Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

Saying that, it's always best not to take two months. This is why their needs to be some kind of rule that all initial acceptances need to be out by a certain date, and decisions from these by another date (so that there's plenty of time to deal with wait-lists). Unless you are waiting on a school that you REALLY want to go to, there's no reason to keep the other schools waiting until the final deadline.

Ategenos: what do you think is an appropriate period of time to wait?  I would like to visit all of my schools first, which will probably take until the end of March.  But I honestly just don't know what I would decide...

This is just my opinion, but I'd say end of march at the latest (and preferably a little before). That at least gives 'em a bit of time to notify others, and let them make their decision. This, of course, all goes wrong when people are accepted at some programs and wait-listed for their top choice... but as a general guide, I think it works.

That makes sense.  I have not (yet?) been wait listed anywhere and do not really envy those who are in that position.  It's nerve-racking enough to have no definitive decision from some places; it must be even more difficult for the "definitive decision" to be, well, not definitive. 

@Gwendolyn:

FWIW, an undergrad professor whose opinion I would trust over anything has very pointed opinions on 3 out of 4 cities at which you've been accepted.

Obviously, different strokes apply to different folks, and I definitely don't want to force my opinion on your situation which I know next to nothing about; however, my professor did his post-graduate study in Madison, and he still talks about it as one of the greatest times of his entire life despite having little money. He has also stated that he has several friends and peers that studied at IU. They rave about how great of a city Bloomington is. I've heard the exact same from my peers.

He also had a very negative opinion of Columbus. He had a few horror stories of the city itself, not necessarily the program. 

If you're other school is Miami, then I'm afraid I have no acumen to attest to it, and this entire mini-dissertation has been moot. Nonetheless, what are we doing if not coming and going and talking of Michelangelo and such?

Edited by champagne

This is just my opinion, but I'd say end of march at the latest (and preferably a little before). That at least gives 'em a bit of time to notify others, and let them make their decision. This, of course, all goes wrong when people are accepted at some programs and wait-listed for their top choice... but as a general guide, I think it works.

I know it's stressful for people on wait lists, but at least one of my programs doesn't have it's visiting weekend until early April. I most likely will not be deciding until after then. 

Yeah, everyone. Please, please do not rush decisions out of concerns for other people. That's foolish. Those of us on wait lists can handle it. If I have to make a snap decision on April 15, well, at least I have a decision.

Seriously, if you have schools you're honestly debating between -- check them out in detail, visit, etc.

You should turn down the offers lower on your list though, I think.

(it helps the schools try to get the best candidates they can too)

Edited by bluecheese

Thanks a bunch.  I decided to just go ahead and email Dr. Rice.  He was very on top of things when I emailed him a question during application season, so hopefully he's able to give me some kind of timetable.

I'm rejected from South Carolina.  Apparently, official notifications will only go out "some months" from now from the Graduate School; I don't know if this means the English Department is sending out advance notification of rejections or not.

O.k. Rutgers, I see how it is. You don't want me. I'm alright*.

*alright- (adj) to curl up in bed and sob uncontrollably

They don't even sort of want me/us. It's fine, I didn't even sort of want them either....

(This is a lie.)

(This is a lie.)

I know. I'm not fooling anyone. I'm really happy about the places I've been accepted to so far, but Rutgers was kind of my number one choice. I'm going to let myself be sad until the end of the day and then I'm moving on. No time to mourn.

I'm rejected from South Carolina.  Apparently, official notifications will only go out "some months" from now from the Graduate School; I don't know if this means the English Department is sending out advance notification of rejections or not.

Ahhhhh! "Some months"? Lame. I think I'm going to give in and email Dr. Rice as well.

So a few people posted acceptances or wait-lists from WashU during the last week of January; has anyone else heard since then? Are they just sitting on a big pile of rejections?

I know. I'm not fooling anyone. I'm really happy about the places I've been accepted to so far, but Rutgers was kind of my number one choice. I'm going to let myself be sad until the end of the day and then I'm moving on. No time to mourn.

I'm pretty disappointed to not even get a wait list but at least I'm that much closer to being done this year.

Can I just say again, officially, Buffalo, WTF?

I know people have brought this up several times, but my status now reads "Under committee review--2/20/13." I've been assuming a rejection for like 3 weeks, but their cryptic website shenanigans are confusing as hell.

Has anyone actually contacted them to see what's going on? By the number of admits on the website, I wouldn't think they have a wait-list too. But it looks like last year they had mailed out their official rejections by now...

I know people have brought this up several times, but my status now reads "Under committee review--2/20/13." I've been assuming a rejection for like 3 weeks, but their cryptic website shenanigans are confusing as hell.

Has anyone actually contacted them to see what's going on? By the number of admits on the website, I wouldn't think they have a wait-list too. But it looks like last year they had mailed out their official rejections by now...

Huh. Mine does NOT say that. Seriously, wtf Buffalo.

Eta I'm thinking maybe someone else here knows more?

Edited by girl who wears glasses

I just got my rejection from them in the mail. They do seem to have a lot of acceptances this year, so maybe they didn't do a waitlist; I got my waitlist notification from them around this time last year and it was through email. I'm just surprised I didn't at least get an offer for their unfunded MA program. I don't even know what to make of it.

It doesn't seem that there have been any Buffalo waitlists or MA offers, so I imagine they are still going though the process of making decisions about applications in those regards. My status finally updated this week. It now says "Yes, on 02/20/2013" under "Application Reviewed" and "Accept/Admit - 02/20/2013" under "Application Status." I think that these things have more to do with the Graduate College than the English department, since 2/20 is also the day I got an official e-mail from the Graduate College.

Hey asleepawake, did you see the dates? Are you planning on visiting?

Yeah, I got the information about visiting but I haven't decided yet if I will be able to make it. My final, signed draft of my thesis is due around that time, so I might not be able to go. It also doesn't help that the flights I'm looking at now are $600+. I'm thinking about visiting earlier or being forced to make a decision sans visit. Are you planning to go?

Edited by asleepawake

Does anyone know the date(s) of UCLA's visiting weekend? Trying to get sense of when we might see some movement on the waitlist.

March 11-13

Fwiw, unless I just completely fall in love with the location (a possibility) enough to over look faculty fit, it's likely that I won't accept.

Yeah, I got the information about visiting but I haven't decided yet if I will be able to make it. My final, signed draft of my thesis is due around that time, so I might not be able to go. It also doesn't help that the flights I'm looking at now are $600+. I'm thinking about visiting earlier or being forced to make a decision sans visit. Are you planning to go?

I told them I am going. I feel a little nervous, just because, well, what? Huh?