A 3.5 GPA

child of 2

I will likely end up with a 3.5-3.55 GPA by the time I graduate/apply for grad school. This seems to be a very mediocre GPA, and there are definitely things I could have done differently. What caliber of schools should I apply to?

It depends on the competitiveness of the schools you are applying to. A 3.5 isn't mediocre but it's also not stellar. I'd say it wouldn't hurt your application but it alone wouldn't add to it. If other parts of your applications have strengths (GRE scores, letter of recs, publications) then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

PS: A 3.5 in chemical engineering is a lot better than a 3.5 in english. I think you will do just fine to apply to whichever schools you want to.

Edited by NeuroGal

I had a 3.4 GPA and I'm in a top 20 program in my field...

Your exact cumulative GPA is of secondary importance to other things - your major GPA, how you did in specific foundational courses in your field, your research experiences, and your letters of recommendation. If you have strong letters from professors doing continuous research in your field and have strong a research background, and you have a compelling SoP that outlines why you are a perfect fit for the department - a 3.5 GPA indicates success in your previous curriculum and so those things will become more important and will weigh in your favor.

I will likely end up with a 3.5-3.55 GPA by the time I graduate/apply for grad school. This seems to be a very mediocre GPA, and there are definitely things I could have done differently. What caliber of schools should I apply to?

It depends on literally everything else .. job experience, languages, what school are you at now? Are you a minority? publications? etc. etc.

Also I had a much lower GPA and I'm in a top 10 program for my field.