obtaining a MSW out of state?

jmee011

Hey everyone! I am currently a junior double majoring in psychology and sociology, and planning to apply for a MSW for graduate schools. I'm interested in military social work; however the only school that has a military social work concention in California is USC (and I'm really unsure if I am willing to be THAT much in debt). The schools that include a military social work programs are mainly out of state. I want to eventually live back in California. Does anybody have some insight as how I may be able to do this (I know states have different rules). Or if I would only be able to go to USC for the program?

I have spent hours trying to find an answer without any luck. Any insight or suggestions would be much appreciated!

I don't know a lot about clinical licensing (I'm going to be a macro practice student and don't intend on seeking licensure), but if I recall correctly California is one of the states that requires supervised hours to be conducted in-state or with some other requirement that would make it desirable to begin one's supervised hours as an MSW student in field placement actually IN California.

That said, I'd check out the concentration at USC. What exactly are they offering beyond the normal curriculum for this "concentration"? Is it experience you may be able to get elsewhere through a field placement working with the military/veterans? Or could you construct a similar experience at a less expensive school? Just some thoughts. :) I have a friend who went to USC and loved it, so it's definitely not something to rule out completely even if the debt is an issue.

Good luck!

1. You can't start collecting supervision hours until you graduate and submit a supervision plan to your state's licensing board, it doesn't matter where you get your MSW.

2. MSW is a generalist degree. Although a school may have a concentration or coursework in military social work, you can get your degree anywhere and become a military social worker. Many many schools place students in VA Medical Centers or other settings where a student will work with the military population.

3. Most states require the ASWB test for licensure, and many have reciprocal agreements for this test. CA is a little wonky... they require licensed individuals to have a certain mix of supervision hours and proof of certain competencies earned in school ( I think related to human sexuality/biology, don't remember what else- look at the licensure page for CA). So.... if you think you are going to go to CA, make sure that the school you choose has courses that will count toward those requirements. (Not a huge deal if not- you'd just have to take CEU's back in CA that covered the topics). It is probably best to begin your post-degree licensure supervision in CA so you don't have to transfer licensure hours back and forth between states.

I have transferred licensure hours (and license_ between three states (including CA), and it's a bit of an exercise in hoop jumping, but ultimately it is feasible. Keep a good record of your hours and your supervision plans.

Oops, yes, this is what I was thinking of.

Thank you both for the advice- so helpful! I have a serious boyfriend and it is very likely that I will need to move out of state (he is in the military and does not know where he will be stationed yet). Our goal is to move back to California eventually, and I didn't want to have to put my education on hold.

If I comprehended everything correctly, I can obtain my MSW in any state I would like? And I just need to have my post- licensure hours in California?

I am pretty sure that is right, but obviously I am not the right person to ask. ;)

I know a couple of people who have moved to CA after going to school and practicing in other states and while it's been kind of a pain for them to get licensed it wasn't the end of the world. Also, knowing your boyfriend is in the military influences my answer to your question about the military concentration - if you think the school with the specific concentration is right for you, definitely go for it if you can afford it, but also consider doing some volunteer work or unofficial intern work where your boyfriend is stationed if at all possible. It sounds like you have some affiliations with the military that you could leverage to network if you take the initiative to do so. :)

• 2 years later...