Hunter MA vs. Courtauld MA

zeilia

I'm trying to decide between Hunter College and Courtauld for an MA in Art History, my area of interest in Modern/Contemporary. There are two very different programs, so I thought I would ask for some feedback from the forum.

Some factors that are influencing my decision:

1) Money: Hunter will end up being considerably more because it is a 2 year program, while Courtauld is just one year.

2) Personal factors: My undergrad degree is in English lit., however, after graduation, I took several courses in Art History at my local community college and state university to gain background knowledge. So, I am using the MA to change fields and to get my feet wet in grad school before I decide whether I want to go on to the PhD. The program at Courtauld is very interdisciplinary so that appeals to me because of my background. It is also focused more on the thesis and is obviously very condensed because it is only one year. However, I am wondering if I should go for a more traditional MA, like Hunter, with a lot of course-work and qualifying exams to bolster my background in Art History.

3) Reputation: Which school is better regarded? This one is a real question mark for me. One of my professors who studied at Courtauld is convinced of its superiority but I am not sure how to judge this. I would like to be able to apply to jobs and/or PhD programs in the U.S., particularly the West Coast after graduation.

I would be so grateful for any advice, ideas or impressions about either of these two options!

I'm not mod/con, so my opinion probably isn't the best to use, but I find Courtauld to be the more prestigious program for a MA.

Thanks for your reply fullofpink! This is what I have been hearing. I actually searched the top 40 US Art History department websites to see where PhD students and professors got their MAs (if, of course, they got separate MAs). Courtauld shows up about twenty times, Hunter only twice. However, going by this slice of data, it does seem like Courtauld is strongest in Byzantine, Medieval and maybe 19th century.

edited: because I under-reported Courtauld in my unscientific survey data

Edited by zeilia

I'm 19th century, so that's how I know of their reputation. Lol. However, being in NY for a MA will not hurt your mod/con opportunities - for some reason I keep thinking that mod/con opps are harder in the UK - however, UK is just harder anyways as an international.

I'm 19th century, so that's how I know of their reputation. Lol. However, being in NY for a MA will not hurt your mod/con opportunities - for some reason I keep thinking that mod/con opps are harder in the UK - however, UK is just harder anyways as an international.

That is a good point about NYC being a great place for Modern/Contemporary. It's my impression that a lot of Hunter students are already working in the NYC art world full-time and go to school part time, or vice versa. While, at Courtauld it would be harder to get museum/art world experience being an international student, plus doing a very intense program in a very short time. Most likely I would just concentrate on school and then come back to the states right after to apply to PhD programs or jobs.

Guest Amon-Ra

I know a few people who have attended the Courtauld, and they make it sound like a great school. It is a quick program, but it seems like they're good at telling students about work and internship opportunities in the area. Certainly London is one of the great centers, right now, of modern and contemporary art. By attending, you will also be joining the "Courtauld mafia," which is one of the most influential professional networks in the art world.

I would emphasize, though, that unless you already have a strong sense of direction the shortness of the program might make it difficult to apply for PhD programs for the coming year, and, since the British system involves tutoring rather than large classes, you will probably only be gaining one or maybe two new references who can write about your capacity for graduate research. In addition, you should remember, in considering the results of your informal study, that the Courtauld graduates several times more MA students than Hunter, and is therefore likely to be more strongly represented in college faculties. Of greater interest may be the number of Courtauld alumni who are currently at the helm of several major museums, including the Metropolitan Museum, the British Museum, and the National Gallery, London. It may be important for you to consider whether you ultimately would like to work in academia or in the art world.

Above all, you should consider the particular scholars who would teach you at either school. I have heard the Courtauld faculty is lovely, and I certainly admire the scholarship they've produced in my subfield. I really don't know anything about the Modern and Contemporary faculty at Hunter, but I know they have some VERY good professors in other subfields, and I think it is likely you would be able to study with faculty from other CUNY colleges. The system is very large, and you might have access to a much broader spectrum of perspectives. Ultimately, go to the school where you would be likely to learn the most!

Edited by Faustina

Faustina - thanks for your response! It really helps to get some more perspectives on this, especially since you know people who have graduated from the Courtauld.

I would emphasize, though, that unless you already have a strong sense of direction the shortness of the program might make it difficult to apply for PhD programs for the coming year, and, since the British system involves tutoring rather than large classes, you will probably only be gaining one or maybe two new references who can write about your capacity for graduate research.

If I choose to go to the Courtauld and if I continue on to the PhD, I think I would take a year off after the MA. I envision working on applications, working on my German, going to conferences and maybe even presenting during the gap year. But it is very concerning that the UK tutoring system is a possible impediment to finding the required number of letter writers. Did any of the people you know run into this problem? Did they have any creative solutions? I have heard of people at UChicago's one year MAPH program running into similar problems - not having enough time to form strong relationships with profs and advisors, etc.

In addition, you should remember, in considering the results of your informal study, that the Courtauld graduates several times more MA students than Hunter, and is therefore likely to be more strongly represented in college faculties.

Ah, statistics fail :rolleyes: I actually have no idea what size class Hunter admits, I just assumed it was fairly large because Hunter was part of CUNY.

I really don't know anything about the Modern and Contemporary faculty at Hunter, but I know they have some VERY good professors in other subfields, and I think it is likely you would be able to study with faculty from other CUNY colleges. The system is very large, and you might have access to a much broader spectrum of perspectives. Ultimately, go to the school where you would be likely to learn the most!

It didn't even occur to me that I might be able to take classes at other CUNY colleges. It would be awesome to take classes at the graduate center and perhaps make contacts with future POIs for a PhD application.

At this point, I am still very much on the fence. I lean towards the Courtauld mostly because of money and reputation but if the course length and tutoring system is a major roadblock to future PhD admission, then I may have to rethink this...

Edited by zeilia

• 4 years later...