NDSEG 2012 - Fundopolotoplotopus

andrealphus

Can someone who previously couldn't log in to https://ndseg.asee.org/award try logging in now?

I didn't get an email this weekend and couldn't log in, but now (as of about noon central time) I can and see an award letter.

I can log in and see an award letter as well. I didn't check this weekend so I don't know if that's changed, but the letter is dated April 16th. I haven't gotten an email yet though, so I have no idea whether this means I'm off the waitlist or still on it...

Are you guys able to accept the award? If so, must be legit and congrats!

I can access the PDF of the award package now.*

For the verification of citizenship, they are asking for a notarized copy of one of the following: a birth certificate, passport, or a couple of other options. Anybody have any idea how to do this? I've never gone to a notary before and also, I thought that US/state-issued records have to be certified by a government office, not by a notary public.

*Edit: After accepting. The link used to be dead.

Edited by dragonite

I can access the PDF of the award package now.*

For the verification of citizenship, they are asking for a notarized copy of one of the following: a birth certificate, passport, or a couple of other options. Anybody have any idea how to do this? I've never gone to a notary before and also, I thought that US/state-issued records have to be certified by a government office, not by a notary public.

*Edit: After accepting. The link used to be dead.

It sounds like they just want you to copy your ID then have it notarized to prove that that is your unaltered ID. Notaries are usually found at public buildings. Your college more than likely has one--check its website.

I also just got my email. I'm in Civil engineering by the way. Wonder if we were at the top of the wait list or if whole categories of people didn't get done until today.

I didn't realize what was going on until you have posted this, but this all makes sense. I have been monitoring this forum for quite some time with many of you thinking the same thing. I have worked for the DoD and actually spoke to a number of people about the NDSEG program and how it works (i.e. the evaluation process), this might make a little more sense now.

Each of the branchs, Army, Navy, Air Force have an equal number of fellowship they give out, I believe it was 63 per branch in the past. After the initial browse through for elibility by ASEE, each of the branches receive all the applications, each of the branches ARO, AFOSR, and NRO evaluate the applications and make a list of people 1-X where x is the number of people they choose to rank. At the completion of this, a conference call takes place between representatives from ARO, AFOSR, and NRO to create a "Master List" of applicants ranking them according to the list they agreed upon.

Once this list is made, it is given to ASEE and they handle it from there. So this idea of doing it by discipline is not really true, that has already been taken care of at this point most likely. This does not mean that anyone is out of the running though. Should any of the applicants choose not to accept, the first person from the waitinglist will be choosen, and the process continues until funds run out.

I believe that that point, we will be notified of "status of our application" (i.e all the funds have dried up)

I'm guessing, if the above information is true, that we must have been at the top of the waiting list. Since many people who get NDSEG also get NSF, maybe there were a fair number of declines from those who already decided to accept NSF over NDSEG??

This just goes to show that it's really not over until they send out the rejection notices...hang in there, everyone else who is still waiting - there still may be some hope left :)

I just want to know! I have a feeling biosciences is a done deal though - someone a few pages back said they were notified on Thursday, so I bet anyone who was going to turn it down would of done so by now.

I just want to know! I have a feeling biosciences is a done deal though - someone a few pages back said they were notified on Thursday, so I bet anyone who was going to turn it down would of done so by now.

Not necessarily - I'm Biosciences, and I just got an award today...it's not over yet.

The last date to decline/accept an award is Apr. 26 so we may not have an absolute answer until then.

In any case, let's say that maybe 10 more decline their awards whereas there are ~2500 remainining uninformed applicants. Given those stats (and my suspicions about how far down the waitlist my own application probably stands), I feel comfortable putting this thing to rest and moving on with my "No Fellowships Plan B." If I happen to hear anything positive about getting off the NSF HM waitlist or NDSEG mega-waitlist I will just consider it a very unexpected surprise.

Best wishes to everyone on this forum. I think that everyone who's pursuing a PhD in the sciences and has their act together enough to apply for this fellowship should be commended for that alone!

Does anyone know whether the NDSEG always replaces any funding like TAships at the school (like the NSF does), or can it stack on top of your program's funding?

You need to ask your program director about their external fellowship policies. It is unlikely that they will stack completely, but often the department will give you a nice bonus as an incentive to apply for external funding. If you feel that TAing would be beneficial for you e.g. you hope to become a professor or something, you need to contact the NDSEG and find out what their policy is for taking on obligations outside of coursework/research. They are funding you partly to make sure all your time goes towards these things, so in general they will not allow other work obligations.

Does anyone know whether the NDSEG always replaces any funding like TAships at the school (like the NSF does), or can it stack on top of your program's funding?

According to NDSEG award package, you can work to get extra money but not to exceed $5000 a year while you're on fellowship. Stacking two major fellowships or two major sources of income is a NO NO. Hope this helps.

Edited by mrcrzister

The only external funding I know you can stack on are things like GI Bill, disability pay, federal compensation of other types....etc. That's a bit different than taking two fellowships though.

I couldn't find a list of 2011 awardees. Is there anyway you can find a list of NDSEG awardees + where they come from? I googled but hopeless.... The list on NDSEG website did not have all the information i am curious about.

Depends on the school. At Harvard, if you TA and get external funding, you can make more than $60,000.

I haven't gotten anything. I think people probably aren't in a terrible hurry to reject or accept. I feel like they could make a reasonable assessment though...considering how many applicants there are and how many rejections they historically have received, so as to reject a large portion of us by now.