What apparel should I buy?

anonymous12345

I'd buy and wear clothes in line with the first impression I'd hope to make. For me, the options would be either a polo-style shirt or button front shirt with a collar over a white t-shirt a nice pair of pants, a very good pair of shoes with socks and belt to match the shoes. I'd wear a light weight jacket that was windproof (if not also waterproof) and that had armpit zippers for extra ventilation.

I'd have close at hand a pen and something to scribble notes. My cellular phone would either be turned entirely off or left in the car. I'd have at least forty bucks in cash, with at least half of it in ones and fives. I'd have some gum.

Intellectually, I'd have the gears throttled up to full, just in case a professor happened to be looking for a chew toy. I'd keep in mind that the process of being evaluated probably did not end when I was offered admission. ;)

I think the OP is asking about souvenir type clothing from the campus bookstore, and not what to wear for the actual visit haha If this is the case, I recommend a t-shirt! Unless you're a hat person, then a ballcap works well too. Sweatshirts are so bulky, that if you have one you don't really need to take up space with a second, but that's simply my way of thinking

I think the OP is asking about souvenir type clothing from the campus bookstore, and not what to wear for the actual visit haha If this is the case, I recommend a t-shirt! Unless you're a hat person, then a ballcap works well too. Sweatshirts are so bulky, that if you have one you don't really need to take up space with a second, but that's simply my way of thinking

In that case...

I recommend a reverse-weave sweatshirt by Champion, in grey, with the school's emblem. (Do keep in mind that this piece will shrink down at least one full size.)

In my experience, this specific type of sweatshirt--with or without an emblem--can be a very versatile item in one's wardrobe.

My $0.02.

I third (fourth?) the polo idea with the school seal/logo. If a company you work for in the future allows casual-whatever polos are a safe bet and can still look professional. Also, when you go to conferences you can have a presentable way of affiliating yourself with your program without looking too casual or flashing a CV around.

Edited by GreenePony

Before buying anything at a school's student store, I recommend that entering graduate students consult with their department's administrative staff to see if they receive a discount on purchases for working as a T.A. (Some staff members might green light the discount regardless.)