Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

I noticed there was a fall 2013 forum alive and kicking in the History section and a pang of jealousy came over me. Is anyone else out there gearing up for the Fall 2013 admissions cycle? I am finishing up my masters degree this fall and seem to be at a loss on the best possible approach. When are we supposed to contact POIs? Are we required to contact POIs? I feel like I'm trying to figure out how to join a secret society and the stress is already getting to me!! :wacko: I'm slightly OCD, so I have written (and ripped up) far too many "academic game plans" and I think an electronic forum might be a better solution. At the very least, it will help me save the trees. I would love to chat with anyone prepping for the upcoming application cycle, as well as past applicants!!!

I'm applying for Fall 2013! I'm scared...witless, we'll go with witless. :wacko: Something I'm having the hardest time with right now is finding time in my day to study for the GRE. Whenever I have free time and feel like studying a little more (after I'm finished with homework/study for my classes) I just can't seem to justify studying for the GRE over studying for the classes I'm in right now...

One piece of advice I would give is to look closely at the faculty with whom you'd like to work at the schools to which you'll be applying, and see if you can tailor your interests a bit to the work being done there. It will really give you a leg up if you can match your writing sample with your personal statement with some of your relevant experience (coursework, conferences, etc.) to some of the interests in the faculty.

I would also heavily emphasize the importance of writing samples and personal statements; start those things as soon as possible (I'm not kidding; draft them now and revise them for the next several months, then redraft them and re-revise them, because that will set you apart). I had okay (not stellar) GREs, a good GPA from a completely unknown liberal arts college, good letters of recommendation from professors who are entirely unknown (probably less unknown than that), but I spent a ton of time on my writing sample and personal statement. Right now, I am deciding between offers, which is an ideal spot to be in.

This won't guarantee success, but it is one thing you have a lot of control over, and it can literally get you in.

Remember that GREs can keep you out, but they can't get you in (an in all honesty, they have to be really bad to keep you out).

Hope this helps B) PM if you have questions/concerns/want to ramble about stress. I didn't have this forum through my application process, and I wish I had. It would have been a great help. Best of luck to those applying!

As far as the GRE is concerned, I'd worry more about your grades than your GRE scores. I put off the GRE until I finished my classes, which meant I was able to get good grades, and then studied for the GRE afterwards. To be honest, I only spent three weeks studying for the GRE because I'm terrified of standardized tests and kept psyching myself out. Once I had committed a small and manageable amount of time to studying, I was able to really knuckle down and focus on the strategy of the exam itself. In the end I did pretty well (both verbal and AW above the 85 percentile). Granted, I didn't get in to any PhD programs this time around, but I think that was more a problem with my writing sample and my failure to stick to the three Fs in my SOP. I have at least gotten into all my MAs so far.

I'm applying for Fall 2013! I'm scared...witless, we'll go with witless. :wacko: Something I'm having the hardest time with right now is finding time in my day to study for the GRE. Whenever I have free time and feel like studying a little more (after I'm finished with homework/study for my classes) I just can't seem to justify studying for the GRE over studying for the classes I'm in right now...

I haven't taken the GRE yet either! Aargh!! I have a seven week break between the spring and summer semesters, so I plan on taking a GRE crash/prep course and the exam at that time. Fingers crossed!!

I'm planning on applying this year, finally. I graduated in 2009. I "took a year off," and it is hard to find the "right" time to get back into academics when you've already put yourself outside!

I'm extremely anxious about my grades and record, and concerned about my LoRs. I transferred to my degree school, and while I was very focused and took quite a few classes with two particular professors, and know I made a fantastic impression on a third, one of the two professors I worked with doesn't like me very much!

The combination of transferring, plus a lame GPA (3.5ish), plus the concern about the LoR? Well, you can see why it's taken me 3 years to get around to applying.

Still waffling on how I'm going to approach applications -- MA versus MA/PhD, US vs. international, English vs. Medieval Studies. I think I'm actually using GRE study as an excuse not to face all those heady problems right away. :wacko:

Something that I've been a bit confused about is, can you register to take the GRE any month that you want? The official GRE website is so confusing, I really don't understand how the process works at all. :unsure: But if I could start studying for the GRE when I finish up this semester and take it in like July or August that would be fantastic, because I'll probably have enough time to study and I'll also get the scores back in time for my app process. I'd prefer to have time to take it twice, but that just isn't going to happen haha. :rolleyes:

I took the GRE and, as always with my standardized tests, I didn't do so hot. I had an 86th percentile verbal. I can't remember my exact percentile on the literature subject test, but it wasn't great.

I still got into several great Ph.D. programs with funding. I just accepted an offer at Columbia. All the professors I've spoken with (at Brown, Columbia, Brandeis, and Oxford) raved about my writing sample and statement of purpose. Those two documents tell them whether you're a good fit and whether you can write and research properly. They are of paramount importance, so my advice would be to focus on those.

And I mean REALLY focus on them. I went through 24 drafts of my statement of purpose. I'm sure other people have gone through even more than that.

And re-read your writing sample, edit it over the summer, have other folks take a look at it, make sure the research that underpins it is fresh and makes a clear point.

And best of luck!

Something that I've been a bit confused about is, can you register to take the GRE any month that you want? The official GRE website is so confusing, I really don't understand how the process works at all. :unsure: But if I could start studying for the GRE when I finish up this semester and take it in like July or August that would be fantastic, because I'll probably have enough time to study and I'll also get the scores back in time for my app process. I'd prefer to have time to take it twice, but that just isn't going to happen haha. :rolleyes:

From what I understand the General exam (Computer-based) can be taken pretty much any time, whereas the Subject/Literature exam is only offered on specific dates/times. Also, I think if you're taking the Paper-based General exam, that is also only administered on specific dates/times. I definitely want to focus only on the General exam and not class and the General Exam. It's going to be hard enough taking the Subject exam whilst completing/procrastinating on applications and writing my Master's thesis :unsure:

Still waffling on how I'm going to approach applications -- MA versus MA/PhD, US vs. international, English vs. Medieval Studies.

I am in the same position. Medieval Studies :)

Something that I've been a bit confused about is, can you register to take the GRE any month that you want?

I have to take the GRE too. For the regular GRE I think you can take it any month, but for the subject test you can only take it in April, October, or November (someone correct me if I am wrong).

I think all you awesome people here at TGC have saved my life, yet again. I'm going to have so much time over the summer to study for the GRE, I'm gonna kick its ass. I was seriously considering putting off grad school apps for a year for the sole reason of how daunting it would be to study for the GRE right now.

I should really get started on that SoP though. :blink:

So, uhhh... why is everyone disregarding the advice from this year's applicants who said the GRE is the least of our concerns? According to every accepted applicant on this forum (as well as every admission committee member I've ever encountered), we'll be evaluated on our writing sample, statement of purpose, letters, grades, and scores -- in that order. Focus on your writing, friends -- we have a long year ahead! The GRE is probably the least of all our problems. Stately? Grimwig? Others?

I'd say the "hierarchy" provided by Jeremiah is probably right. It is possible, however, that certain schools' Graduate Schools may require X GRE score. That said, the department can always petition. I would be more concerned with hitting X% verbal than Y% subject, based on zero expertise.

If we must discuss GRE: as far as the subject exam goes, it's definitely possible to cram for that exam. I went from "oh I guess I need to sign up for that huh, sure hope there are dates available in time for my application deadlines" (not that I knew when those were either) to 93% in like 1.5 months....without killing myself studying.

I am also proof that 98% verbal/93% subj won't get you in alone. It's all about the SOP and sample. It's probably worth writing the SOP now, even if you save it as shitsop.doc. You'll eventually change the name and revise it more than a few times. Or you won't, if you're me last year :P

The GRE will need to be taken for 90% of the schools where I'm planning to apply. It's the most direct path in the early stages of planning my application season: I know I need to take it, I know I need to do a lot of other work but I'm not sure what that is yet, so I may as well get it done early -- study for it now -- and get it out of the way.

As inconsequential as it is compared to the SoP and writing sample, it IS still a part of a complete package for many programs. So, can't quite forget it! Or afford to be dismissive of it.

I'm with saecla vincere on this one. Even if GRE scores and grades are at the bottom of the hierarchy, they still must be submitted. I'm still going to prepare in my down time. It's probably one of the easier components of the application (IMO) to prepare for and get out of the way early. I plan on working on my writing sample and SOP over the summer with one of my professors, so I think I'll be in good shape in that regard. I tend to perform well on standardized tests, but I'm still stressed by the amount of things (collectively) that I must prepare for the upcoming application cycle. I'm least stressed about the subject test since most schools seem to view it as inconsequential. I'm most concerned about LORs (primarily because I hate having to ask lol) and the fact that I haven't published anything. Ugghh, sometimes I feel like such a slacker!!! :(

Just make sure not to use time you could be spending on your SOP/writing sample studying for the GRE. Give it a month of your time and move on.

I am 100% sure the quality of my SOP and WS are the reason I was rejected from my PhD apps, whereas my GRE scores weren't even required for every school.

Edited by antecedant

I don't think anyone is intending to spend months on end preparing for either of the GRE exams. Honestly, I don't have the luxury to spend that kind of time studying for either of the GRE exams. I bought four prep books for the GRE General and Subject exam, and they sat on my coffee table so long that ETS changed the format. :lol:

I think (and I may be speaking out of turn) most of us are stressed over finding time to complete all of the things necessary for the applications while completing our respective degree plans. I'm trying to get as much out of the way before the application cycle begins this fall. I am not looking forward to writing my Masters thesis during the application cycle. I'm definitely stressing because I feel like I have a lot on my plate and all of it is significant. If only I could freeze time like Evie in Out of this World!!

I'm a GRE skeptic, but a) while they can't get you in anywhere, they can keep you out of some places, and B) this is a process where hundreds and hundreds of applicants try to get very few spots at any given department. (Like, say, six.) You shouldn't be punting on any aspect of the process if you have a reasonable chance of improving on that aspect.

My advice, based on my mistakes this time around: create a clear narrative of your academic work and perspective. Your sop should be an "intellectual biography" 50% backwards looking and 50% forward looking, and your writing sample should be a strong continuation of that. make sure your writing sample is in your time period.

Edited by rainy_day

I think (and I may be speaking out of turn) most of us are stressed over finding time to complete all of the things necessary for the applications while completing our respective degree plans.

Agreed. Right now I'm mostly stressed over not having a writing sample. Since I'm completing my undergrad and so I'm in my junior year right now, I really haven't had to write any papers >8 pages. I think that one class I'm taking right now might start me off on the right foot as far as the WS goes, but looking at those 15-20 page requirements is daunting. And it's definitely going to be a challenge to do any of this stuff when fall semester rolls around and I have to focus on finishing out the last year of my degree. I'm looking forward to the summer as the time when I'll get most of this stuff done.

EDIT:

My advice, based on my mistakes this time around: create a clear narrative of your acidic work and perspective. Your sop should be an "intellectual biography" 50% backwards looking and 50% forward looking, and your writing sample should be a strong continuation of that. make sure your writing sample is in your time period.

Wow, that is such great advice. Especially the bold bit really just helped me solidify what the SoP should actually be. Thanks a lot for that. ^_^

Edited by siarabird

Think of it this way: grades and GREs are mostly for screening applications and weeding them out. Writing samples and statements of purpose are for making final decisions.

Your writing sample will get you into a school. Your GRE scores make sure that the writing sample gets read. You need a good enough combination of GPA and GREs to get your application to the admissions committee. But after that it doesn't matter much.

This is mostly fair and logical. GREs are not a great predictor of you successful you will be in academia. A sample of your academic writing, though, is a very good indicator of what kind of academic writer you are.

Like I said before, I would definitely second the advice about not focusing too much on the GREs. Do well on them if you can, yes, and present the most complete package to schools that you can. However, as everyone has said, the writing sample and SOP are much more important.

If you have lousy GREs (and by lousy I mean still good, just not stellar) but a good writing sample and good SOP, you might get accepted.

If you ace the GRE but your writing sample and SOP are mediocre at best, you will not be accepted. Simple as that. Adcomms won't make be saying to themselves, "Well, her writing sample was decent, but her GREs are 99%, so let's take her." They very may well say, "Well, her GREs weren't 99%, but her writing sample proves that she is overly qualified to be doing graduate level work."

In short, the GRE is the worst predictor adcomms have of judging the applicant's ability to perform at a graduate level. In fact, the reason a lot of schools require the GRE at all is because their financial aid packages are coming from the dean, and the dean wants some kind of quantitative evaluation of the applicants.

I know a lot of this has been said before, but it's worth repeating. Focus on your writing sample and SOP. Do as well as you can on the GREs and move on.

Agreed. Right now I'm mostly stressed over not having a writing sample. Since I'm completing my undergrad and so I'm in my junior year right now, I really haven't had to write any papers >8 pages. I think that one class I'm taking right now might start me off on the right foot as far as the WS goes, but looking at those 15-20 page requirements is daunting.

I'm in the same boat and I'm working on my Masters. Thus far, my lengthiest paper requirement has been 10 pages, which for most programs doesn't even meet the bare minimum. I'm taking two courses this summer and one requires a 20-25 page paper, which meets the requirement but it is an elective course and not 'entirely' in my field of study. It's a history course but the topic is interdisciplinary so I'm not entirely certain that will work. The second course is in my field of study but requires (2) 7 page pagers. Without the syllabus in hand its hard to determine if I'll be able to do two similar topics for the respective papers, and then later edit the two together to produce a 14 page writing sample for adcoms. My final seminar course (which requires a 25 page paper) isn't available until the fall semester, so unfortunately I won't be able to use that paper as a writing sample. For better or worse, its comforting to know that others are in the same boat as me.