my MFA opening reception is that night, I'll see you there.