Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

Have we all given up on Iowa? I didn't get that memo. Am I crazy to still have hope? I noticed that they accepted a few people already, but nothing since, no waitlists. Judging from previous years, they get back to people much later than they did this year, and there were several waitlists. Any insight, dmmar?

Have we all given up on Iowa? I didn't get that memo. Am I crazy to still have hope? I noticed that they accepted a few people already, but nothing since, no waitlists. Judging from previous years, they get back to people much later than they did this year, and there were several waitlists. Any insight, dmmar?

No idea. I didn't apply to Iowa in previous years.

However, it is possible that they're running later than usual. Although the director of the program called me pretty early (Feb 1st), he said said they would working out my financial package in the "near future," and I haven't heard back yet. I'm planning on sending an email tomorrow, and maybe their response will shed some light on how things are going for you all, too.

However, it is possible that they're running later than usual. Although the director of the program called me pretty early (Feb 1st), he said said they would working out my financial package in the "near future," and I haven't heard back yet. I'm planning on sending an email tomorrow, and maybe their response will shed some light on how things are going for you all, too.

Honestly, my initial response was "oh sad." But really, that was a terribly selfish response especially since I have three admits  (and to two of my top choices) and one waitlist already.  

So my response will now be: CONGRATULATIONS! and fingers crossed for those who really want and deserve Iowa. I'm rooting for you. 

Edited by Porridge

Okay! Let us know if you hear anything relevant!

Honestly, my initial response was "oh sad." But really, that was a terribly selfish response especially since I have three admits  (and to two of my top choices) and one waitlist already.  

So my response will now be: CONGRATULATIONS! and fingers crossed for those who really want and deserve Iowa. I'm rooting for you. 

I really want Iowa! Don't know about "deserve," but want, definitely!

Also, I can take classes at Harvard, RISD and MIT (so I might be able to sneak into classes with Jorie Graham, Stephen Burt, Mairead Byrne, Nick Montfort, etc.)

Huh, care to elaborate? :)

Huh, care to elaborate? :)

Brown students can take courses at other campuses in the area (getting into the said classes may or may not be easy, depending on how famous the person is--but yeah, cross enrollment is possible/part of the deal).

I think this is also the case for schools in New York... although I'm not fully sure about the details there (NYU, Columbia, CUNY, etc.)

Edited by bluecheese

I don't think it is lofty at all. 

Brown has amazing faculty--they even just stole Cole Swenson from Iowa.

C.D. Wright, Cole Swenson, Forrest Gander, Thalia Field, John Cayley, Catherine Imbriglio, Wendy Chun, and the recently retired Waldrops (who are a still a major presence in providence).

Also, I can take classes at Harvard, RISD and MIT (so I might be able to sneak into classes with Jorie Graham, Stephen Burt, Mairead Byrne, Nick Montfort, etc.)

BU has 3 faculty, and they are all aesthetically conservative (especially in a poetry landscape in which Black Ocean is one of the best selling presses--not that their aesthetic is my "thing"... I simply think what gets held up by awards and Barnes and Noble has very little do do with what is happening in contemporary poetry).

Sounds like you have a similar specialization as me. I didn't apply to Brown although I did consider it because of Cayley. I can see why you have made that choice. Well done!

Brown students can take courses at other campuses in the area (getting into the said classes may or may not be easy, depending on how famous the person is--but yeah, cross enrollment is possible/part of the deal).

I think this is also the case for schools in New York... although I'm not fully sure about the details there (NYU, Columbia, CUNY, etc.)

Also in Boston : BU, BC, Tufts and Brandeis have a similar arrangement.

Also in Boston : BU, BC, Tufts and Brandeis have a similar arrangement.
And if memory serves me Emerson, Harvard, Berklee, MIT....etc etc. A pretty sweet deal. Not sure about the extent but it certainly makes for interesting opportunities! Have you ever had the opportunity to take advantage? I'd be interested I knowing how "freely flowing" the consortium really is.

Wait listed at Rice! I cannot begin to explain what a relief this is. This is my first non-rejection of the season from a school I haven't already attended, and Rice was my number 2 right after WUSTL. (Though it could have competition from PSU and Maryland.) Bluecheese--thanks for turning Rice down so quickly!

Anyone have any idea how large that wait list is? Only two acceptances from Rice posted on the board, but it looks like 7 or 8 wait lists. I'm trying not to let myself believe that the wait list is 20 spots long, while we all compete to be one of the seven they're admitting this year. Yikes!

I just noticed the Rochester acceptance next to your Iowa one.  I'm going to wave a flag of congratulations for you, but I'm also going to go begin a nervous breakdown and possibly throw up too.

@Katia_chan and @thatjewishgirl—

Here's some hope: when Iowa called me, he said that I was in their "first round of acceptances." If there is a first round, there must be subsequent rounds, right?! And I haven't seen another wave of acceptances on the board yet.

Here's some hope: when Iowa called me, he said that I was in their "first round of acceptances." If there is a first round, there must be subsequent rounds, right?! And I haven't seen another wave of acceptances on the board yet.

Maybe it's done by subfield... Fingers crossed for Katia and jewishgirl.

This is good to know! I've been anxiously checking the website on Iowa once or twice a week since you posted your acceptance on the results board. It seemed strange for them to notify so early (seems to have been much later in previous years), and I kept thinking, "surely there will be more."

That is somewhat reassuring, thank you.  I did think it seemed rather early.  But that's awesome for you that they wanted you that quickly. :)

And sorry to be a bother, but might I inquire when you got your Rochester acceptance, and how it came?  I Emailed the DGS to find out when decisions were coming, but haven't heard back.  It's currently my top choice, and I'm already regretting asking the question. But I can't help it.

That is somewhat reassuring, thank you.  I did think it seemed rather early.  But that's awesome for you that they wanted you that quickly. :)

And sorry to be a bother, but might I inquire when you got your Rochester acceptance, and how it came?  I Emailed the DGS to find out when decisions were coming, but haven't heard back.  It's currently my top choice, and I'm already regretting asking the question. But I can't help it.

It's no bother! I just recently received the Rochester acceptance—on the 19th. The website sent an automated email first, and then about an hour later, I received an email from the DGS, who said she would also call me sometime in the next few days. (And that she was also mailing a copy. They're really hitting on all avenues of communication!)

COME ON, RUTGERS!!!! Ugh. This complete and total silence is killing me slowly...

Seriously!! It's the only school left that I haven't heard from without it being an assumed rejection. I swear, it has to be this weekend though. They seem to notify most people on Saturdays and a few on Friday though, so we should know in the next two days whether or not we made the cut.

Seriously!! It's the only school left that I haven't heard from without it being an assumed rejection. I swear, it has to be this weekend though. They seem to notify most people on Saturdays and a few on Friday though, so we should know in the next two days whether or not we made the cut.

They said they would be making decisions by Monday. My guess is that means we will be hearing next week.

Rutgers Rutgers Rutgers.... all I'm waiting for too before I'm "done" (including assumed rejections). Unless for some reason Stanford hasn't notified yet, which even still doesn't give me much cause to hope.

Rutgers Rutgers Rutgers.... all I'm waiting for too before I'm "done" (including assumed rejections). Unless for some reason Stanford hasn't notified yet, which even still doesn't give me much cause to hope. 

Seems that no one among us has yet heard from Stanford. Either they're in some serious deliberations, or no one from the Gradcafé made the cut. Hopefully, the former.

They said they would be making decisions by Monday. My guess is that means we will be hearing next week.

Ugh. They're my only remaining glimmer of hope of getting in this year. The last week of not hearing from them has been excruciating. I'm hoping the "by Monday" means they're done sooner than anticipated and that today's the day.

Thanks for the news on Iowa! That makes me feel better (especially now that you are turning them down! hah!), and like someone else pointed out, they have notified later in the year usually. My boss at my university here (Got his PhD from KU--recent PhD), said he notified Iowa he wanted to be taken off their list around this time that particular year, and they discouraged him from doing so since they usually get around to their decisions later than other programs. But he got in at KU with funding, and he wanted it, so he did have himself taken out of the running at Iowa.